Old July 15th 09, 02:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Tube to Battersea

In article
,
(John B) wrote:

An acquaintance has just been briefed on progress on the Battersea
Power Stations Northern Line extension:
http://bit.ly/riSsr

Semi-off-the-record-ly, he's been told that the feasibility studies
are done, that TfL, LU, the GLA, LB Wandsworth and LB Lambeth are all
in favour of the project, that (entirely private) finance is almost
complete, that a provisional route from Kennington to Battersea via
Nine Elms has been earmarked, and that RFPs for project managers,
engineers and lead contractors will go out shortly.

Meanwhile LU will look at funding options to extend the work to
Clapham Junction at public expense.

The project was presented at the Rail 09 conference I attended recently. I
was surprised to see the scheme looking so far ahead.

My first reaction to "Northern Line to Battersea" was to ask if it was
lost but the scheme does seem to make sense.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Old July 15th 09, 02:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Graham Harrison) wrote:

"John B" wrote in message
On Jul 15, 12:37 pm, "Graham Harrison"
wrote:
"John B" wrote in message

An acquaintance has just been briefed on progress on the Battersea
Power Stations Northern Line extension:
http://bit.ly/riSsr

Semi-off-the-record-ly, he's been told that the feasibility studies
are done, that TfL, LU, the GLA, LB Wandsworth and LB Lambeth are
all in favour of the project, that (entirely private) finance is
almost complete, that a provisional route from Kennington to
Battersea via Nine Elms has been earmarked, and that RFPs for
project managers, engineers and lead contractors will go out
shortly.

My first reaction was "Seems a pity not to connect either proposed
station with any other rail/underground station even if it's only
Battersea Park." but thinking about it what sort of travel
opportunities would that open? Not many I suspect. Going on to
Clapham Junction might be worthwhile but even then I'm not wholly
convinced.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nine_Elms_railway_station

I don't see the relevance. The market operates at times when the
tube is closed.

The scheme assumes the market will move. Redevelopment of the site will
pay for the new station.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old July 15th 09, 02:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"tim....." wrote in message

"Graham Harrison" wrote in
message ...

My first reaction was "Seems a pity not to connect either proposed
station with any other rail/underground station even if it's only
Battersea Park." but thinking about it what sort of travel opportunities
would that open? Not many I suspect. Going on to Clapham Junction might
be worthwhile but even then I'm not wholly convinced.

It helps everyone who arrives on the Victoria "side" who wants to go to
the city.

Almost anyone arriving on the Victoria side who wants to go to the city is
on the wrong train in the first place. They should go to London Bridge
instead.

D A Stocks

Old July 15th 09, 08:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jul 15, 3:11*pm, "David A Stocks" wrote:

"tim....." wrote:

"Graham Harrison" wrote:

My first reaction was "Seems a pity not to connect either proposed
station with any other rail/underground station even if it's only
Battersea Park." but thinking about it what sort of travel opportunities
would that open? Not many I suspect. * Going on to Clapham Junction might
be worthwhile but even then I'm not wholly convinced.

It helps everyone who arrives on the Victoria "side" who wants to go to
the city.

Almost anyone arriving on the Victoria side who wants to go to the city is
on the wrong train in the first place. They should go to London Bridge
instead.

Easier said than done in some circumstances though - look at the south
eastern lines that only serve Victoria. A recent example was Maidstone
- peak trains only go to Victoria from this Kentish town, though there
are off-peak trains to London Bridge (but the capacity at London
Bridge presumably isn't there for a peak time service).

Old July 15th 09, 08:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 15 July, 20:52, Mizter T wrote:
On Jul 15, 12:26*pm, John B wrote:

An acquaintance has just been briefed on progress on the Battersea
Power Stations Northern Line extension:http://bit.ly/riSsr

Semi-off-the-record-ly, he's been told that the feasibility studies
are done, that TfL, LU, the GLA, LB Wandsworth and LB Lambeth are all
in favour of the project, that (entirely private) finance is almost
complete, that a provisional route from Kennington to Battersea via
Nine Elms has been earmarked, and that RFPs for project managers,
engineers and lead contractors will go out shortly.

Meanwhile LU will look at funding options to extend the work to
Clapham Junction at public expense.

Cripes. I can hardly believe it. I honestly thought it was all total
pie-in-the-sky stuff.

*If* this can honestly, really be done on a by privately funded basis,
then fair enough - all power to their elbow. *But* if it ends up
costing wads of public dosh, then I'd place extending the Bakerloo
line to Camberwell (and beyond) as a far higher priority.

Absobloominlutely. That extension has been waiting nearly a hundred
years, with more need than ever, and doesn't duplicate anything apart
from some hopelessly overcrowded and barely usable bus routes.

The Clapham and Battersea situation could be improved by sensibly-
sited interchanges on existing routes, but it can't be a priority for
building more lines pretty much parallel to existing lines.
Old July 15th 09, 09:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"tim....." wrote:
"Graham Harrison" wrote:
[...]

Yes, I can see that some of the South Eastern commuters are stuffed as far
as direct services to the City are concerned. HOWEVER, Tim was talking about
people arriving on the Southern platforms at *Clapham Junction* (he called
it the Victoria "side"). South Eastern don't serve CLJ at all. I think all
the stations between East Croydon and Clapham Junction get some kind of
direct service to London Bridge, although one may well be better off
changing to the Northern line at Balham. An extended Charing X branch
Northern Line service to Clapham Junction is of very little use to SN pax
wanting access to the City.

--
DAS

Old July 15th 09, 09:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

"tim....." wrote:
"Graham Harrison" wrote:
[...]

My reply got put in completely the wrong place in Google; don't know
what happened for proper newsreaders.

Anyway, to expand on what I was saying, I don't think that there are
any southeastern origins which lack services to London Bridge without
offering peak services to Elephant (for the City branch and Bakerloo)
and now also to Farringdon and St Pancras.

Old July 15th 09, 10:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"tim....." wrote:

"Graham Harrison" wrote:
[...]

Yes, I'd realised my mistake shortly after posting and was hoping to
get a correction in before you came back to me on it, but alas I was
out of the door perambulating on the street some distance from my
keyboard when the realisation struck!

As you rightly point out, what happens on the south eastern lines into
London Bridge is totally and utterly irrelevant in relation to any
considerations about the Northern line reaching Clapham Junction.

Interchange with the Charing Cross branch of the Northern line at
Clapham Junction might be of some use to some south central (i.e.
Southern) pax wanting to get to the West End. Maybe. Bit of a round
the houses route though.
Old July 16th 09, 05:29 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"John B" wrote in message
An acquaintance has just been briefed on progress on the Battersea
Power Stations Northern Line extension: http://bit.ly/riSsr

Semi-off-the-record-ly, he's been told that the feasibility studies
are done, that TfL, LU, the GLA, LB Wandsworth and LB Lambeth are all
in favour of the project, that (entirely private) finance is almost
complete, that a provisional route from Kennington to Battersea via
Nine Elms has been earmarked, and that RFPs for project managers,
engineers and lead contractors will go out shortly.

Meanwhile LU will look at funding options to extend the work to
Clapham Junction at public expense.

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

The more I read this discussion the more I find myself asking if this is the
correct solution to "the problem". Mind you, what is "the problem"? For
the sake of argument we'll say a significant new traffic generator on the
site of Battersea Power Station. Looking at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelsea-Hackney_line would the private money be
better spent as seed money for a completely new route?

Tube to Battersea MIG London Transport 0 July 15th 09 08:33 PM
£26m deal for Battersea Park station TravelBot London Transport News 0 March 12th 06 07:40 PM
Battersea Park Tonight Chris! London Transport 1 November 5th 05 04:57 PM
Bus diversion due to closure of Battersea Bridge [email protected] London Transport 41 September 28th 05 02:16 PM
Battersea Power Station dan London Transport 8 October 13th 03 11:22 PM