Old January 1st 07, 12:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Brick Lane

On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 09:39:10 -0600, "Tristán White"
wrote:

(NB West Ham's ground is really called the Boleyn,

Yeah, and Arsenal's old ground was really called "Arsenal Stadium".
Old January 1st 07, 01:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 31 Dec 2006, John Rowland wrote:

James Farrar wrote:
On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 12:40:38 +0000, Tom Anderson
wrote:

On Sat, 30 Dec 2006, John Rowland wrote:

Mizter T wrote:
John Rowland wrote:

Aldgate East station is in Whitechapel High Street. It should
probably be called Whitechapel, and Whitechapel should be called
something else!

Aldgate East is in the vicinity of Aldgate, so I don't really buy
that argument.

No, it's in the vicinity of Whitechapel, as evidenced by the fact
that it's on Whitechapel High Street.

Don't people now refer to the area around Whitechapel tube as
Whitechapel, though?

Yup, IME.

"Directions and site maps are available for The Royal London Hospital
in Whitechapel".

I don't think anyone is disputing that Whitechapel Station and the RL
Hospital are in Whitechapel. But Aldgate East is (as I may have already
mentioned) in Whitechapel High Street, and if you're going to have a station
called Whitechapel, Aldgate East should be the one.

Only if Whitechapel High Street is the centre of Whitechapel. Clearly, it
once was - is it now?

Actually, rename Whitechapel to Whitechapel Hospital, and rename the
hospital to that as well.

I submit that renaming the station to Whitechapel Road might be simpler.

Then after 10 years or so you could rename Aldgate East to Whitechapel,
or Whitechapel High Street.

I'd suggest Whitechapel High Street, to reduce the change that people will
confuse it with the old Whitechapel. Better yet - how about Commercial
Street?

tom

--
Like Kurosawa i make mad films; okay, i don't make films, but if i did
they'd have a samurai.
Old January 1st 07, 01:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Tom Anderson wrote:
On Sun, 31 Dec 2006, Dave Arquati wrote:

Ooh, one of my pet peeves: some stations have numbered exits, and some
don't. If they were all numbered, you could always just arrange to
meet at exit 1, and it would be unambiguous.

Interesting. I think you should send that to LU complaints department.

Old January 1st 07, 02:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 1 Jan 2007, John Rowland wrote:

Tom Anderson wrote:

On Sun, 31 Dec 2006, Dave Arquati wrote:

Ooh, one of my pet peeves: some stations have numbered exits, and some
don't. If they were all numbered, you could always just arrange to
meet at exit 1, and it would be unambiguous.

Interesting. I think you should send that to LU complaints department.

Might do. More of a suggestion than a complaint, though!

tom

--
Civis Britannicus sum.
Old January 1st 07, 06:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , twic@urchin
earth.li (Tom Anderson) wrote:

On Sun, 31 Dec 2006, Colin Rosenstiel wrote:

I think Paddington has three LU stations.

Okay, i don't get this one. The H&C is a separate station from the
rest, i'd agree, but surely the Bakerloo and Circle platforms are
part of one station? Or do you mean something else?

I thought they had separate station buildings.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old January 1st 07, 06:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Tom Anderson wrote:

On Sun, 31 Dec 2006, Dave Arquati wrote:

Ooh, one of my pet peeves: some stations have numbered exits, and some
don't. If they were all numbered, you could always just arrange to
meet at exit 1, and it would be unambiguous.

Interesting. I think you should send that to LU complaints department.

Might do. More of a suggestion than a complaint, though!

I would say do it anyway!

--
Dave Arquati
Old January 2nd 07, 11:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:

wrote:

(NB West Ham's ground is really called the Boleyn,

Yeah, and Arsenal's old ground was really called "Arsenal Stadium".

And the new one is really called Ashburton Grove.

And some of us Gooners call it just that.

Brick tower at Crouch Hill Station Basil Jet[_4_] London Transport 1 January 5th 17 03:36 PM
Old bridge over Brick Lane Martin J London Transport 3 April 25th 05 02:13 PM
Caught driving on a bus lane by camera - what to do? Volker Finke London Transport 46 October 11th 03 02:03 PM
Kew Bridge Bus Lane Suspended Robin Cox London Transport 6 September 30th 03 09:32 AM
Chancery Lane Matthew Malthouse London Transport 12 July 19th 03 05:02 PM