Old August 5th 06, 09:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Commuting times

Paul Corfield wrote:
On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 19:00:13 +0100, Dave Arquati wrote:

Paul Corfield wrote:
On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 17:12:59 +0100, Dave Arquati wrote:

Paul Corfield wrote:
What are the totals for other group posters just so we can see if people
typically do have long or short trip times?

Currently between 15-20 minutes each way by bike (Shepherd's Bush to
South Kensington, about 4km), going up to about 35 minutes by Tube (the
Bush to St James's Park) in September.
this suggest a new job - with LU or someone else?

TfL graduate scheme, but they're keeping very quiet about which
department I start in.

Well done. Ah - a future high flyer then. Well you could be with LU (55
Bdwy), Streets (Dacre St) or TfL centre at Windsor House. Obviously not
with buses or else you'd be at 172 Buck Palace Rd or Ecclestone Square.

Thanks. From my contract it looks like Windsor House.

I shall keep looking over my shoulder to see if you are looming in the
background to take over my job ;-)

Well, I haven't started yet so I wouldn't get too worried :-)

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Old August 5th 06, 09:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Steve M wrote:

Paul Corfield wrote:
What are the totals for other group posters just so we can see if
people
typically do have long or short trip times?

Currently between 15-20 minutes each way by bike (Shepherd's Bush to
South Kensington, about 4km), going up to about 35 minutes by Tube
(the Bush to St James's Park) in September.

this suggest a new job - with LU or someone else?

TfL graduate scheme, but they're keeping very quiet about which
department I start in.

Congrats - which scheme? I'm just coming to the end of mine... and yes,
when I started I didn't find out until my first day where I was to be
working.

Transport planning (hoorah) - looking forward to it! Any useful tips or
advice? (either on here or off list using my first name @ my website
address would be much appreciated)

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old August 5th 06, 10:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Dave Arquati wrote:
Steve M wrote:
wrote:

Paul Corfield wrote:
What are the totals for other group posters just so we can see if
people
typically do have long or short trip times?

Currently between 15-20 minutes each way by bike (Shepherd's Bush
to South Kensington, about 4km), going up to about 35 minutes by
Tube (the Bush to St James's Park) in September.

this suggest a new job - with LU or someone else?

TfL graduate scheme, but they're keeping very quiet about which
department I start in.

Congrats - which scheme? I'm just coming to the end of mine... and
yes, when I started I didn't find out until my first day where I was
to be working.

Transport planning (hoorah) - looking forward to it! Any useful tips or
advice? (either on here or off list using my first name @ my website
address would be much appreciated)

Same scheme as me - I joined in Oct 2004 after completing a degree in
Transport Management and Planning at Loughborough.

Best continued via email incase I give away any secrets...

Cheers

Steve M
Old August 6th 06, 03:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Grebbsy McLaren wrote:

Grebbsy

You're alive!

Old August 6th 06, 10:06 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 5 Aug 2006 15:47:45 +0100, "Clive D. W. Feather"
wrote:

In article , Paul Corfield
writes
"The average commuter is spending more than 139 hours per year
commuting, increasing substantially for Londoners who spend the
equivalent of one whole month per year (225 hours a year) travelling to
and from work."

I accept they are talking about average times but I struggle to see how
the average is so low.

According to a meeting I was at the other day, the *average* distance
from home to work, over the entire working population, is under 8 miles.

I now live about 9 miles from work, and it takes between 45 minutes
and an hour each way, depending which route I take.

--
James Farrar
. @gmail.com

Old August 6th 06, 12:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5245860.stm

"The average commuter is spending more than 139 hours per year
commuting, increasing substantially for Londoners who spend the
equivalent of one whole month per year (225 hours a year) travelling to
and from work."

I accept they are talking about average times but I struggle to see how
the average is so low. My commute time is about 40 mins in the morning
and 50 in the evening and is not particularly onerous compared to those
of my immediate work colleagues most of whom travel a considerable
distance by main line rail.

My annual total, based on about 45 weeks for the working year, comes out
at 337.5 hours. While I don't know exactly how the authors of the study
calculated their numbers the implication is that there are a lot more
relatively short commuting journeys in order to drag the average down.
What are the totals for other group posters just so we can see if people
typically do have long or short trip times?

About 10 to 20 minutes each way for me, 5 min stroll to TPL and then however
long the Picc taking that day to do TPL to AG.
--
Cheers, Steve.
Change from jealous to sad to reply.

Old August 6th 06, 07:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Weaver wrote:
Dave Arquati wrote:
Currently between 15-20 minutes each way by bike (Shepherd's Bush to
South Kensington, about 4km), going up to about 35 minutes by Tube (the
Bush to St James's Park) in September.

Wimp, I ride CHX-Shepherds Bush and back every day, and that's on top
of a train ride.

Congratulations, we're all very happy for you.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old August 6th 06, 09:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

It was a dark and stormy night when John Rowland
spam.demon.co.uk wrote in article .
uk...
Grebbsy McLaren wrote:

Grebbsy