Old March 16th 15, 11:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Overground down again

On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 05:21:20PM +0000, Roland Perry wrote:

[a suit] Looks smart and has lots of pockets.

Trouble is if you actually use those pockets the vast majority of suits
start to hang all wrong and bulge in the wrong places and look silly. If
you need to carry lots of stuff, then either wear something better
suited to the task or use a bag.

I hate baby seals. They get asked to all the best clubs.

Old March 16th 15, 11:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 12:04:18
on Mon, 16 Mar 2015, David Cantrell remarked:
I don't think you're right there. Most of Chelmsford is within a thirty
minute walk of the station.

A 30 min walk to the station is pushing it for a daily commute, especially if
its freezing cold or ****ing down.

I did it for about a year. A bit of rain or cold didn't hurt me.

Let me guess - you were a young single male?

[Other lifestyles are available]
Old March 16th 15, 11:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 12:17:15
on Mon, 16 Mar 2015, David Cantrell remarked:
[a suit] Looks smart and has lots of pockets.

Trouble is if you actually use those pockets the vast majority of suits
start to hang all wrong and bulge in the wrong places and look silly. If
you need to carry lots of stuff, then either wear something better
suited to the task or use a bag.

Not over-filling them is why having lots of pockets is useful. My
current suit has four inside pockets as well as the usual three on the
outside. It's helpful to have phone, Oyster, NR tickets, some small
change, a map of where I'm going; all in different ones.
Old March 16th 15, 11:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 17:10:47 on Sat, 14
Mar 2015, Neil Williams remarked:
On 2015-03-14 16:51:59 +0000, Roland Perry said:
Continuing the cap theme, 25yrs later Bruce Schneier turned up to an
OECD meeting I was at, wearing his signature cloth cap, an open shirt,
and jeans; and although you may regard it as prejudiced, the main
reaction from the people round the table was clearly "who is this idiot,
and how quickly can we get him to stop talking".

Then they are prejudiced fools,

Their main prejudice being "why would this person feel the need to make
a statement by his manner of dress, why won't his arguments speak for
themselves".

Funny, that's exactly what I think of those who wear suits. And with
better justification. Normal clothes are, well, they're normal clothes.
Suits are something that you have specially for a small part of your
life but which serve no useful purpose beyond what they look like.

--
David Cantrell | A machine for turning tea into grumpiness

One person can change the world, but most of the time they shouldn't
-- Marge Simpson
Old March 16th 15, 12:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 12:43:59
on Mon, 16 Mar 2015, David Cantrell remarked:

Continuing the cap theme, 25yrs later Bruce Schneier turned up to an
OECD meeting I was at, wearing his signature cloth cap, an open shirt,
and jeans; and although you may regard it as prejudiced, the main
reaction from the people round the table was clearly "who is this idiot,
and how quickly can we get him to stop talking".
Then they are prejudiced fools,

Their main prejudice being "why would this person feel the need to make
a statement by his manner of dress, why won't his arguments speak for
themselves".

Funny, that's exactly what I think of those who wear suits. And with
better justification. Normal clothes are, well, they're normal clothes.
Suits are something that you have specially for a small part of your
life but which serve no useful purpose beyond what they look like.

I'm sure it depends what company one keeps at work. If you turned up at
the meetings I went to, nit in a suit you'd likely be the only one
dressed like that. Probably, if I turned up at one of yours dressed in
suit, then I'd be the odd one out.

Old March 17th 15, 12:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 12:18:34PM +0000, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 12:04:18
on Mon, 16 Mar 2015, David Cantrell remarked:
I don't think you're right there. Most of Chelmsford is within a thirty
minute walk of the station.
A 30 min walk to the station is pushing it for a daily commute, especially if
its freezing cold or ****ing down.

I did it for about a year. A bit of rain or cold didn't hurt me.

Let me guess - you were a young single male?

I was. I'm not any more, but a bit of rain or cold still doesn't hurt
me. Nor does it hurt my half blind pensioner mother when she walks to
the station at oh dark thirty in the morning on one of her seemingly
continuous gallivants all over the country.

--
David Cantrell | even more awesome than a panda-fur coat

Just because it is possible to do this sort of thing
in the English language doesn't mean it should be done
Old March 17th 15, 12:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 13:26:19
on Tue, 17 Mar 2015, David Cantrell remarked:
I don't think you're right there. Most of Chelmsford is within a thirty
minute walk of the station.
A 30 min walk to the station is pushing it for a daily commute, especially if
its freezing cold or ****ing down.
I did it for about a year. A bit of rain or cold didn't hurt me.

Let me guess - you were a young single male?

I was. I'm not any more, but a bit of rain or cold still doesn't hurt
me. Nor does it hurt my half blind pensioner mother when she walks to
the station at oh dark thirty in the morning on one of her seemingly
continuous gallivants all over the country.

And both of you do that every day - like the commuters we are discussing
would be?
Old March 19th 15, 01:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 08/03/2015 23:43, Recliner wrote:

eastender wrote:
[big snip]
Unlike that very left-wing Guardian polemic article, I've no problem with
privately owned land, or the way that London has sprouted various
curiously-shaped big buildings of late. I like the Gherkin, the Shard and
even the new Walkie Talkie (less so the bland Heron Tower). The new Canary
Wharf Crossrail station is also very promising. Let's hope OOC gets similar
developments.

You obviously have no problem then with privatisation of vast tracts of
cities where no one can protest or take pictures without permission, and
where the adjoining poor neighbourhoods are almost totally excluded from
investment. Instead what we get is space opimised for commerce and bland upmarket shopping.

Actually, you can take amateur pics in those areas without permission, and
I often do. I've never been involved a protest in my life, and as far as
I'm concerned, they're a nuisance that stops me from getting to places, not
something I welcome or would want to encourage.

I find that a pretty depressing attitude from an articulate person such
as yourself. I'd hope you don't wish to suppress the right to protest,
but one could say such a notion is implicit in your comments.

Perhaps you should find something that fires you up and makes you want
to protest? There's enough out there.
Old March 19th 15, 02:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 16/03/2015 12:32, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 12:17:15
on Mon, 16 Mar 2015, David Cantrell remarked:
[a suit] Looks smart and has lots of pockets.

Trouble is if you actually use those pockets the vast majority of suits
start to hang all wrong and bulge in the wrong places and look silly. If
you need to carry lots of stuff, then either wear something better
suited to the task or use a bag.

Not over-filling them is why having lots of pockets is useful. My
current suit has four inside pockets as well as the usual three on the
outside. It's helpful to have phone, Oyster, NR tickets, some small
change, a map of where I'm going; all in different ones.

The bugger is managing to mislay something crucial in a pocket - which
bloody pocket, which damn jacket?
Old March 19th 15, 03:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 15:09:40 on Thu, 19 Mar
2015, Mizter T remarked:
[a suit] Looks smart and has lots of pockets.

Trouble is if you actually use those pockets the vast majority of suits
start to hang all wrong and bulge in the wrong places and look silly. If
you need to carry lots of stuff, then either wear something better
suited to the task or use a bag.

Not over-filling them is why having lots of pockets is useful. My
current suit has four inside pockets as well as the usual three on the
outside. It's helpful to have phone, Oyster, NR tickets, some small
change, a map of where I'm going; all in different ones.

The bugger is managing to mislay something crucial in a pocket - which
bloody pocket, which damn jacket?

I've normally got only one jacket in play at a time, even if at a
conference that's going on for a week. That's part of the joy of
anonymous-looking suits rather than a series of smart-casual bling.

As for "which pocket" - things have pockets assigned to them. Simples.