Old July 14th 11, 12:09 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Thank you London Underground

"Recliner" wrote:

wrote:

I remember reading an anecdote on here years ago (god knows whether
it was true) that once when an LU engineering train stopped at a
still open station a few of the passengers tried to get onto the
wagons. No doubt just happy to get a seat.

Presumably thought they'd missed the last train, and just happy to take
any escape route.

I recall a story of an angry bloke trying to get himself and his family into
the cab of a freight train (or light?) locomotive at I think Wandsworth Rd
station, which seems bizarre enough to be true.

Old July 14th 11, 12:26 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Jul 14, 1:09*pm, "Mizter T" wrote:
"Recliner" wrote:
wrote:

I remember reading an anecdote on here years ago (god knows whether
it was true) that once when an LU engineering train stopped at a
still open station a few of the passengers tried to get onto the
wagons. No doubt just happy to get a seat.

Presumably thought they'd missed the last train, and just happy to take
any escape route.

I recall a story of an angry bloke trying to get himself and his family into
the cab of a freight train (or light?) locomotive at I think Wandsworth Rd
station, which seems bizarre enough to be true.

Some people are clearly far too stupid to be allowed to travel.
Old July 14th 11, 12:53 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote:

"Recliner" wrote:

wrote:

I remember reading an anecdote on here years ago (god knows whether
it was true) that once when an LU engineering train stopped at a
still open station a few of the passengers tried to get onto the
wagons. No doubt just happy to get a seat.

Presumably thought they'd missed the last train, and just happy to take
any escape route.

I recall a story of an angry bloke trying to get himself and his family
into the cab of a freight train (or light?) locomotive at I think
Wandsworth Rd station, which seems bizarre enough to be true.

I remember a driver who (back in the days before cab passes) gave a lift to
a stranded bloke after sizing him up, on his Empty-to-depot that just
happened to be passing through the blokes destination station.

--
Tim Watts
Old July 14th 11, 12:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"David Cantrell" wrote:

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 06:12:42PM +0100, Mizter T wrote:

Refunds can be picked up when travelling from or to any station in London
(including NR stations)

Oh, that's new since the last time I asked about it. Good.

It's been the case ever since Oyster PAYG went live across NR in London in
January 2010 - so maybe you asked before then?

it's not just TfL stations - though I think some
people have suggested there might be a few stations missing from the
list?
One needs to be making a journey from or to that station, the refund
can't
just be picked up from a ticket machine.

Sucks for people who rarely travel by train, like those who mostly use
buses.

Yes, though I'd suggest such people are less likely to encounter Oyster
charging issues that lead on to refunds being given.

Old July 14th 11, 02:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote:

Sucks for people who rarely travel by train, like those who mostly use
buses.

Yes, though I'd suggest such people are less likely to encounter Oyster
charging issues that lead on to refunds being given.

How easy is it to claim back when buses are taken out of service? I've had
this a couple of times, once with the bus not moving at all from where I
boarded, the other where it terminated short and everyone was told to get on
a following one - but the subsequent bus driver insisted we had to touch in.

(Both times I'd already hit my cap but in other circumstances I'd have wound
up paying twice needlessly.)

Old July 14th 11, 03:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Tim Roll-Pickering" wrote:

Mizter T wrote:

Sucks for people who rarely travel by train, like those who mostly use
buses.

Yes, though I'd suggest such people are less likely to encounter Oyster
charging issues that lead on to refunds being given.

How easy is it to claim back when buses are taken out of service? I've had
this a couple of times, once with the bus not moving at all from where I
boarded, the other where it terminated short and everyone was told to get
on a following one - but the subsequent bus driver insisted we had to
touch in.

(Both times I'd already hit my cap but in other circumstances I'd have
wound up paying twice needlessly.)

When a bus is terminated short then passengers should be able to get a
transfer ticket from the driver in order to continue their journey on
another bus - however these often don't seem to be proffered by the driver
without prompting. (On a recent occasion when the bus was terminated short a
controller at the bus stop shepherded all the pax on the bus going nowhere
across to another bus that had just arrived at the stop, having conversed
with the driver.)

Any idea what was going on in the first example you give?

Old July 14th 11, 03:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Tim Roll-Pickering" wrote in message

How easy is it to claim back when buses are taken out of service? I've had
this a couple of times, once with the bus not moving at all from where I
boarded, the other where it terminated short and everyone was told to get
on a following one - but the subsequent bus driver insisted we had to
touch in.

That's because the driver of the bus you get turfed off is supposed to give
you a transfer ticket isn't it?

If he doesn't bother, or someone doesn't stick around for one, what's the
solution then?

Paul S

Old July 14th 11, 05:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article
,
(solar penguin) wrote:

wrote:

In article ,
(Mizter T)
wrote:

The Oyster maximum journey time limits are fairly generous - I
wouldn't generally expect a 'normal' delay on the Tube (of say 20
mins or whatever) to bust them.

Not that generous if you remember the discussion about a journey from
King Cross to Putney via Highbury & Islington, Willesden Junction and
Clapham Junction. :-)

Why on earth would they want to go that way? Victoria Line to Oxford
Circus, Bakerloo to Waterloo, then SWT would be a lot quicker.

It was pleasant to experience the new ELL, NLL and WLL trains and
services. I couldn't have taken your suggested route anyway as I had a
bike with me. I suspect you missed a thread on this a week or two ago.

By the way, your route isn't the right direct one either. Try Victoria
Line to Vauxhall and SWT from there to Putney.

(Yes, I know, Putney isn't the sort of place that anyone would hurry
to get to, and I can't blame them for wanting to delay reaching
there. But even Putney's got to be more pleasant than travelling on
the North London Line!)

Watch it you! I was brought up in Putney! :-)

Though I suppose you must have a point because I was glad to stop living
there over 40 years ago.

However, my mother still lives there and every good boy visits his mother
when he can as I'm sure you know. As she was out at an appointment until
lunchtime I was indeed in no hurry to get to my parental home before she
did.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old July 14th 11, 06:40 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 14/07/2011 10:43, John C wrote:

"Spyke" wrote in message
On 13/07/2011 22:58, wrote:

I'm not quite sure about that, to be honest. I once saw a YouTube video
of an excursion train, I think a 38 stock. The train had come into
Camden Town and was holding at the platform for the starter signal,
obviously with its doors shut.

IIRC, people on the platform were confused about why the train wasn't
opening it doors, oblivious to the fact that the rolling stock was
completely out of the ordinary. The train itself was probably shorter
than usual.

Indeed, this happens on a regular basis on the 38TS tours, especially
at central London stations (with tourists who may believe that LU
still run 75 year old stock on a daily basis).

Incidentally, it's also quite common for the 38 stock to be moving
along with one of the doors open.

Some people are more picky than others. There was a time when the 1845
Cambridge
to King's Cross frequently turned out a 317 vice 365. It was viewed with
suspicion by the
locals who were used to a 365. The same unit then did the 2007 to
Peterborough. The
commuters didn't bat an eyelid and piled on.

Another anecdote, when the EPB farewell tour was at Redhill platform 2
the locals assumed
it was going to Victoria. In fact when the same tour stopped at London
Bridge en route to
Charing Cross several passengers did get on.

A while back I was on that old EMU which used to come out to play on the
Great Eastern, and the staff were struggling to convince passengers it
was a real service and they wouldn't have to pay extra for it.

I did a nostalgia train in Hungary which appeared to be a normal-ish
service, albeit with a steam/gullibility supplement for foreigners.

At least people have mostly stopped stepping back at the last minute
saying "I need the Thameslink, but this says FCC on the side".
--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK