Old August 16th 04, 08:40 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default LU driver's managers told him to stop assisting stab victim

"David Jackson (another one)" wrote in
message ...

I have been told that if you run over and injure a cat, you are legally
obliged to render first aid. It seems a little odd that you don't have to
assist a human, but you do an animal.

But you don't have to report the accident (to the owner of the cat or the
Police). You do have to report the accident if you injure a person, or a
dog.
Peter

Old August 16th 04, 09:24 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.railway,uk.transport.london
tim tim is offline

"Alan J. Flavell" wrote in message
a.ac.uk...
On Mon, 16 Aug 2004, Mike D wrote:

Am I right in saying that you could be charged with manslaughter if
you 'Fail to offer reasonalbe assistance' to someone in need.

I don't believe so - not in English law.

German law is certainly different - a bystander could indeed be
charged with failing to render assistance[1] (though I don't think
that failure alone could lead to a manslaughter charge as you
suggest).
But the flip side was that untrained bystanders could feel
themselves bound to intervene in a situation where their intervention
did more harm than good for the victim.

This is exactly right. Doing the wrong think and making the
injury worse is far more likely to happen than doing the
right thing and saving someone, Though this probably
doesn't apply if someone is squirting blood everwhere.

tim

Old August 16th 04, 10:26 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.railway,uk.transport.london

S.Byers wrote:

'Driver told: Stop helping stab victim'

http://www.thisislondon.com/news/art...ing%20Standard

By Dick Murray, Evening Standard, Transport Editor

The Tube train driver who tried to help a teenager dying of stab
wounds on a station platform was allegedly ordered by his boss to stop
what he was doing and continue driving.

The driver had taken off his shirt to try to stem the bleeding of
Sayed Abbas, 19, at Hounslow West station - but the young man died
shortly after being taken to the West Middlesex hospital.

He was kneeling beside the injured youth and taking instructions from
the emergency services on a mobile phone when a station supervisor
approached to say he had a message from the line controller.

The driver's union claimed he was told to "stop what he was doing and
move the train". At that point the paramedics had not arrived.

(snip the rest)

It sounds to me as though the line controller simply didn't know what
was going on, and was concerned that the train had been sitting in the
station for a while and holding up the service. Would the controller
know what was happening on the platform?

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old August 16th 04, 10:48 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Dave Arquati wrote:
S.Byers wrote:

[...]

Possibly not, but remember that this whole thread is based on a report
by Dick Murray in the Standard. Rumour only, as far as I'm concerned.
--
Richard J.

Old August 16th 04, 11:37 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Snow clearing is where your actions can result in an injury. That's
different to giving assistance to a person in need.

Although strictly speaking if someone helps another and makes things worse
they could be sued for it. I am not aware of a single case where this has
happened where the 'help' was given in the belief that what they was doing
was the right thing.

I also cant believe that a court in the UK would allow such a case to be
won.

Any law students out there beg to differ? :-)))

Steve

"Jack Taylor" wrote in message

"Fearty" wrote in message

I did a law unit at college last year and this subject came up with our
lecturer giving the example of a road crash saying that I would be under
no obligation to help the injured person but if I did help them and made
their situation worse i.e paralysed them, then they would be perfectly
entitled to sue me even though I was only genuinely just trying to help.

Yes, that's exactly the same situation as reared its head with regard to
snow clearing, back in the 1970s. If it snows and you leave your front

path
untouched and someone falls down they have no claim, if you've cleared it
and they slip over then you're liable. So much for trying to do a good

turn!

Old August 17th 04, 01:57 AM posted to uk.local.london,uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 19:05:07 +0000, Adrian wrote:

David Boothroyd ) gurgled happily, sounding
much like they were saying :

But as we see on the news today Labour ministers do like to help out
rescuing other people in difficulties

Yeh, right. Prescott rescued him "with some assistance from his bodyguard".
Want to bet on the exact division of effort?

Prescotts on a roll. Just after his Wales stunt, he's down to cornwall to
"offer his support to the emergency services."

Perhaps he sees himself as the next superhero?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cornwall/3570940.stm
Old August 17th 04, 07:42 AM posted to uk.local.london,uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Paul Weaver ) gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying :

Yeh, right. Prescott rescued him "with some assistance from his
bodyguard". Want to bet on the exact division of effort?

Prescotts on a roll. Just after his Wales stunt, he's down to cornwall
to "offer his support to the emergency services."

As if Boscastle didn't have enough problems...
Old August 17th 04, 08:32 AM posted to uk.local.london,uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Peter Masson" wrote in message

"David Jackson (another one)" wrote in
message ...

I have been told that if you run over and injure a cat, you are legally
obliged to render first aid. It seems a little odd that you don't have

assist a human, but you do an animal.

But you don't have to report the accident (to the owner of the cat or the
Police). You do have to report the accident if you injure a person, or a
dog.

Dogs but not cats eh? I guess that's a throwback to when you had to have a
licence to keep a dog?

Old August 17th 04, 09:42 AM posted to uk.local.london,uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Mark Hewitt wrote:

Dogs but not cats eh? I guess that's a throwback to when you had to
have a licence to keep a dog?

Correct.

Old August 17th 04, 09:51 AM posted to uk.local.london,uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In article , Piccadilly Pilot
writes
Mark Hewitt wrote:

Dogs but not cats eh? I guess that's a throwback to when you had to
have a licence to keep a dog?

Correct.

D G Champs is da man who covers all the notifiable animals

D Dog

G Goat

C Cattle
H Horse