Old January 9th 07, 09:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Most scenic route on the tube?

Yes, Chalfont & Latimer to Chesham is nice with its views of the Chess
Valley.

But I thought that Leicester Square-Covent Garden was the shortest distance
between two stations on London's rail transport network.

wrote in message

Although between Chalfont & Latimer and Chesham its the longest gap
between two stations. And the shortest I think is between Herons Quays and
Canary Wharf.

Old January 9th 07, 10:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying :

Although between Chalfont & Latimer and Chesham its the longest gap
between two stations. And the shortest I think is between Herons
Quays and Canary Wharf.

But I thought that Leicester Square-Covent Garden was the shortest
distance between two stations on London's rail transport network.

Shortest street distance, p'raps.
Shortest line distance may well be on the DLR.
Old January 9th 07, 11:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield:
I prefer the view from Waterloo Bridge which is one of my favourite
London views.

Ian Jelf:
As it is mine, too. In fact, during training I was admonished for
suggesting people look both ways from the bridge as we crossed it in a
coach!

This was the training to be a Registered Blue Badge Tourist Guide?
Why the admonition?
--
Mark Brader "Well, it's not in MY interest -- and I represent
Toronto the public, so it's not in the public interest!"
Old January 10th 07, 08:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Mark Brader
writes
Paul Corfield:
I prefer the view from Waterloo Bridge which is one of my favourite
London views.

Ian Jelf:
As it is mine, too. In fact, during training I was admonished for
suggesting people look both ways from the bridge as we crossed it in a
coach!

This was the training to be a Registered Blue Badge Tourist Guide?

Yes,

Why the admonition?

Because you can't expect people to do two things at once, or at least
not *look* at two things at one. You should choose one item and them
if there's time the other. The "correct" technique is to describe the
"TVP" (Total visual priority" first and then go onto other (perhaps
equally or more interesting things. If you don't do this, then people
will ignore what you say as they look at the TVP.

For example, entering Parliament Square, you might as well talk about
the Palace of Westminster first because if you don't, that's all people
will be looking at anyway, so they'll ignore you.

In the case of Waterloo Bridge, I thought that the Westminster ("Big
Ben" [1]) view and the City (Saint Paul's dome) views were equally
important.

The correct thing to do would have been to prepare people to look one
way (I do Westminster) first before you go onto the Bridge, then when
that's described and you're part way over get them to look the other
way. It usually works and is an important if not obvious piece of
technique.

[1] before anyone talks about towers clocks and bells, yes I know!

--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk

Old January 10th 07, 08:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london

My first reply to mark was so filled with grammatical and typing errors
that I'm submitting it again!

"Because you can't expect people to do two things at once, or at least
not *look* at two things at once. You should choose one item and then,
if there's time, the other. The "correct" technique is to describe
the "TVP" (Total Visual Priority) first and then go onto other (perhaps
equally or more interesting) things. If you don't do this, then people
will ignore what you say as they look at the TVP.

For example, on entering Parliament Square you might as well talk about
the Palace of Westminster first because if you don't, well that's all
people will be looking at anyway, so they'll ignore you.

In the case of Waterloo Bridge, I thought that the Westminster ("Big
Ben" [1]) view and the City (Saint Paul's dome) view were equally

Old January 10th 07, 10:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Ian Jelf writes:

In fact, during training I was admonished for suggesting people
look both ways from the bridge as we crossed it in a coach!

Because you can't expect people to do two things at once, or at least
not *look* at two things at once. You should choose one item and then,
if there's time, the other. The "correct" technique is to describe
the "TVP" (Total Visual Priority) first and then go onto other (perhaps
equally or more interesting) things. If you don't do this, then people
will ignore what you say as they look at the TVP.

It appears that the actual rule is that people can't be expected to look
at one thing and listen to the guide speaking about another. At this
point it becomes tempting to make a crack about the sort of people who
take guided tours, but that would be a cheap shot, I guess.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "A good programmer is someone who looks both ways
Old January 11th 07, 06:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Mark Brader
writes
Ian Jelf writes:

In fact, during training I was admonished for suggesting people
look both ways from the bridge as we crossed it in a coach!

Because you can't expect people to do two things at once, or at least
not *look* at two things at once. You should choose one item and then,
if there's time, the other. The "correct" technique is to describe
the "TVP" (Total Visual Priority) first and then go onto other (perhaps
equally or more interesting) things. If you don't do this, then people
will ignore what you say as they look at the TVP.

It appears that the actual rule is that people can't be expected to look
at one thing and listen to the guide speaking about another. At this
point it becomes tempting to make a crack about the sort of people who
take guided tours, but that would be a cheap shot, I guess.

Not at all! :-)

In fact for my own tours I have a publicity tag-line about them being
"Tours for people who don't take guides tours"!

On the other hand, when I'm doing "third party" stuff (eg for tour
operators), I get all sorts!

For the record, I usually *hate* taking guided tours when I visit
somewhere.......

Old January 12th 07, 01:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 01:48:11 GMT, Richard J. wrote:

Ok then whats the shortest distance on the Underground?

Leicester Square to Covent Garden, 0.16 mile (0.26 km).

Enbankment to Charing Cross on the Northern Line can't be much
longer either, but I don't know how far it is.

According to Clive Feather's site http://www.davros.org/rail/culg/ ,
it's also 0.26 km to the nearest 10 metres. The LU site says that
Leicester Square to Covent Garden is the shortest.

IIRC, Leicester Square to Covent Garden is the shortest distance by
rail, but Embankment to Charing Cross (Northern) is the shortest as
the crow flies.
Old January 12th 07, 09:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london

asdf wrote:
Ok then whats the shortest distance on the Underground?

Leicester Square to Covent Garden, 0.16 mile (0.26 km).

Enbankment to Charing Cross on the Northern Line can't be much
longer either, but I don't know how far it is.

According to Clive Feather's site http://www.davros.org/rail/culg/ ,
it's also 0.26 km to the nearest 10 metres. The LU site says that
Leicester Square to Covent Garden is the shortest.

IIRC, Leicester Square to Covent Garden is the shortest distance by
rail, but Embankment to Charing Cross (Northern) is the shortest as
the crow flies.

Indeed. You can walk from the Villiers Street entrance of CX to
Embankment - ie the length of Villers Street - in about 3 minutes,
whereas it's a good 6 minutes from Leicester Square to Covent Garden.
However, it's quite a long walk (roughly towards Trafalgar Square) from
the Villers Street entrance to the Northern Line platform.

Side note: there can't be too many buildings in the world that contain
3 stations, a gay disco and an accounting firm...

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org