Old October 15th 04, 09:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Epping-Ongar Railway services commence

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004, James Looker wrote:

Tom Anderson wrote:
On Tue, 12 Oct 2004, John Rowland wrote:

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004, simon wrote:

with the almost certain expansion of Stansted airport, in the long
term, returning the Epping-Ongar route might make sense.

Hang on, just how much are they planning to extend Stansted? I make
it about 20 km from the airport to Ongar ...

I believe he meant that a bigger Stansted will need more staff, and
they will have to live somewhere and have a way of travelling from
their homes to Stansted.

Ongar to Stansted via Liverpool Street doesn't seem a completely
brilliant idea. Ongar to Stansted via Stratford (using the planned Lea
Valley Line service) isn't hugely better. A direct coach is going to
beat that pretty easily.

Have you ever tried to get anywhere from Ongar by bus?

Have you ever tried to get anywhere from Ongar by tube?

Comparing a completely new rail service to existing bus services is a
strawman argument. If Stansted workers started to live in Ongar, the
invisible hand would work to establish effective transport links for them.

I can't believe i just wrote that with a straight face.

tom

--
there is not much call for a Chinese George Michael

Old October 17th 04, 05:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"TheOneKEA" wrote in message
om...

Today (Sun Oct 10, 2004), the Epping Ongar
Railway Preservation Society ran a train service
using a single class 117 DMU from Ongar to
North Weald and back; a week previously,
almost 10 years to the day since the Central
Line service was withdrawn, a test service
was run on Oct 3.

http://www.eorailway.co.uk/news.htm

The train ran today as well, and I was on it. They said that they will be
running every Sunday until Christmas. I am glad that I did it, because the
countryside is atttractive, even in the rain. The train reminded me a bit
too much of the horrible things that used to do Gospel Oak to Barking until
about 3 years ago, but it's always fun to see out the front of the train
from the passenger cabin. In fact, seeing out the front is such a selling
point that I am surprised it isn't standard on all modern trains.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old October 17th 04, 08:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"John Rowland" wrote in message
"TheOneKEA" wrote in message
[...]

Have you ever heard of the HSE, ASLEF and the RMT?

MJW

Old October 17th 04, 10:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"TheOneKEA" wrote in message
[...]

I have - what is your point?

Old October 18th 04, 11:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"umpston" wrote in message ...
The train ran today as well, and I was on it. They said that they will

be
running every Sunday until Christmas. I am glad that I did it, because

the
countryside is atttractive, even in the rain. The train reminded me a

bit
too much of the horrible things that used to do Gospel Oak to Barking

until
about 3 years ago, but it's always fun to see out the front of the train
from the passenger cabin. In fact, seeing out the front is such a

selling
point that I am surprised it isn't standard on all modern trains.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Have you ever heard of the HSE, ASLEF and the RMT?

I have - what is your point?

Have you ever heard of the Docklands Light Railway? You might want to check
out the front seat full ahead view that passengers get in these driverless
trains.

B2003

Old October 18th 04, 11:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 04:08:56 -0700, Boltar wrote:

I have - what is your point?

Have you ever heard of the Docklands Light Railway? You might want to
check out the front seat full ahead view that passengers get in these
driverless trains.

For the rest of us who are several hundred miles away from the DLR, it
might be better to make the point rather than give us a useless hint.

--
Chris Game

"Keep things a simple as possible, but not simpler."
-- Albert Einstein

Old October 18th 04, 12:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Chris Game" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 04:08:56 -0700, Boltar wrote:

I have - what is your point?

Have you ever heard of the Docklands Light Railway? You might want to
check out the front seat full ahead view that passengers get in these
driverless trains.

For the rest of us who are several hundred miles away from the DLR, it
might be better to make the point rather than give us a useless hint.

And those of us just 5 miles from the EOR and 10 miles from the DLR would
also like to know what point are you trying to make...?

Nick

Old October 18th 04, 12:55 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 11:08:56 UTC, (Boltar)
wrote:

: Have you ever heard of the Docklands Light Railway? You might want to check
: out the front seat full ahead view that passengers get in these driverless
: trains.

Or the front seat full ahead view on the Tyne and Wear Metro?

Ian

Old October 18th 04, 02:48 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:

: Have you ever heard of the Docklands Light Railway? You might want to
check
: out the front seat full ahead view that passengers get in these
driverless
: trains.

Or the front seat full ahead view on the Tyne and Wear Metro?

Slightly OT but also available on Adelaide suburban services due to driver's
cab being above the passengers.

PC

Old October 18th 04, 06:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
ab ab is offline

"John Rowland" wrote:

about 3 years ago, but it's always fun to see out the front of the train
from the passenger cabin. In fact, seeing out the front is such a selling
point that I am surprised it isn't standard on all modern trains.

I was very impressed, on a recent trip to Germany, to find that being
able to see out of the front of a train is the rule rather than the
exception....

The latest streamlined EMUs have a completely glass screen behind the
driver, and the three or four rows of seats behind this have dimmed
lighting so one can even continue watching after dark!

Quite spectacular viewing, especially on the hilly high-speed line
between Cologne and Frankfurt...

(ab)