Old January 8th 07, 08:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Most scenic route on the tube?

Mizter T wrote:
Paul Corfield wrote:

On Sun, 07 Jan 2007 22:45:50 GMT,
wrote:

"JFGrieve" wrote in message

wrote in message
What do you think is the most scenic route on the tube? Is it
the Amersham bit of the Metropolitain line?

Waterloo to Embankment

Why?

I think he might be teasing you by citing an example where there
is no view whatsoever.

Of course if you walk it you'll be treated to some great view over
the river as you cross one of the two Hungerford Millennium
footbridges.

They're not Millennium bridges. You're perhaps thinking of that
interesting suspension bridge downstream. The bridges are officially
the Golden Jubilee Bridges.
--
Richard J.

Old January 8th 07, 08:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote:

"JFGrieve" wrote in message

wrote in message
What do you think is the most scenic route on the tube? Is it the
Amersham bit of the Metropolitain line?

Waterloo to Embankment

Why?

I think he might be teasing you by citing an example where there is no
view whatsoever.

Of course if you walk it you'll be treated to some great view over the
river as you cross one of the two Hungerford Millennium footbridges.

I prefer the view from Waterloo Bridge which is one of my favourite
London views.

I agree, I think it must come out top of all the on bridge related
views.

Alternatively you could spend the time people watching instead. The
author of the Going Underground blog is certainly fascinated by the
Tube's fashion victims [1]. As, indeed, am I!

I had a quick look at the blog - I can't get into that at all. And as
for the fashion sniping well I'm sure people could spend their time more
effectively. I mean really - there must be something better to do while
travelling round on the tube e.g. sleeping!

To be honest my comments regarding that blog were somewhat flippant and
were prompted more by some subconscious need to write catchy yet
ultimately naff prose than a desire to reflect my own views. I actually
sort-of think the blog it's a touch invasive, well it's certainly not
cutting social commentary. I guess what I meant to say was that the
Tube is, as many public places are, a good place for people watching -
though I don't think I get a gold star in being observant for saying
that.

And no I'm not the weirdo who spend his time staring piercingly at
everyone else in the carriage! I'm more likely to be the person who's
surreptitiously eyeing up the carriage for an abandoned quality (i.e.
not free) newspaper, having managed to forget my book and having
annoyingly mislaid my own paper at a mystery location somewhere during
the day.

Or perhaps I'm shiftily putting my in my earphones, painfully aware of
how this action means I become yet another member of the regimented
masses of iPodistas, yet still hoping that my choice of thoughful
listening, a Radio 4 podcast of Melvyn Bragg's In Our Time programme
concerning the philosopher Ludwig Wittgenstein, might somehow mean I
get a little more out of my personal audio experience than listening to
the latest hits of some up and coming beat-combo, but I'll probably
finish my journey even more confused than when I started it and without
the planned feeling of smug one-upmanship over my fellow subterranean
riders (though of course there's the consolation that Melvyn Bragg
seems to have had a similarly hard time feigning understanding of the
topic and has only just managed to maintain his everpresent mask of
smugness). Anyway, I digress.

Though as my present
wardrobe isn't spectacularly outlandish maybe I should be joining
them... perhaps I'll travel as a Tiger, replete with snogging
accessory[2]... I think this might be veering off-topic!

I already have a particular mental picture of what you must be like. It
would probably go into meltdown if you were to do this. g

I'm not sure whether I should be disturbed or very disturbed ;-)
I just measured the tone of utl using Tom Andersen's past posts so I
think he should take all the blame.

Plus, unfortunately, I somewhat think Dom Joly's beaten me to it in the
old dressing up as animals in public routine. Shame.
http://www.comedycentral.com/images/shows/trigger_happy_tv/downloads/thtv_wallpaper02_800x600.jpg

Old January 8th 07, 08:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Richard J. wrote:

Mizter T wrote:

(snip)

Of course if you walk it you'll be treated to some great view over
the river as you cross one of the two Hungerford Millennium
footbridges.

They're not Millennium bridges. You're perhaps thinking of that
interesting suspension bridge downstream. The bridges are officially
the Golden Jubilee Bridges.

Of course they are, your correction is appreciated. Though I am
thinking of the pair of Hungerford footbridges and not the
no-longer-wobbly Millenium Bridge.

I'm pretty certain they have some Millennium connection - were they not
a Millennium project, funded by the Millenium Commission?

However for reasons unknown my memory suggests that they were once
given the provisional moniker of the "Hungerford Millennium Bridges"
and were renamed to the Golden Jubilee Bridges given that they were
late for the Millennium. Given that I can find scant reference to
support this it seems I must have made it up.

Old January 8th 07, 09:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london
sb sb is offline

"JFGrieve" wrote in message

wrote in message
What do you think is the most scenic route on the tube? Is it the
Amersham bit of the Metropolitain line?

Waterloo to Embankment

Why?

I think he might be teasing you by citing an example where there is no
view whatsoever.

Of course if you walk it you'll be treated to some great view over the
river as you cross one of the two Hungerford Millennium footbridges.

I prefer the view from Waterloo Bridge which is one of my favourite
London views.

The Kinks thought this as well.

SB

Old January 8th 07, 09:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Paul Corfield
writes
I prefer the view from Waterloo Bridge which is one of my favourite
London views.

As it is mine, too. In fact, during training I was admonished for
suggesting people look both ways from the bridge as we crossed it in a
coach!
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk
Old January 8th 07, 09:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message . com, sb
writes
I prefer the view from Waterloo Bridge which is one of my favourite
London views.

The Kinks thought this as well.

"Waterloo Sunset" happens to be my favourite song of all time.

I suppose to answer the OP's question, we really need to know if s/he
means the most scenic as being "beautiful" or "interesting". For the
former, I really do love the outer sections of the Met. To my regret
I've not done the Chesham branch. Must put that right one day.

For "interesting" I'd put the suburban splendour of the outer bits of
the Piccadilly (both ends, actually), shared Piccadilly/District
alignment and the original section of the Metropolitan.

Actually, for interest I'm more a "stations" person than a trains one,
so my list of interesting (beautiful, even) stations would have to
include:

Southgate/Oakwood/Sudbury for 30s splendour

Baker Street for design and early Underground atmosphere

Gants Hill for the "Moscow" concourse

Newbury Park for the slightly wacky bus station (if it's still there?)

Maida Vale for the best bit of Leslie Green design not by Leslie Green

Westminster and Canary Wharf to show that London Underground today can -
when it tries - follow in the Holden/Pick tradition.

I'm sure there are other excellent ones I've missed!

Old January 8th 07, 10:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

asdf wrote:
Acton Town Plt 5

Where's that?

On the north side of the station, next to the eastbound District line
platform. Now has advertising hoarings built over part of the trackbed.
There is/used to be a view of the platform area from the eastern of the
two footbridges, showing the stairs down and the platform still extant,
although the rebuilding work currently taking place at Acton Town may
now prevent this. The platform used to serve the District shuttle to
South Acton.

Old January 8th 07, 10:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Ian Jelf wrote:

Newbury Park for the slightly wacky bus station (if it's still there?)

I call it the Toast Rack, and it was still there last summer.