Old September 13th 11, 05:28 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Default Heathrow to western GWML link under consideration

On 13/09/2011 13:50, Neil Williams wrote:
On Sep 13, 11:46 am, wrote:

Arachnophobics are not merely opposed to spiders.

You will note that I said that "homophobia", unlike "arachnophobia",
is not a strictly correct Latin translation,

It's all Greek to me.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

Old September 13th 11, 05:33 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On 13/09/2011 10:39, 1506 wrote:
On Sep 13, 2:05 am, wrote:
On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 01:57:32 -0700 (PDT)

wrote:
What "homophobic diatribe"? A phobia is a fear. I would be very
surprised if Boltar is afraid of homosexuals.

I have nothing against them but these days if you dare critisise any aspect
of anyones lifestyle of culture you're immediately labelled as a "hater" or
whatever the trendy left wing terminology is this week. Especially online
where people seem to make it their mission to be offended by just about
anything.

Indeed: criticize one of the left's favorite groups, muslims,
homosexuals, et al, and you are phobic, a hate speaker, etc.

OTOH, criticize an "out" group, e.g. Conservatives, smokers,
entrepreneurs, etc., and left wing tolerance mysteriously disappears.

I blame Israel.

settles down with some popcorn
--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old September 13th 11, 05:40 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On 13/09/11 13:53, 1506 wrote:
On Sep 13, 5:50 am, Neil wrote:

You will note that I said that "homophobia", unlike "arachnophobia",
is not a strictly correct Latin translation, but was that it was
understood to refer to opposition as well as fear.

Not by me it isn't.

Your lack of understanding is (a) irrelevant and (b) unsurprising.

Ian
Old September 13th 11, 05:44 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:

In message
, at
02:52:04 on Tue, 13 Sep 2011, 1506 remarked:
Exceptionally, and unusually, Roland, I am with Tony on this one. It
takes a while to understand anywhere. A week is barely enough to give
a flavor. At this time I am in the UK. After spending decades in the
US, I still learned something new every week.

We all have different skills. I've moved around a lot, including a spell
living in the USA. I'm very observant and instinctively spot the
socio-economic patterns which form the basis for lifestyle in different
places. I've made numerous trips to places like Paris, Brussels, Geneva
and Amsterdam, and feel that I've gained considerable insight into the
local culture/logistics by the time I've spent seven days mixing with
the locals (I'm not talking about sitting on the beach or other classic
tourist activities).

The more places you visit, the more you can assemble a picture from a
set of building blocks.

Of course it helps greatly if you have already drawn your conclusions
at the outset, and are completely determined not to let any contrary
facts dislodge your preconceived ideas ... which appears to be the way
you operate.

Old September 13th 11, 06:30 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Sep 13, 6:25*pm, 1506 wrote:

On Sep 13, 9:20*am, Neil Williams wrote:

What is the term you would use to mean an opposition to homosexuality,
as opposed to fear of it? *(Though why you would seek to oppose
something that has no effect on you I have no idea).

It was Boltar to whom the term Homophobe was (in my view) incorrectly
applied. My opinion is irrelevant.

You are stating that I am incorrect to use the term "homophobe" for
someone who dislikes homosexuality rather than fearing it. *So I am
asking what term *you* (not Boltar, whose post I didn't read so I
don't know if it was "homophobic" or not) would use to describe that.

The incorrect application of the term "homophobe" came from someone
posting as "nobody" *See
https://groups.google.com/group/uk.r...031fab99?hl=en....

All I have done is question his utilization of the word. *Why does
that compel me to share my prefered vocabulary? *Anti-homosexual might
work. *Do not deduce that I take that position.

Can we refer to other evidence? e.g.:

"It is also time to killfile Mr. Corfield, a sexual deviant in a union
protected public sector job. Paul’s inability to hold together three
logical thoughts, and his tendency to resort to hissy fits when he
cannot win a debate mean his post are not worth reading. And, I do
not want to deal with him."
http://groups.google.com/group/uk.tr...a94a18d8c1094d
Old September 13th 11, 06:44 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Sep 13, 7:30*pm, Mizter T wrote:

On Sep 13, 6:25*pm, 1506 wrote:

The incorrect application of the term "homophobe" came from someone
posting as "nobody" *See
https://groups.google.com/group/uk.r...031fab99?hl=en....

All I have done is question his utilization of the word. *Why does
that compel me to share my prefered vocabulary? *Anti-homosexual might
work. *Do not deduce that I take that position.

Can we refer to other evidence? e.g.:

On reflection I apologise for bringing the name of another long time
poster into this discussion which is entirely unrelated to them, and
one to which they aren't part of - there are times when one should
desist from pressing the send button, and that was one of them.

Anyhow, what's this all got to do with Heathrow or the GWML?
Old September 13th 11, 07:38 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

In message , at 18:44:59 on
Tue, 13 Sep 2011, Bruce remarked:
The more places you visit, the more you can assemble a picture from a
set of building blocks.

Of course it helps greatly if you have already drawn your conclusions
at the outset, and are completely determined not to let any contrary
facts dislodge your preconceived ideas ... which appears to be the way
you operate.

Not at all, I was quite surprised when I got to Australia how much like
the USA it was. My expectation was perhaps more like Eire.
Old September 13th 11, 09:48 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 01:57:32 -0700 (PDT), 1506
wrote:

On Sep 12, 5:42*pm, Nobody wrote:
On Mon, 12 Sep 2011 17:18:29 +0100, Graeme Wall

wrote:
On 12/09/2011 14:42, wrote:
On Mon, 12 Sep 2011 14:23:46 +0100
Graeme *wrote:
Oh come on, its true. If someone really loves their family they don't move
to the other side of the world to live. For them family ties would be a
stronger bond than moving somewhere new for the sake of it.

You are a simple soul aren't you.

My family means a lot more to me than a job and a naff condo in a cultureless
country on the other side of the world.

Cultureless? I'm sure the Maoris would object to that description.

Bloody hell! *Pakeha New Zealanders would disagree as well...

boltar2003 seems to be exercisng invective left over from his
unsated homophobic diatribe a few weeks back.

What "homophobic diatribe"? A phobia is a fear.

Re-writing the dictionary now are you ?

Phobia - "Fear, horror or aversion"

Old September 13th 11, 10:25 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

"1506" wrote in message

Indeed, currently, I am still adjusting to the changes in the UK
during my absence. The first time I tried to use a chip and pin debit
card was embarrassing. It was at Victoria Station and I kept removing
the card too soon.

There have been differences in credit card handling between the US and
Europe for many years, but the nature of the differences has changed. When
I first visited the US I had a struggle to convince some retailers that my
Access card, as it was then still branded, could be accepted as a
Mastercard. On recent visits it's been a surprise to find that PINs still
aren't used when paying by credit card.

Relevant to urban transit - if way off-topic for the thread - I was also
intrigued by ticket machines on the New York subway, which would accept my
credit card to buy two one-day passes, but no more. They were clearly
programmed to accept a maximum of two transactions in quick succession using
the same card, and I couldn't find a way to buy four cards in a single
transaction

Martin