Old July 14th 11, 06:43 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Thank you London Underground

On Thu, 14 Jul 2011 19:40:04 +0100, Arthur Figgis
wrote:
A while back I was on that old EMU which used to come out to play

on the
Great Eastern, and the staff were struggling to convince passengers

it
was a real service and they wouldn't have to pay extra for it.

I saw someone miss a Marple train formed of 101 685 at Manc Picc ages
ago as they thought (only exclaiming this after departure) it was
"their museum piece".

And weren't DB using a Rheingold set recently?

Neil

--
Neil Williams, Milton Keynes, UK

Old July 14th 11, 08:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote:

(Both times I'd already hit my cap but in other circumstances I'd have
wound up paying twice needlessly.)

When a bus is terminated short then passengers should be able to get a
transfer ticket from the driver in order to continue their journey on
another bus - however these often don't seem to be proffered by the driver
without prompting. (On a recent occasion when the bus was terminated short
a controller at the bus stop shepherded all the pax on the bus going
nowhere across to another bus that had just arrived at the stop, having
conversed with the driver.)

Any idea what was going on in the first example you give?

No - the driver just announced the bus was being taken out of service and
opened the middle & rear doors (it was a bendy). It would not have been easy
to reach the driver because of the flow and the front doors not being open.
But I doubt everyone could have fitted onto a single other bus arriving at
the stop so the driver conversing with other drivers would not have made
much difference either.

Old July 15th 11, 12:09 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Thu, 14 Jul 2011 20:43:52 +0200 [UTC], Neil Williams wrote:

[...]
And weren't DB using a Rheingold set recently?

Yes indeedy, but I never managed to get over for a ride. :-(

Köln - Hamburg, I think it was, northbound Thurs (or Fri. not sure),
back Sun. Bog standard IC train but the Rheingold stock dragged by
103.245.

A Real Train, none of this white worm junk. ;-)
--
Ross

Speaking for me, myself and I. Nobody else
- unless I make it clear that I am...
Old July 15th 11, 01:01 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message
,
W14_Fishbourne writes
However, I am a bit mystified why the door interlocking doesn't (a)
just prevent power being taken when a door is open rather than, as the
implication is here, (b) allowing power to be taken then cutting it
off if a door is open. Presumably interlocking of type (b) also covers
the event of a train door coming open while the train is moving,
giving two levels of protection for the price of one.

In my time on both the Northern and Central lines trains were frequently
moved around depots with the doors wide open, if only to get some fresh
air through them.
--
Clive

Old July 15th 11, 01:30 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Fri, 15 Jul 2011 02:01:40 +0100, Clive
wrote:

In message
,
W14_Fishbourne writes
However, I am a bit mystified why the door interlocking doesn't (a)
just prevent power being taken when a door is open rather than, as the
implication is here, (b) allowing power to be taken then cutting it
off if a door is open. Presumably interlocking of type (b) also covers
the event of a train door coming open while the train is moving,
giving two levels of protection for the price of one.

In my time on both the Northern and Central lines trains were frequently
moved around depots with the doors wide open, if only to get some fresh
air through them.

In pre-OPO times it was not uncommon for trains to leave the carriage
shed at Queens Park with the doors open during the Summer.
Old July 15th 11, 10:01 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 14/07/2011 13:26, W14_Fishbourne wrote:
On Jul 14, 1:09 pm, "Mizter wrote:

I remember reading an anecdote on here years ago (god knows whether
it was true) that once when an LU engineering train stopped at a
still open station a few of the passengers tried to get onto the
wagons. No doubt just happy to get a seat.

Presumably thought they'd missed the last train, and just happy to take
any escape route.

I recall a story of an angry bloke trying to get himself and his family into
the cab of a freight train (or light?) locomotive at I think Wandsworth Rd
station, which seems bizarre enough to be true.

Some people are clearly far too stupid to be allowed to travel.

He probably insisted that the freight carry HIM and HIS family.
Old July 15th 11, 10:06 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote in message
On 14/07/2011 00:15, Spyke wrote:

Indeed, this happens on a regular basis on the 38TS tours, especially at
central London stations (with tourists who may believe that LU still run
75 year old stock on a daily basis).

Happens in Buenos Aires.

In a couple of years, on present plans, 75 year old LU stock will be used on
a daily basis - on Island Line.

Peter