Old March 12th 15, 07:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Overground down again

In message , at 17:18:03 on Thu, 12 Mar
2015, d remarked:
For Chelmsford and Crawley the main attraction is cheaper houses and
the frequent rail service to London.
Since all three places were the homes of colleagues commuting to where I
worked in Westminster, that's the main point.
The main problem with these commuter towns is that most people don't live
within walking distance of the one main station and so its not just a rail
trip

I don't think you're right there. Most of Chelmsford is within a thirty
minute walk of the station. From a quick look at a map, Crawley is
similar - and it has three stations

A 30 min walk to the station is pushing it for a daily commute, especially if
its freezing cold or ****ing down.

We don't often agree, but on this one we do.

I used to live on a 1960's estate in Chelmsford in a house that Google
Maps tells me is 26 minutes from the station. OK for the occasional
trip, but when I had to do it every day I soon decided to buy my first
car.

The 70's/80's estates are at typically 30-45 minutes walk, and show up
on the map as "Springfield", "Baddow" etc, but are very much part of the
dormitory 'suburbs' of Chelmsford, and all have just the one station to
head for.

So, in fact, most commuters live more than 30 minutes from the station.
Old March 13th 15, 06:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thursday, 12 March 2015 20:14:02 UTC, Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

This is true. Many commuters take a bus to Chelmsford station from the outlying estates. Just too far to walk but bike is feasible.

But then, different thread, there is the lady trainee lawyer who runs the seven miles from Blackheath to the City each day to avoid the London Bridge chaos:

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/trans...-10097213.html

DRH
Old March 13th 15, 08:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at
00:55:10 on Fri, 13 Mar 2015, DRH remarked:
So, in fact, most commuters live more than 30 minutes from the station.

This is true. Many commuters take a bus to Chelmsford station from the outlying estates. Just too far to walk but bike is feasible.

But then, different thread, there is the lady trainee lawyer who runs the seven miles from Blackheath to the City each day to avoid the London
Bridge chaos:

And of course all the lady commuters will need to take two sets of shoes
if they walk(/run): the fashion shoes to match their outfit and the
comfortable ones. Not being sexist - it's just one of those well
understood differences.
Old March 13th 15, 08:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at
00:55:10 on Fri, 13 Mar 2015, DRH remarked:
So, in fact, most commuters live more than 30 minutes from the station.

This is true. Many commuters take a bus to Chelmsford station from the
outlying estates. Just too far to walk but bike is feasible.

But then, different thread, there is the lady trainee lawyer who runs
the seven miles from Blackheath to the City each day to avoid the London
Bridge chaos:

And of course all the lady commuters will need to take two sets of shoes
if they walk(/run): the fashion shoes to match their outfit and the
comfortable ones. Not being sexist - it's just one of those well understood differences.

It's pretty standard for some women to change from trainers to heels just
before (or after) arriving at the office.

Old March 13th 15, 08:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 12 Mar 2015 20:12:23 +0000
Roland Perry wrote:
The 70's/80's estates are at typically 30-45 minutes walk, and show up
on the map as "Springfield", "Baddow" etc, but are very much part of the
dormitory 'suburbs' of Chelmsford, and all have just the one station to
head for.

Many years ago I worked in farringdon with someone who lived in a village
a 30 min drive from lincoln station. Her commute could apparently take over 3
hours each way on a bad day because IIRC she had to change at nottingham and
if she missed the connection..... God knows how she stuck it , she must have
been on a good salary but had absolutely no life outside work as far as I could
tell.

--
Spud

Old March 13th 15, 08:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 13 Mar 2015 00:55:10 -0700 (PDT)
DRH wrote:
But then, different thread, there is the lady trainee lawyer who runs the
seven miles from Blackheath to the City each day to avoid the London Bridge
chaos:

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/trans...os-commuters-t
ke-extreme-measures-to-get-home-and-avoid-dangerous-overcrowding-10097213.html

I'm guessing her firm must have showers otherwise I doubt she'd be popular
with colleagues. Still, doing those miles she'll be looking at a hip
replacement op in a few years anyway.

--
Spud

Old March 13th 15, 08:29 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Friday, 13 March 2015 09:21:22 UTC, Recliner wrote:
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at
00:55:10 on Fri, 13 Mar 2015, DRH remarked:
So, in fact, most commuters live more than 30 minutes from the station.

This is true. Many commuters take a bus to Chelmsford station from the
outlying estates. Just too far to walk but bike is feasible.

But then, different thread, there is the lady trainee lawyer who runs
the seven miles from Blackheath to the City each day to avoid the London
Bridge chaos:

And of course all the lady commuters will need to take two sets of shoes
if they walk(/run): the fashion shoes to match their outfit and the
comfortable ones. Not being sexist - it's just one of those well understood differences.

It's pretty standard for some women to change from trainers to heels just
before (or after) arriving at the office.

It's certainly very common now in London. I recall seeing it in Boston 25-odd years ago. As Bostonians said/say: "Time to hit the bricks" = don trainers for trek home on the T.

DRH
Old March 13th 15, 10:06 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2015-03-13 09:20:35 +0000, Recliner said:

It's pretty standard for some women to change from trainers to heels just
before (or after) arriving at the office.

I've seen plenty of blokes doing that as well. I prefer more
functional shoes suitable for walking for half an hour or so from
station to office (as most of them are doing), but then again in work I
go for the slightly less formal, outdoorsy look that you seem to be
able to get away with. I don't do formal jackets as I get quite hot so
the first thing I would do on walking in the office is take it off.
And I've never really understood high heels on women, they don't really
do anything for me, just strike me as a bit impractical and silly.

Neil
--
Neil Williams