Old January 21st 07, 03:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default Penalty fares for sitting in First Class

DaveP wrote:
those days) and I regularly upgraded to First - if I had time I would
do it at the ticket office or if the train was busy I would sit in
first and pay the excess fare - definately only the difference between

You can do this if you have a normal ticket, but not a season ticket. If
you have a season ticket you are treated as a fare-dodger and they will
likely withdraw the season ticket at the same time for inappropriate use.

The conditions of carriage state the ticket upgrade must be purchased
before the journey begins if you have a season.

Regards, Dave

Thanks for all the comments - it just seemed that it was no longer
possible under any circumstances to upgrade once you had boarded the
train.

As I am now retired and have a disabled wife who cannot easily use
public transport my train travel is very restricted nowadays

Thanks again

Bill

Old January 21st 07, 04:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

DaveP wrote:
those days) and I regularly upgraded to First - if I had time I would
do it at the ticket office or if the train was busy I would sit in
first and pay the excess fare - definately only the difference between

You can do this if you have a normal ticket, but not a season ticket. If
you have a season ticket you are treated as a fare-dodger and they will
likely withdraw the season ticket at the same time for inappropriate use.

The conditions of carriage state the ticket upgrade must be purchased
before the journey begins if you have a season.

Regards, Dave

Thanks for the comments - the way the thread started it sounded as
though it was not possible under any circumstances to upgrade.

As I am now retired and my wife is disabled and unable to easily use
public transport my train travel is very restricted

Thanks for the replies

Bill

Old January 21st 07, 04:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

DaveP wrote:
But the whole point of first class is so that people pay not to have
to sit next to people like you (or me).

On long distances I can understand this, along with the seat service that's
what you pay for (although I imagine in most cases, that's what your
company pays for).

It's not a problem having first class on commuter trains if the rest of the
train has space to carrying everyone who wants to travel. All this crap the
train companies spout about people having flexible tickets and not knowing
when they might travel is ********. They've made a financial choice to put
short trains on and should just say so.

Regards, Dave

To my mind there's a difference between first class on a long-distance
service, which is primarily aimed at the business traveller who wants
to/is expected to work on the train and doesn't want any distractions,
and on a suburban service where it's largely a matter of those who can
afford to paying more for a comfy seat on the way to and from work.

As regards first being declassified where it isn't advertised in the
timetable, the interesting one for me is the 321/4 that Northern
currently have on hire for Leeds-Doncaster diagrams. A colleague who
commutes from Sandal & Agbrigg has often used the first class
compartment, however if I were a first class ticket holder who changed
at Doncaster I'd expect it to be treated as full first class (even
though it's essentially a bonus in the circumstances).

Old January 21st 07, 06:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Mystery Flyer" wrote in message
A long time ago (1984 ish) I was on a First Class Only service from
Crewe I seem to rembember. Do such things still exist. The RPI let me of
on the grounds that it was the only train to get me to where I was going
but he said I should technically have not got on it at all!

That was presumably the Manchester Pullman. It, and its predecessor the
Midland Pullman, were the only first class only scheduled daytime trains of
the BR era, and between them ran from about 1960 to 1984. There were also a
few trains formed of first class sleeping cars only, such as the 'Night
Limited' (Euston - Glasgow).

In the Victorian era first class only trains were not unusual - the Great
North of Scotland Railway even ran a train which was advertised as first
class only, but third class accommodation available for servants
accompanying passengers travelling first class.

AFAIK there haven't been any first class only scheduled trains since 1984.

Peter

Old January 21st 07, 06:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Peter Masson" wrote in message

[...]

The only first class only we worked on the Southern was the Boat Trains
Waterloo/Southampton Docks where my guards at Clapham Jct and RPI's at
Cannon Street at a later date were employed in 'Cap doffing duties'

Old January 21st 07, 06:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"4sub" wrote

The only first class only we worked on the Southern was the Boat Trains
Waterloo/Southampton Docks where my guards at Clapham Jct and RPI's at
Cannon Street at a later date were employed in 'Cap doffing duties'

In the 1960s the Southern also ran first class only trains from Waterloo to
Ascot for the Royal Ascot Race Meeting - using 4CORs, with the second class
seats reclqassified by the simple expedient of adding antimacassars. The
Western ran a 'First Class and Members' Special' from Paddington to Newbury
Racecourse, and included a couple of 'Ocean Saloons' in teh rake.

Peter