Old January 24th 07, 09:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Trains no longer waiting for pulling-up train

There have historically been white (compulsory) bus stops and red
(request) bus stops in London. There still are. Children are taught

At a white stop, you shouldn't need to. That's not laziness.

I've always felt if you want to get on the bus then it's no harm putting
your arm up to stop it, it's only a few calories effort and it's never
failed me yet.

However if buses no longer stop at compulsory stops then they should change
all the signs to red to avoid confusion.

Old January 24th 07, 11:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 23 Jan, 14:45, "MIG" wrote:
It's a kind of passenger protest some of the time. "I don't care how
annoying it is to you to have a chorus of rings at every stop. Perhaps
if you generally stopped at bus stops you'd have a quieter ride."

Actually when I am on a bus making a journey of any distance I would
rather the bus pass as many stops as possible. In fact I am pretty
certain there is some organisation out there ensuring that every bus
stop on the route gets used because at almost every minor bus stop
there seems to be at least one person that uses it (I label them the
"dingers").

Old January 24th 07, 11:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Sorry for being so indistinct. Probably didn't make a lot of sense there.
:-))I can tell you why the Met and Jubilee no longer wait at Wembley Park,

the system of lights does not work, so the Met don't know that the
Jubillee train is there and vice versa, the system still works at
Finchley Road though.

Last time I made that interchange (Jubilee to Met Southbound) the
Jubilee line train sat for a while just before the station, obviously
held there purposely to make us miss the interchange, then the
Metropolitan Line train closed its doors the moment we started to
cross, and we had to wait about 5 minutes for the next one.

Also this is a voluntary system, if we're running late we don't have too
wait.

I can understand at peak times if there are trains every minute or so.
Otherwise it does nothing but infuriate passengers (who may next time
choose to take their cars).

Old January 24th 07, 11:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 24 Jan, 10:27, Barry Salter wrote:

The most extreme example I've experienced was when I was coming back
from work one day. I got the 22:40 299 from Muswell Hill Broadway, with
the intention of catching the 23:00 W6 from Southgate. As it was around
22:55 when we got to Ye Olde Cherry Tree, I got off the 299 there and
had just crossed the road and was walking back to the W6 stop when it
shot past me, before it was even due to leave Southgate Station, and I
had to wait nigh on 40 minutes for the last bus of the night.

Cheers,

Barry

Next time take the car.

Old January 24th 07, 12:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 10:27:13 +0000, Barry Salter
wrote:

Paul Corfield wrote:

TfL publishes where it does it timing checks for each route and on my
local route the checks are most certainly not done at the extreme ends
of the route.

snip

Some of them a
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/buses/about/pe...ocationsq2.pdf
(Page 16 for the 123 locations)

The trouble with my usual local route (the W6) is that the measuring
points *are* at the terminals, but as the monitoring doesn't take place
from first bus to last bus and the drivers know when they're being
monitored, it produces results that bear very little resemblance to reality.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/buses/about/pe...ocationsq2.pdf
(bottom of page 40 for the W6)

Shows a location called Palmers Green II was used during the last
published quarter. The previous issue shows that Palmers Green II has
been used from 01/04/06.
I believe that Palmers Green II is the junction of Green Lanes and
Hedge Lane.

Old January 24th 07, 01:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 24 Jan, 12:25, "Earl Purple" wrote:

Last time I made that interchange (Jubilee to Met Southbound) the
Jubilee line train sat for a while just before the station, obviously
held there purposely to make us miss the interchange, then the
Metropolitan Line train closed its doors the moment we started to
cross, and we had to wait about 5 minutes for the next one.

Do you really believe that? More likely there was a train just ahead
that had only just left, which is why you needed to wait for the signal
to clear.

I can understand at peak times if there are trains every minute or so.
Otherwise it does nothing but infuriate passengers (who may next time
choose to take their cars).

But even five minutes is a pretty regular service, it has to be said. I
also doubt that anyone would go back to their car for the sake of being
kept on the platform.

At Finsbury Park, it would be nice if FCC held trains so people could
change from a Kings Cross service to the ones going to Moorgate (and
vice versa). In practice, it would be impossible and could delay other
services (including GNER and Hull Trains) that would in turn mean other
trains lose their paths. Chaos!

Jonathan

Old January 24th 07, 01:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007, Steve Fitzgerald wrote:

In message . 145, Tristán
White writes

I must say though that the courtesy between DLR trains at Poplar
(people going from Canary Wharf to Beckton and changing at Poplar) is
still alive and well and trains indeed wait. But no such courtesy
between District and Central any more.

That's because the system is drive by computer and the train is
generally held until the connecting one arrives. Nothing really to do
with being polite.

Nonsense - the computer is programmed to be polite!

tom

--
wicked wicked jungle is massive i said wicked wicked jungle is massive
well big up cos this is the incredible genral -- fabien, sniffunsnuffun
Old January 24th 07, 02:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jan 23, 10:36 pm, "Richard J." wrote:

... the timetable in ruins! It always amazes me that there seems, on
the manually driven lines at any rate, to be little or no automated
assistance to the driver to keep to the timetable.

Is it really necessary to stick strictly to the timetable if you're
running a service as frequent as every 2 minutes? Surely you'd just
feed the trains "into" the system at roughly the right frequency from
each end, and keep them moving as quickly as possible. I'd agree,
though, that if the service is really that frequent holding connections
is probably counter-productive.

Neil

Old January 24th 07, 03:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Last time I made that interchange (Jubilee to Met Southbound) the
Jubilee line train sat for a while just before the station, obviously
held there purposely to make us miss the interchange,

Or the driver didn't want to have a SPAD, get sacked and cause a walkout!

then the
Metropolitan Line train closed its doors the moment we started to
cross, and we had to wait about 5 minutes for the next one.

If the driver didn't know you were there, or if he's running late whats
he to do, sit for as long as you want him to wait and hold up trains
behind, there's always a line to be drawn the doors have to close and
the train depart it will always annoy someone.

Also this is a voluntary system, if we're running late we don't have too
wait.

I can understand at peak times if there are trains every minute or so.
Otherwise it does nothing but infuriate passengers (who may next time
choose to take their cars).

Take the car, pay the congestion charge, the fuel tax, road tax,
maintenance etc etc etc, and have no where to park, it's your/their choice.