Old August 12th 04, 12:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Many Birds with One Stone

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 08:23:58 +0000, Brimstone wrote:

Mark wrote:

You're joking, right? Call me crazy, but I normally associate crowds
with popularity.

So does that make vehicle congestion popular?

Hell no, neither are overflowing trains. People only get into congestion
(of whatever sort) because they have no choice.

Old August 12th 04, 12:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport,misc.transport.urban-transit

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 01:20:39 -0500, Stephen Sprunk wrote:
Groceries would be tougher, since many of them need to be put in the
refrigerator or freezer upon arrival; I doubt my landlord would go that far.
Unfortunately there's no delivery service in my area, so I drive the 3
blocks to the store every other week.

You'd have to go to the store every day or two if you were carrying food
back.
Old August 12th 04, 06:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport,misc.transport.urban-transit

Paul Weaver wrote:
On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 01:20:39 -0500, Stephen Sprunk wrote:

Groceries would be tougher, since many of them need to be put in the
refrigerator or freezer upon arrival; I doubt my landlord would go that far.
Unfortunately there's no delivery service in my area, so I drive the 3
blocks to the store every other week.

You'd have to go to the store every day or two if you were carrying food
back.

Some of us cope with that. It does, of course, depend on how close by
your shops are, and how fit you are - but it's certainly not an
insurmountable problem. The new Tesco Express/Metro and Sainsburys Local
shops popping up all over the place help to meet this need very well in
London.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old August 12th 04, 06:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport,misc.transport.urban-transit

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 19:04:31 +0100, Dave Arquati wrote:

Paul Weaver wrote:
On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 01:20:39 -0500, Stephen Sprunk wrote:

Groceries would be tougher, since many of them need to be put in the
refrigerator or freezer upon arrival; I doubt my landlord would go that far.
Unfortunately there's no delivery service in my area, so I drive the 3
blocks to the store every other week.

You'd have to go to the store every day or two if you were carrying food
back.

Some of us cope with that. It does, of course, depend on how close by
your shops are, and how fit you are - but it's certainly not an
insurmountable problem. The new Tesco Express/Metro and Sainsburys Local
shops popping up all over the place help to meet this need very well in
London.

That's what I do at the moment, fortunatly my shifts and 24 hour stores
allow it (except on Sundays), still annoying waste of an hour every two
days though. Invovles the lovely walk along the A4 from North End road to
Cromwell Street and back of course - or a walk from costsly safeway at
shepherds bush with heavy bags

Aren't Express/Compact/Meetro stores more expensive? They certainly have
less of a choice - although I'm used to supermarkets selling clothes,
DVD's, TV's etc. Safeway at the bush is better in that regard, but not
best. Looking forward to moving out in 40 days
Old August 12th 04, 07:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport,misc.transport.urban-transit

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 at 19:58:22, Paul Weaver
wrote:

That's what I do at the moment, fortunatly my shifts and 24 hour stores
allow it (except on Sundays), still annoying waste of an hour every two
days though. Invovles the lovely walk along the A4 from North End road to
Cromwell Street and back of course - or a walk from costsly safeway at
shepherds bush with heavy bags

What about North End Road Market, or doesn't that exist any more? I
used to shop there, years ago.

Aren't Express/Compact/Meetro stores more expensive?

Sainsbury's are, by miles. I don't go to them if I can help it.
--
Annabel - "Mrs Redboots"
(trying out a new .sig to reflect the personality I use in online forums)

Old August 12th 04, 07:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport,misc.transport.urban-transit

wrote:

That's what I do at the moment, fortunatly my shifts and 24 hour stores
allow it (except on Sundays), still annoying waste of an hour every two
days though. Invovles the lovely walk along the A4 from North End road
to Cromwell Street and back of course - or a walk from costsly safeway
at shepherds bush with heavy bags

What about North End Road Market, or doesn't that exist any more? I
used to shop there, years ago.

The market is way down the other end of the road, near fulham. Why the
hell would I buy food from 6 or 7 different stalls (even if they did sell
what I wanted, instead of dodgy CD's and other forgeries) with dubious
hygiene at the best of time? I take it they do frozen pizzas and 6 packs
of orange juice there?

Old August 12th 04, 08:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport,misc.transport.urban-transit

wrote:

Aren't Express/Compact/Meetro stores more expensive?

Sainsbury's are, by miles. I don't go to them if I can help it.

They are a veritable Lidl when compared to Waitrose.

greg
--
Konnt ihr mich horen?
Konnt ihr mich sehen?
Old August 12th 04, 09:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport,misc.transport.urban-transit

Roland Perry wrote:
Oh, I dunno - our car spends most of its life in the garage; we really
only keep it because we tend to take motoring holidays. And it gets
used on Sundays and one Wednesday a month. Other than that, in a normal
month, it lives in the garage.

Well, that's obviously *enough* usage for you, then. Odd how
it varies from person to person. PT's big drawback is assuming
one size fits all.

Er. Buses, buses with winding routes, buses on express routes,
trains, the underground, all that. Is that one-size? If so,
the worlds most fabulously comprehensive public transport system
could be sniped at by saying "it assumes one size fits all".
Perahps you mean PT's big drawback is not providing people with
their own car?

#Paul
Old August 12th 04, 10:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport,misc.transport.urban-transit

Paul Weaver wrote:

[...]

Tesco Kensington I take it... yes, the A4 isn't particularly nice to
walk along is it!

One solution which I haven't tried out myself is the elderly person's
shopping trolley thing which they wheel about like a suitcase. They
should really make them in patterns other than tartan; they might get
some custom from Imperial students! :-)

Aren't Express/Compact/Meetro stores more expensive? They certainly have
less of a choice - although I'm used to supermarkets selling clothes,
DVD's, TV's etc. Safeway at the bush is better in that regard, but not
best. Looking forward to moving out in 40 days

I had a choice between a Sainsburys Local practically next door and
Sainsburys on Cromwell Road about 15 mins walk away. The prices were
more expensive at the Local and the goods were more restricted - but
having everyday items close at hand helped extend the periods between
having to go to the larger store.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old August 13th 04, 12:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport,misc.transport.urban-transit

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 00:03:11 +0100, Steve Firth wrote:

Paul Weaver wrote:

Invovles the lovely walk along the A4 from North End road to
Cromwell Street and back of course

Umm, isn't the Safeway by the Cromwell much, much closer?

Which safeway? Only one I know in the area is the one in shepherds bush