Old January 7th 10, 07:51 PM posted to cam.misc,uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

Default OT Chicago musical (was Snow disruption Cambridge/London(from the OP))

On Thu, 07 Jan 2010 16:49:35 -0000, Ian F.
wrote:

"Brian Watson" wrote in message

Incidentally, Chicago (the musical) was dull, VERY dull, with some soap
star bloke trying to sing the male lead without much success or
conviction, and Ruthie Henshall and the rest of the cast looking like
they'd all rather be somewhere else so they could enjoy themselves a
bit.

That's a shame. Chicago is a wonderful piece - vital, energetic,
exciting and, when performed well, breathtaking. The original London
cast - Ute Lemper, Ruthie H, Henry Goodman and Nigel Planer - were
superb. Shame about Ian Kelsey being bad - he's done a couple of
musicals so I would have expected him to be OK.

Still, get the original London cast album - it's brilliant.

Ian

Thereagain I spent last night watching Nine. The original London cast
members comments are best not repeated in a public forum.
--
Duncan Wood

Old January 7th 10, 09:39 PM posted to cam.misc,uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

"Duncan Wood" wrote in message
newsp.u56j8wa1rpivgb@rachel...

Thereagain I spent last night watching Nine. The original London cast
members comments are best not repeated in a public forum.

Heh! Mr. Pryce or Ms. Paige? ;-)

Ian

Old January 7th 10, 09:47 PM posted to cam.misc,uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

On Thu, 07 Jan 2010 22:39:12 -0000, Ian F.
wrote:

"Duncan Wood" wrote in message
newsp.u56j8wa1rpivgb@rachel...

Thereagain I spent last night watching Nine. The original London cast
members comments are best not repeated in a public forum.

Heh! Mr. Pryce or Ms. Paige? ;-)

Ian

That was a complaint, not a name drop. & far more Glaswegian:-) Come to
think of it I thought Ms Paige only did the recording.
Old January 7th 10, 10:25 PM posted to cam.misc,uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

"Duncan Wood" wrote in message
newsp.u56pk20ihaghkf@lucy...

That was a complaint, not a name drop. & far more Glaswegian:-)

LOL.

Come to think of it I thought Ms Paige only did the recording.

Quite feasible - I didn't actually see it, but remember hearing the music.
Come to think of it, Pryce may just have been for the concert album as well.
*googles* Not much about the London stage production in 1996, plenty about
the album. *shrug* Ah well - as Diane Keaton would say, "La-di-dah".

God, I'm getting camper by the minute! Get thee behind me, musicals! ;-)

Ian

Old January 7th 10, 10:34 PM posted to cam.misc,uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

On Thu, 07 Jan 2010 23:25:05 -0000, Ian F.
wrote:

"Duncan Wood" wrote in message
newsp.u56pk20ihaghkf@lucy...

That was a complaint, not a name drop. & far more Glaswegian:-)

LOL.

Come to think of it I thought Ms Paige only did the recording.

Quite feasible - I didn't actually see it, but remember hearing the
music. Come to think of it, Pryce may just have been for the concert
album as well. *googles* Not much about the London stage production in
1996, plenty about the album. *shrug* Ah well - as Diane Keaton would
say, "La-di-dah".

God, I'm getting camper by the minute! Get thee behind me, musicals! ;-)

Ian

He did the show, but that was 1992, I'm not sure Pryce or Nine are exactly
camp though :-) But I've seen Eurobeat too many times to have a straight
point of view.

Old January 8th 10, 12:00 AM posted to cam.misc,uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

Default Snow disruption Cambridge/London

Theo Markettos wrote:
magwitch wrote:
I looked up my old postcode in West Sussex - believe it or not, they've
had a 24 hr accumulation of 38 cms! Wow!

Yup, I'm in Liphook. We've had about 30cm - it varies a bit as it was
blowing while it snowed. This is on the parapet of a railway bridge, and is
about average:
http://www.markettos.org.uk/ephemeral/img_2251.jpg

We used to live up the hill along from Lynchmere on Marley Common (trust
me, winter '62/63 was something else up there). If you have a Landy
check it out for me this w/e and take more pics... it must look magical atm.

It snowed pretty much straight for 24 hours. It's stopped now, but there
seemed to be little melting.

OMG I'm so jealous!!!

The only cars moving I saw were two landrovers and a JCB cleaning the lane.
But there are some seriously large snowmen around

Are you sure they aren't real people who've been deep frozen? ;-)
Old January 8th 10, 07:22 AM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

"Brian Watson" wrote in message
My daughter and I have tickets for a theatre show in London this evening
(Wednesday) and want to travel up 'n back by train.

At the moment, the theatre's website is saying "the show will go on, but
watch this website for updates"

Is London enduring a snowy apocalypse or are we in with a reasonable
chance of making the journey ok by rail?

My plan B: is to go all the way by car if the M11 is clear.

--
Brian
www.imagebus.co.uk/shop

Having had a few inches of snow a few days ago, the Bromley North branch
appears to have been shut down for the duration. I cannot recall this
happening before even when we had "real" snow. These modern train operators,
or their trains, are really feeble!

MaxB

Old January 8th 10, 08:37 AM posted to cam.misc,uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

Ian F. wrote:
"Brian Watson" wrote in message

Incidentally, Chicago (the musical) was dull, VERY dull, with some
soap star bloke trying to sing the male lead without much success or
conviction, and Ruthie Henshall and the rest of the cast looking like
they'd all rather be somewhere else so they could enjoy themselves a
bit.

That's a shame. Chicago is a wonderful piece - vital, energetic,
exciting and, when performed well, breathtaking. The original London
cast - Ute Lemper, Ruthie H, Henry Goodman and Nigel Planer - were
superb. Shame about Ian Kelsey being bad - he's done a couple of
musicals so I would have expected him to be OK.

Still, get the original London cast album - it's brilliant.

My daughter saw the Ute Lemper/Ruthie Henshall cast and said how much this
latest version had gone off the boil from that one.

Ian Kelsey wasn't off the notes - but he and the rest just seemed so
lacklustre.

Theatrically, the whole show needs a kick up the bum to make it sparkle
again.

--
Brian
www.imagebus.co.uk/shop

Old January 8th 10, 01:38 PM posted to cam.misc,uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

"Brian Watson" wrote in message

Theatrically, the whole show needs a kick up the bum to make it sparkle
again.

When I was in New York a few years ago I saw a ghastly, drab production of
Cabaret at Studio 54, directed by Sam Mendes. When I got back to London I
e-mailed his office to say how dreadful it was, and wondering when he had
last seen it as it was not doing his name any good.

His PA e-mailed straight back to say that she had told him about my note and
he told her to book him a flight at once! Not sure what happened after that,
but I think it went on to become one of the longest-running revivals on
Broadway!

Ian

Old January 8th 10, 04:57 PM posted to cam.misc,uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

Ian F. wrote:
"Brian Watson" wrote in message

Theatrically, the whole show needs a kick up the bum to make it
sparkle again.

When I was in New York a few years ago I saw a ghastly, drab
production of Cabaret at Studio 54, directed by Sam Mendes. When I
got back to London I e-mailed his office to say how dreadful it was,
and wondering when he had last seen it as it was not doing his name
any good.
His PA e-mailed straight back to say that she had told him about my
note and he told her to book him a flight at once! Not sure what
happened after that, but I think it went on to become one of the
longest-running revivals on Broadway!

Good point. I'll ask my daughter for some names who might care that their
names were being associated with such a dull presentation.

--
Brian
www.imagebus.co.uk/shop

Where get up to the hour snow fall reports? manser London Transport 12 December 18th 09 06:33 PM
All TfL buses suspended due to snow Matthew Dickinson London Transport 77 February 4th 09 08:06 PM
A Little Bit of Snow and No Service Matthew P Jones London Transport 1 January 28th 04 07:04 PM
Snow and Ice Anon London Transport 0 January 28th 04 01:59 PM
Snow-machines proposed to cool Tube Fustanella London Transport 1 August 20th 03 07:01 PM