Old January 2nd 07, 12:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Brick Lane

In article 5, Tristán
White writes
What do you think of the petition by Brick Lane residents and shop and
restaurant owners to get Aldgate East renamed "Brick Lane" to boost the
area. Having lost Shoreditch station, they're getting a bit of a rum deal
at the moment.

Do they have much of a hope?

Didn't residents of West Hampstead once petition to have Kilburn station
renamed 'Mapesbury'? I don't see why Brick Lane residents would have
better luck.
--
congokid
Eating out in London? Read my tips...

Old January 2nd 07, 01:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:

In article .com,
(Mizter T) wrote:

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:

In article , james.s
(James Farrar) wrote:

On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 09:39:10 -0600, "Tristán White"
wrote:

Yeah, and Arsenal's old ground was really called "Arsenal
Stadium".

And the new one is really called Ashburton Grove.

And some of us Gooners call it just that.

Indeed. My daughter told me.

One of the club fanzines, the "Gooner", of course calls the stadium
Ashburton Grove, and also amusingly refers to the stadium's sponsored
moniker by way of "the E word", as if it were a vulgar oath. Which in a
way it is.

(One could argue it's possibly a little less offensively in-your-face
than Bolton's 'Reebok stadium'. Though as I'm not an apologist for all
this mallarkey it won't be me taking that argument any further!).

The actual Ashburton Grove was a road that has now more or less
vanished under the development. I say was as whilst one can still walk
the course of the road, it's not a road anymore but a wide pedestrian
thoroughfare next to the western side of the stadium, at a higher level
than the former road. I'm almost certain there's no longer any signage
of the road's name and I guess it's no longer classified as a highway
anymore either.

The old street layout can still be seen on the streetmap.co.uk mapping:
http://tinyurl.com/yg2u7s

Old January 2nd 07, 02:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

James Farrar wrote:

On 2 Jan 2007 06:38:31 -0800, "Mizter T" wrote:

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:

In article .com,
(Mizter T) wrote:

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:

wrote:

Yeah, and Arsenal's old ground was really called "Arsenal
Stadium".

And the new one is really called Ashburton Grove.

And some of us Gooners call it just that.

Indeed. My daughter told me.

One of the club fanzines, the "Gooner", of course calls the stadium
Ashburton Grove, and also amusingly refers to the stadium's sponsored
moniker by way of "the E word", as if it were a vulgar oath. Which in a
way it is.

(One could argue it's possibly a little less offensively in-your-face
than Bolton's 'Reebok stadium'. Though as I'm not an apologist for all
this mallarkey it won't be me taking that argument any further!).

The difference is, IIRC, the Reebok was always going to be called
that. Ashburton Grove was developed under that name until the Sheikh
came along waving a chequebook.

As I said, I don't want to be an apologist for it, but I do have some
understanding of why the Arsenal board went for it. The whole new
stadium was a very expensive endeavour, in part because of a great
number of tricky planning issues that were far more complex than at
first envisaged.

Obviously there's lots of money floating around at Arsenal, but
nonetheless I've read much that says the club had quite a tricky
balancing act to perform in financing the new stadium whilst still
running a Premiership club. The stadium naming rights thus provided
some financial relief.

I am glad the new stadium is still in still in the same neighbourhood.
It's become increasingly clear that in the 90's the club gave very
serious consideration to building a new ground off the M25 near St.
Albans during the 90's - thankfully that didn't happen. I'm also glad
that the club managed to avoid a Leeds United style financial
catastrophe when it came to paying for the new stadium. Nonetheless I
still don't welcome Arsenal's part in helping to create a precedent
that new stadiums will receive sponsored names, but I suspect that's
now the way things are going.

I'm not quite sure why everyone doesn't just call it Ashburton Grove
though? Perhaps the broadcasters, during their match coverage at least,
are compelled to call each ground by their official names, but I don't
see why the papers do so, nor why anyone else should.

Old January 2nd 07, 06:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote:

I am glad the new stadium is still in still in the same neighbourhood.
It's become increasingly clear that in the 90's the club gave very
serious consideration to building a new ground off the M25 near St.
Albans during the 90's - thankfully that didn't happen. I'm also glad
that the club managed to avoid a Leeds United style financial
catastrophe when it came to paying for the new stadium. Nonetheless I
still don't welcome Arsenal's part in helping to create a precedent
that new stadiums will receive sponsored names, but I suspect that's
now the way things are going.

I'm not quite sure why everyone doesn't just call it Ashburton Grove
though? Perhaps the broadcasters, during their match coverage at
least, are compelled to call each ground by their official names, but
I don't see why the papers do so, nor why anyone else should.

Why do you have such a grudge against the people who part paid for the new
stadium?

Old January 2nd 07, 09:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 1 Jan 2007, Colin Rosenstiel wrote:

In article , twic@urchin
earth.li (Tom Anderson) wrote:

On Sun, 31 Dec 2006, Colin Rosenstiel wrote:

I think Paddington has three LU stations.

Okay, i don't get this one. The H&C is a separate station from the
rest, i'd agree, but surely the Bakerloo and Circle platforms are
part of one station? Or do you mean something else?

I thought they had separate station buildings.

Perhaps, but there's certainly a tunnel between them!

tom

--
Hit to death in the future head
Old January 2nd 07, 09:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 2 Jan 2007, Colin Rosenstiel wrote:

In article , james.s
(James Farrar) wrote:

On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 09:39:10 -0600, "Tristán White"
wrote:

(NB West Ham's ground is really called the Boleyn,

Yeah, and Arsenal's old ground was really called "Arsenal Stadium".

And the new one is really called Ashburton Grove.

Quite fitting, given what was there before.

tom

--
Hit to death in the future head

Brick tower at Crouch Hill Station Basil Jet[_4_] London Transport 1 January 5th 17 03:36 PM
Old bridge over Brick Lane Martin J London Transport 3 April 25th 05 02:13 PM
Caught driving on a bus lane by camera - what to do? Volker Finke London Transport 46 October 11th 03 02:03 PM
Kew Bridge Bus Lane Suspended Robin Cox London Transport 6 September 30th 03 09:32 AM
Chancery Lane Matthew Malthouse London Transport 12 July 19th 03 05:02 PM