Old March 17th 07, 06:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default North London Line Revisited

On Sat, 17 Mar 2007, Dave A wrote:

Venezuelan Oil Oyster

Excellent grilled, with a pinot grigio, i find.

tom

--
WHO REPLACED THE CLIENT FILES WITH TEQUILA.. ALFONZ??

Old March 17th 07, 06:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 16 Mar 2007, Edward Cowling London UK wrote:

2. Get longer trains now. Not in 5 or 7 years but make it a priority to
get the platforms enlarged and get the 4 carriage trains within the year
and extend to 6 carriages by 2012.

Not enough. They need to be 8-car, probably 12. We don't need that
capacity now, but we will do.

3. Get all the mile long goods trains to run at night. No exceptions.
During the day it's for carrying Londoners, not bags of cement.

Not really possible. However, a plan was proposed here many moons ago to
four-track the NLL throughout, from Stratford to Camden Road west
junction; there's room in the formation to do it, with apparently only a
modest amount of land take needed towards the eastern end. With a flyover
at each end, you'd have a dedicated, grade-separated two-track freight
route across London, taking freight trains out of the NLL picture
altogether.

tom

--
WHO REPLACED THE CLIENT FILES WITH TEQUILA.. ALFONZ??
Old March 17th 07, 07:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

Tom Anderson wrote:
On Fri, 16 Mar 2007, TimB wrote:

Which is what I meant by widening. The sooner the better!

I believe the issue with the gauge is not one of width, but rather of
height - the shipping industry of moving from standard containers
with a height of 8'6" to the 'high cube' type with a height of 9'6".
Standard containers will go through the W8 gauge, but high cubes
won't; i *think* high cubes will fit in W9 gauge, but don't quote me
on that - it rather depends on how high the bed of the wagon is.

That is correct, AIUI.

Old March 18th 07, 08:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Mar 16, 6:05 pm, David of Broadway
wrote:
Edward Cowling London UK wrote:

In message , Richard J.
writes

The problem is that despite raising the congestion charge and
enlarging the area, all most of us can see from Ken in the way of
transport improvement is buses.... buses the numbers of which even
God hasn't seen before :-) Then Ken made it 2 quid to get on them
!

Don't be silly; it's £1 with Oyster.

I know it's away from the thread, but I really think Oyster isn't the
solution for many people who Ken should be helping. The out of work off
to the odd interview, granny on a special trip.... they just aren't
catered for, and of course it can hit tourists hard if they aren't
prepared for it.

Prepared for what? I had no trouble obtaining an Oyster card at Heathrow.

And I can't understand why anyone who lives in the London area or ever
visits the London area wouldn't have an Oyster card.

I have got an Oyster card. My problem is that I can't use it for all
the journeys I make for a number of reasons and nor do I have the
typical options (eg when passing my local station ticket office) for
putting credit on it.

There simply isn't any justification for imposing penalty fares to
coerce people into using a system that isn't fully available.

Old March 18th 07, 10:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

On Mar 17, 7:26 pm, Tom Anderson wrote:

I believe the issue with the gauge is not one of width, but rather of
height - the shipping industry of moving from standard containers with a
height of 8'6" to the 'high cube' type with a height of 9'6". Standard
containers will go through the W8 gauge, but high cubes won't; i *think*
high cubes will fit in W9 gauge, but don't quote me on that - it rather
depends on how high the bed of the wagon is.

So, if by 'widening', you meant 'increasing the height', fine. But i wish
you'd said so in the first place!

Yup, ok - horizontal and vertical 'widening' - my fault!

Old March 18th 07, 10:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 17 Mar, 19:40, Tom Anderson wrote:
Not really possible. However, a plan was proposed here many moons ago to
four-track the NLL throughout, from Stratford to Camden Road west
junction; there's room in the formation to do it, with apparently only a
modest amount of land take needed towards the eastern end. With a flyover
at each end, you'd have a dedicated, grade-separated two-track freight
route across London, taking freight trains out of the NLL picture
altogether.

You might not need much extra land, but widening the formation east of
Dalston is surely beyond what's practical?

Old March 18th 07, 10:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london

I visited New York City a while ago, and I thought that you could buy a
single fare for $2, albeit in the form of a magnetic strip.

BTW, what are they doing over there in terms of introducing a SmartCard for
longer lengths of time? Those flimsy MetroCards with their magnetic strips
are so out of fashion.

"David of Broadway" wrote in message
Perhaps the solution is to stop offering individual tickets entirely. I
wouldn't be surprised if that's the ultimate plan. New York gave up its
traditional tokens in 2002 or 2003.

Old March 18th 07, 11:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 18 Mar 2007 04:08:56 -0700, "
wrote:

On 17 Mar, 19:40, Tom Anderson wrote:
Not really possible. However, a plan was proposed here many moons ago to
four-track the NLL throughout, from Stratford to Camden Road west
junction; there's room in the formation to do it, with apparently only a
modest amount of land take needed towards the eastern end. With a flyover
at each end, you'd have a dedicated, grade-separated two-track freight
route across London, taking freight trains out of the NLL picture
altogether.

You might not need much extra land, but widening the formation east of
Dalston is surely beyond what's practical?

I've probably not been paying a lot of attention but even trying to get
4 tracks through Hackney Central and under the mainline (Hackney Downs)
looks like a pretty tall order to me. You'd certainly be demolishing
property in the centre of Hackney including part of Clapton Bus garage
to get 4 tracks there unless I am really underestimating how wide the
alignment is. I'm not very familiar with the line east of Hackney
Central but again I think there is property close to the alignment the
whole way and I don't recall it being 4 track in the past. For those
who know better then I'm happy to be updated on what the formation is
really like.

West of Dalston I'd fully agree that 4 tracks all the way to Camden Road
is sensible and should be done with appropriate flexibility put in place
to allow passengers trains the ability to "get round" problems that
might occur on their usual 2 tracks.
--
Paul C

Old March 18th 07, 11:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 18 Mar, 12:08, Paul Corfield wrote:
On 18 Mar 2007 04:08:56 -0700, "

wrote:
[...]

Could the CTRL tunnels from Dalston to Kings Cross and then onto NLL
be used for night-time freight ?
Baz

Old March 18th 07, 12:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 18 Mar 2007 05:41:47 -0700, "Marratxi"
wrote:

Could the CTRL tunnels from Dalston to Kings Cross and then onto NLL
be used for night-time freight ?

the tunnels have no entry point at Dalston other than a deep vertical
shaft! They start near Barking IIRC but I really don't know if there is
a surface link there or not. If not I expect the nearest junction is
somewhere in Kent which doesn't really provide any solution with respect
to freight from north of the Thames.

I think there is a link in the mass of lines near Kings Cross from CTRL
onto the NLL and possibly other lines but that might involve reversal.

There is also the issue of night time track inspections which might
reduce the ability to run night time freights. Not sure how Network Rail
will look after CTRL but I expect the fact that it is new should mean a
more sophisticated approach to preventative and corrective maintenance
of the infrastructure.
--
Paul C