Old July 27th 05, 10:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport,uk.rec.driving

Default Box Junction cameras to be rolled London wide following successful pilot

"Mizter T" wrote in news:1122215511.747360.127750
@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

Before reading this, I always thought I was technically in the wrong

But did it anyway.

--
MrBitsy

Old July 28th 05, 11:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport,uk.rec.driving

David from Oz wrote:
Coincidence - that is one junction in my area that I have nominated in
my letter to the council. On more than one occasion the North Circ has
been blocked here! I guess they will put up yellow signs "Do not
block the junction" when they first introduce the cameras to give the
motorists warning. I seem to remember seeing these somewhere before.

Unlikely the council can do anything there, the North Circular Road is
controlled by Tfl.

That junction should be grade-separated, of course, but failing that at
least having no right turns at all sides would ease the congestion
there.

Only Northbound traffic from the Wood Green end of the A105 would have
to take any real diversion - they could go ahead then right into
Oakthorpe Road. Larger vehicles should use Lordship Lane then join the
A1080 and A10, or go ahead then turn right into the A111 Hedge Lane.

Traffic from the A406 coming West should turn off at the Great
Cambridge roundabout then head along A111 Hedge Lane. Smaller vehicles
could optionally "rat-run" instead through Melville Gardens, but then
you wouldn't get as much traffic using that road who genuinely want to
remain on the North Circular.

Other traffic certainly doesn't need to turn right there - there are
loads of other routes.

Old July 29th 05, 03:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport,uk.rec.driving

"Earl Purple" wrote in message
oups.com...

Only Northbound traffic from the Wood Green end of
the A105 would have to take any real diversion - they
could go ahead then right into Oakthorpe Road. Larger
vehicles should use Lordship Lane then join the
A1080 and A10, or go ahead then turn right
into the A111 Hedge Lane.

This would go against planning principles. A better solution would be to
create w/b to e/b u-turning loop west of the junction - I am pretty sure
there is enough room there for it. Any traffic from the south to the east
would turn left at the junction and then u-turn.

Traffic from the A406 coming West should turn off at the Great
Cambridge roundabout then head along A111 Hedge Lane.

Or use the u-turning loop and then do a left.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old July 29th 05, 03:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport,uk.rec.driving

John Rowland wrote:
"Earl Purple" wrote in message
oups.com...

Only Northbound traffic from the Wood Green end of
the A105 would have to take any real diversion - they
could go ahead then right into Oakthorpe Road. Larger
vehicles should use Lordship Lane then join the
A1080 and A10, or go ahead then turn right
into the A111 Hedge Lane.

This would go against planning principles. A better solution would be to
create w/b to e/b u-turning loop west of the junction - I am pretty sure
there is enough room there for it. Any traffic from the south to the east
would turn left at the junction and then u-turn.

Traffic from the A406 coming West should turn off at the Great
Cambridge roundabout then head along A111 Hedge Lane.

Or use the u-turning loop and then do a left.

There is some space in Bowes Road but I don't really think there'd be
enough for a U-turning loop there, plus it has the disadvantage that
some of the right-turning traffic must negotiate the junction twice,
thus increasing the volume on the junction. Plus the U-turning loop
would have to be signal-controlled, and would be too close to the
junction and two signal-controls close together spell bad news (the
main problem of the Great Cambridge junction - I know I was planning to
push more traffic onto it. However it's on the North Circular I'm
trying to increase the flow). Remember it's the lorries that would be
using it - the small cars are more likely to use Oakthorpe Road. Your
solution might work though if built well, i.e. the A406 gets a longer
green. (Without right-turns, the A105 would not require such a long
green).