Old January 1st 16, 08:45 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

Default By London's Northern Line to Battersea

Roland Perry wrote:
In message

, at 17:01:31 on Fri, 1 Jan 2016, Jeremy Double

remarked:

Not a councillor since 2014. I'm just a pensioner these days.

So, under the UK tradition you do not retain the title after your term
in office?

US tradition is slightly more familiar to me. Certain titles,
President, Congressman, Judge, remain with the holder after his term

It seems to happen in the ex-military, but not the sort of roles you
mention. I don't think people can even keep a title like "Professor"
unless elected to one of the few Emeritus Professorships.

At most UK universities, professors are commonly given an Emeritus title
when they retire...

Yes, there are many around, but how automatic is it.

nb. To be a UK Professor requires one to be in effect head of a
department, the USA-ians apply the term much more widely I think.

Not true, in the UK there are typically established chairs (of which there
can be more than one in larger departments), and personal chairs, which are
awarded on merit to people with very good research records. You can apply
for an established chair position when one becomes vacant, and it's like
any other job application, whereas personal chairs are awarded by the
promotions committee to current staff who prove themselves worthy. In many
universities, having a chair is not necessary to be the head of a
department.

--
Jeremy Double

Old January 1st 16, 08:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

On Fri, 01 Jan 2016 18:38:06 +0000, Mark Goodge
wrote:

On Fri, 1 Jan 2016 17:59:46 +0000, Graeme Wall
put finger to keyboard and typed:

On 01/01/2016 14:48, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 14:11:06 on
Fri, 1 Jan 2016, e27002 aurora remarked:

Not a councillor since 2014. I'm just a pensioner these days.

So, under the UK tradition you do not retain the title after your term
in office?

US tradition is slightly more familiar to me. Certain titles,
President, Congressman, Judge, remain with the holder after his term

It seems to happen in the ex-military,

Military rule used to be, don't know if it still is, that retired
officer's of the rank of Major and above[1] could retain the use of the
title as an honorary rank in retirement.

[1] And equivalents in the other services.

Captain and above, according to Debrett's:

http://www.debretts.com/forms-addres...ormer-officers

A well-known fictional example, at least to UK readers, is Captain Peacock
from "Are You being Served?".

Mark

Finaly, something about which to be unanimous.
Old January 2nd 16, 09:25 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Fri, 1 Jan 2016 23:28:20 -0000, "D A Stocks"
wrote:

"ian batten" wrote in message
On Friday, 1 January 2016 14:55:03 UTC, e27002 wrote:

Better, IMHO, if the New Elizabethan period was known for the music
Ralph Vaughan Williams.

Why? Good music is good music, whatever the genre.

Let's see what passes the test of time. I concede the Beatles show
signs of doing just that.

Whereas Vaughan Williams doesn't. His symphonies are rarely performed

I agree that RVW doesn't represent the reign of QE2 in terms of his music,
OK, so I accept that he is not "New Elizabethan"
but he is an important figure in British music. As a singer I have performed
the Sea Symphony a number of times, including 2 commercial recordings. This
is a work that (just) pre-dates Mahler's 8th, and is not far behind it in
terms of scale which isn't bad for a first attempt at a symphony. There are
a number of other works by RVW that are unlikely to be leaving the concert
schedules here and abroad any time soon.

To my taste his work is outstanding. It has great beauty, and is
quintessentially English. And, although he was an agnostic, his work
is identifiably Christian.

How wonderful to be able perform his work. You are clearly gifted and
privileged. Sadly I have no musical ability.

During my many years in those United States, listening to his work
would take me back to my childhood in England.

Britten has been dead for 40 years,

Britten is cold, and I am not fond of him at all.

however Tippett

Not known to me. I will listen to some of his work.

was active right up
until he died 20 years ago so he is a far stronger candidate to represent
the earlier years of QE2's reign.

Old January 2nd 16, 11:53 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Sat, 02 Jan 2016 10:04:06 +0000
e27002 aurora wrote:
My issue with those people is how many of their followers became drug
users and died, or were permanently damaged. I have known two former
LSD users, who were from good backgrounds, but are mentally damaged
and will never lead normal lives.

Certain personality types are attracted to addictive or mind altering
substances or behaviours whether its drug taking, gambling or heavy drinking.
Its always been so and always will be so short of some mass eugenics program
to weed the guilty genes out of the population.

Now, they were responsible for their own actions. Let's just say
their chosen role models were sadly lacking.

Indeed they are responsible. If they want to do it thats up to them but I
personally don't see why my taxes should go to pick up the pieces of their
lives or health when it goes pear shaped.

--
Spud

Old January 2nd 16, 12:28 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

e27002 aurora wrote:
My issue with those people is how many of their followers became drug
users and died, or were permanently damaged. I have known two former
LSD users, who were from good backgrounds, but are mentally damaged
and will never lead normal lives.

Certain personality types are attracted to addictive or mind altering
substances or behaviours whether its drug taking, gambling or heavy drinking.
Its always been so and always will be so short of some mass eugenics program
to weed the guilty genes out of the population.

Now, they were responsible for their own actions. Let's just say
their chosen role models were sadly lacking.

Indeed they are responsible. If they want to do it thats up to them but I
personally don't see why my taxes should go to pick up the pieces of their
lives or health when it goes pear shaped.

Precisely. As always the taxpayer who uses his head is punished,
while the careless are rewarded.

This not the only circumstance under which HNG uses taxpayer's
hard-earned funds to remediate against others unsafe practices and
behaviors.

There is not a lot one can do about it.