Old March 24th 09, 09:56 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Extra Watford Junction - Euston services from May

"Neil Williams" wrote in message
On Tue, 24 Mar 2009 20:38:40 -0000, "Zen83237"
wrote:

12 years in power and finally Claire Ward is getting off her backside and
doing something.

Talking to London Midland about something they were going to do
anyway, you mean? It was their idea, and they told me about it at a
Meet the Manager about 6 months ago, though at that point it was
planned to start in December, not May. It was one of the reasons for
their request to retain further 321s, a figure which I now believe is
up to 10 rather than the original 7.

Neil

--
Neil Williams

It might even have had something to do with me and colleagues freezing our
butts off on stations and squeezing on to rush hour trains to come up with
the actual loading figures for managers to make a decision!

MaxB

Old March 24th 09, 10:07 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Mar 24, 9:51*pm, (Neil Williams)
wrote:
On Tue, 24 Mar 2009 21:49:08 -0000, "Paul Scott"

wrote:
I wonder if back then they were not expecting to retain any 321s once the
350/2s had all arrived.

They were - they let slip that they were keeping 7 at the MtM before
the one when they mentioned the Watford services, as I recall.

Maybe LM persuaded DfT that it was a bit silly to be trumpeting an
increase in capacity without LM actually having any more units to run
their services. I assume that the 321s will be kept at least until LM
get their share of the 1300 DfT vehicles (although that was only an
extra 4 x 4 coach units for Euston - Northampton) or maybe until the
planned IEP units arrive to replace the Northampton Fasts.
Old March 25th 09, 06:57 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Batman55" wrote

It might even have had something to do with me and colleagues freezing our
butts off on stations and squeezing on to rush hour trains to come up with
the actual loading figures for managers to make a decision!

Southeastern 375s have load wighing to give the managers this information.
What other TOCs use this system?

Peter

Old March 25th 09, 08:10 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 24 Mar, 21:49, "Paul Scott" wrote:
wrote:
On Mar 24, 9:11 pm, (Neil Williams)
wrote:
On Tue, 24 Mar 2009 20:59:22 GMT,
(Neil

Williams) wrote:
Talking to London Midland about something they were going to do
anyway, you mean? It was their idea, and they told me about it at a
Meet the Manager about 6 months ago, though at that point it was

Actually possibly it wasn't that long ago. But still...

Steve Banaghan did mention it at an Abfly meeting last October, but
said it would probably come in December 2010.

I wonder if back then they were not expecting to retain any 321s once the
350/2s had all arrived. Originally all 37 321s were lined up for other TOCs
in the DfT rolling stock plan. So the extra services would require the later
additions planned for the LM fleet.

It is still possible that however many 321s they initially retain, they will
subsequently be replaced by more 350s anyway.

Paul S

Yes, there's an OJEU notice out for between 8 and 11 four-car trains
(to replace the retained 321s?) and 18 3-car trains.
The guess (and it really is a guess) is that the DfT has decided to
send the 323s to Northern, rather than order new trains there, and put
new trains into the West Midlands.
Assuming these trains have to work with the existing fleet the spec
all but says "Desiro" on it, and this would be quite sensible - give
two TOCs a single-train-type fleet rather than splits.

Tony
Old March 25th 09, 08:11 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 25 Mar, 07:57, "Peter Masson" wrote:
"Batman55" wrote

It might even have had something to do with me and colleagues freezing our
butts off on stations and squeezing on to rush hour trains to come up with
the actual loading figures for managers to make a decision!

Southeastern 375s have load wighing to give the managers this information.
What other TOCs use this system?

Peter

Southern 377s and, I thought, LM 350s...! (I'm sure its a franchise
commitment?).

There are others - possibly on SWT?

Tony

Old March 25th 09, 09:01 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 24 Mar, 21:41, wrote:

Steve Banaghan did mention it at an Abfly meeting last October, but
said it would probably come in December 2010.

The logical conclusion to this in my view is that the infrastructure
work should be done to allow through running to St Albans on a half-
hourly 8-car service to/from Euston throughout the day with a few peak
extras, and to withdraw all stops south of Watford (and some at
Watford) from other services.

Neil
Old March 25th 09, 09:23 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 25 Mar, 10:01, Neil Williams wrote:
On 24 Mar, 21:41, wrote:

Steve Banaghan did mention it at an Abfly meeting last October, but
said it would probably come in December 2010.

The logical conclusion to this in my view is that the infrastructure
work should be done to allow through running to St Albans on a half-
hourly 8-car service to/from Euston throughout the day with a few peak
extras, and to withdraw all stops south of Watford (and some at
Watford) from other services.

8 coach services to St. Albans looks expensive!! All of the stations
would need extended platforms and St. Albans Abbey might be a bit
cramped to fit a longer platform in. I'm not saying that it isn't a
good idea, but it would be easier to get the 30 min service running
first, with the loop at Bricket Wood (which was the original plan) and
maybe adding 4 coaches at Watford Junction. I.e. work the service like
the Birmingham services which detach / attach at Northampton.
Old March 25th 09, 05:22 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:

12 years in power and finally Claire Ward is getting off her backside and
doing something.

Talking to London Midland about something they were going to do
anyway, you mean? It was their idea, and they told me about it at a
Meet the Manager about 6 months ago, though at that point it was
planned to start in December, not May. It was one of the reasons for
their request to retain further 321s, a figure which I now believe is
up to 10 rather than the original 7.

Neil

--
Neil Williams

Well there you go, a politician for you.

Kevin

Old March 25th 09, 09:30 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

8 coach services to St. Albans looks expensive!! All of the stations
would need extended platforms and St. Albans Abbey might be a bit
cramped to fit a longer platform in. I'm not saying that it isn't a
good idea, but it would be easier to get the 30 min service running
first, with the loop at Bricket Wood (which was the original plan) and
maybe adding 4 coaches at Watford Junction. I.e. work the service like
the Birmingham services which detach / attach at Northampton.

Fair point, and you'd require 2 fewer units (I think), as the two that
were on the branch while 1 is sitting in the platform at Watford would
only be 4-car.

Plus realign the track from the St Albans Abbey line back into
platform 10 at Watford Junction and save plenty of money on having to
re-signal from the main line into the existing platform 11, and while
they are at it, they can put the track back in next to platform 10!

John Burke