Old November 9th 12, 09:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.driving

Default Dartford crossing

On 08/11/2012 21:33, Anthony Polson wrote:
Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , JNugent
writes

There are also:
- the Tyne Tunnel (rejoicing in the title "A19" - it used to be the A1),

Point of information:
The Tyne Tunnel was never the A1. The A1 was the road over the Tyne
Bridge. The Western Bypass is now the A1.

Point of information: The Tyne Tunnel *was* intended to be on the A1.

According to my 1990 OS Atlas the A1 (T) followed what is now the
A194(M), the A184 and then the A19. The Western bypass is under
construction and expected to open mid 1990. I too can remember being driven
through the tunnel in the 70's with signs reading A1.

I can't work out whether the Tyne tunnels are Trunk routes, but the
Humber Bridge definitely is not, nor are the Mersey tolled crossings.

Old November 9th 12, 11:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.driving

In message , Nick Finnigan
writes
Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , JNugent
writes

There are also:
- the Tyne Tunnel (rejoicing in the title "A19" - it used to be the A1),

Point of information:
The Tyne Tunnel was never the A1. The A1 was the road over the Tyne
Bridge. The Western Bypass is now the A1.

Point of information: The Tyne Tunnel *was* intended to be on the A1.

According to my 1990 OS Atlas the A1 (T) followed what is now the
A194(M), the A184 and then the A19. The Western bypass is under
construction and expected to open mid 1990. I too can remember being
driven through the tunnel in the 70's with signs reading A1.

Well, I'll certainly take your word for it, but I simply don't recall
it. I never took that route myself, but stuck to the old road through
Gateshead, across the Tyne Bridge, across the Town Moor and out through
Gosforth. I've only driven through the Tyne Tunnel once - and as that
was probably after the Western Bypass was opened, the signs would not
have said 'A1'.

I can't work out whether the Tyne tunnels are Trunk routes, but the
Humber Bridge definitely is not, nor are the Mersey tolled crossings.

I guess there was some logic in keeping some road as 'The A1', as it
would simplify finding your way without a succession of changes in the
road numbers on your route.
--
Ian