Old December 25th 09, 11:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Edgware Road: The interchange from hell

On Thu, 24 Dec 2009 02:07:19 -0800 (PST), John B
wrote:

But the vast majority of SSL peak passengers are trying to get to the
City, either from west-of-Earl's-Court or east-of-Whitechapel on the
District, from northwest-of-Baker-Street on the Met, or from west-of-
Paddington on the H&C(&C). The Circle is an irrelevance to them: Met/
H&C passengers can easily walk to all City destinations from the Met
route, and District passengers to all City destinations from the
District route.

You forget the large number of people arriving at Euston and Kings
Cross, quite a few of whom want to go to Tower Hill etc.

Some of this could be solved by telling people that Aldgate to Tower
Hill is less than 10 minutes' walk, though, as I don't think everyone
from outside London realises that - even, IMX, people who do the
journey every day.

Neil

--
Neil Williams

Old December 25th 09, 11:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 24 Dec 2009 15:53:25 -0800 (PST), MIG
wrote:

I've missed a late train from Charing Cross when it was announced
seconds before stopping that just one set of doors in the (Northern)
carriage wouldn't open, and some people with suitcases, whom I was
stuck behind, couldn't get through the crowd to the open door.
Walking back from Embankment was just too late.

I've had that issue, though I did make it off. But that was because I
hadn't paid attention to whether I was in the last coach.

But relating to that, why are the last set of doors switched out at
Bank? They are on the platform (albeit only just). Or is it a flow
thing?

Neil

--
Neil Williams
Old December 26th 09, 10:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 10:19:01 +0000, Paul Corfield
wrote:

But it doesn't matter because everyone can walk everywhere. Train
services and tube stations no longer need to be where people want to go
to. They can be 10-15 mins away and everyone just walks. Yeah, right.

But given the current service (a lack of Circle Line services,
specifically) you get a far more comfortable and frequent journey if
you use the Met to Aldgate instead of the Circle beyond.

Neil

--
Neil Williams
Old December 26th 09, 09:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

wrote:
I've missed a late train from Charing Cross when it was announced
seconds before stopping that just one set of doors in the (Northern)
carriage wouldn't open, and some people with suitcases, whom I was
stuck behind, couldn't get through the crowd to the open door.
Walking back from Embankment was just too late.

I've had that issue, though I did make it off. *But that was because I
hadn't paid attention to whether I was in the last coach.

But relating to that, why are the last set of doors switched out at
Bank? *They are on the platform (albeit only just). *Or is it a flow
thing?

Neil

Do you mean Moorgate? I'm not aware of it at Bank*. It also happens
at Euston. I don't really understand it either. It would be better
if the driver had the discretion if he/she knew he/she had missed the
stop marker by enough. The doors don't normally seem to be in the
tunnel at any of these places.

*Although some peculiar behaviours have started at the north end with
platform staff trying to direct the flow.
Old December 26th 09, 10:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 14:25:15 -0800 (PST), MIG
wrote:

Do you mean Moorgate? I'm not aware of it at Bank*.

Ah, maybe I'm getting confused. It must have been Euston going
towards Bank rather than the other way round. But it seemed silly, as
there was clearly enough room for the doors to be opened.

Are they perhaps out of view of the DOO cameras? Or is dispatch from
Euston purely manual?

*Although some peculiar behaviours have started at the north end with
platform staff trying to direct the flow.

That just gets peoples' backs up - they should give up on it.

Neil

--
Neil Williams

Old December 27th 09, 08:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london
fvw fvw is offline

On 25 Dec, 20:54, "Tim Roll-Pickering"
wrote:
Tom Anderson wrote:
Because this is the result of idiot westerners somehow thinking that Essex
means Romford, or Basildon if i'm lucky, and tarring me with their idiot
brush.

I hate to break it to you, but Basildon is still in Essex.

And Romford is a place unto itself.

London stops, and Essex, starts at the end of the Shenfield metro.
Old December 27th 09, 09:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
, at
01:38:17 on Sun, 27 Dec 2009, fvw remarked:

London stops, and Essex, starts at the end of the Shenfield metro.

Having once lived in Brentwood [1] for many years, it's fascinating the
way Londoners regard it as "the first town outside London", whereas
Essex people regard it as "the first suburb inside London".

[1] And Shenfield is just the posh bit of Brentwood.
Old December 27th 09, 04:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote:

Some of this could be solved by telling people that Aldgate to Tower
Hill is less than 10 minutes' walk, though, as I don't think everyone
from outside London realises that - even, IMX, people who do the
journey every day.

But it doesn't matter because everyone can walk everywhere. Train
services and tube stations no longer need to be where people want to go
to. They can be 10-15 mins away and everyone just walks. Yeah, right.

So that's why the streets and stations around Covent Garden are awash with
signs encouraging passengers to go on foot...

Old December 27th 09, 06:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 10:19:01 on
Sat, 26 Dec 2009, Paul Corfield remarked:
You forget the large number of people arriving at Euston and Kings
Cross, quite a few of whom want to go to Tower Hill etc.

Some of this could be solved by telling people that Aldgate to Tower
Hill is less than 10 minutes' walk, though, as I don't think everyone
from outside London realises that - even, IMX, people who do the
journey every day.

But it doesn't matter because everyone can walk everywhere. Train
services and tube stations no longer need to be where people want to go
to. They can be 10-15 mins away and everyone just walks. Yeah, right.

Tube stations in London are already about twice as far apart as Metro
stations in Paris. Meanwhile, I would almost never catch a London
underground train just one stop[1] and think twice about catching one
for two stops.

[1] Except perhaps KX-Farringdon, and even then I'd probably use
Thameslink.
Old December 27th 09, 09:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Dec 27, 7:23*pm, Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

Baker St - Finchley Road? Chalfont-Chesham?

But yes, I agree re Zone 1.

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org