Old March 18th 07, 06:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default North London Line Revisited

MIG wrote:

I bet you are looking forward to Oyster being introduced on FCC/One in
Greater London, so that you'll have to get off to touch in/out and
wait half an hour for the next train every journey or else pay more
for the bit where you could do it on Oyster (probably at an
excessively hiked rate to discourage non-Oyster use in Greater London
etc).

Put a few Oyster pads on the train.
--
David of Broadway
New York, NY, USA

Old March 18th 07, 06:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

MIG wrote:

I have got an Oyster card. My problem is that I can't use it for all
the journeys I make for a number of reasons and nor do I have the
typical options (eg when passing my local station ticket office) for
putting credit on it.

Understood. I was somewhat frustrated when I discovered that daily
capping was useless if I was riding NR. And the day I went to Hampton
Court, I was a bit surprised to find that a ODTC was my best bet.

But, even if Oyster isn't /always/ the best payment mode, it /often/ is.
Since it effectively costs nothing to have one, why not keep one in
your wallet just in case?

There simply isn't any justification for imposing penalty fares to
coerce people into using a system that isn't fully available.

On the systems that accept it, how is it not fully available?

It isn't fully integrated with NR yet, and that's a shame. But it's
fully available on all TfL services, no?
--
David of Broadway
New York, NY, USA
Old March 18th 07, 07:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 15:08:48 -0400, David of Broadway
wrote:

Singapore is the EZ Pass and I have one in my wallet.

Interesting. The automated toll collection system that started in the
New York area and has spread across the Northeast (U.S.) and beyond is
called E-ZPass.

EZ-Link, I'm fairly sure, is the Singaporean variety.

Neil

--
Neil Williams

Old March 18th 07, 08:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 18 Mar, 19:40, (Colin Rosenstiel) wrote:
Indeed so but the old stock continued in use for a bit before the 313s
were introduced, did it not?

But they were Class 501s, which are 3 car units.

Old March 18th 07, 10:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

David of Broadway wrote

Me me me (I live near but outside the zones on a NR line).

And for me a paper one day travel card was better value and now I

have
a railcard, even better value.

I will admit that I have never been able to figure out ticketing

outside
the zones.

A paper ODTC is great if you'll be doing a lot of traveling once in
London, but what if you'll only be taking one or two trips?

For me just one tube round trip in zone one breaks even, so in fact my
local station no longer offers a combined train+tube Day Return off
peak.

Rail only Cheap Day Return 6.30 GBP, Combined Rail-ODTC 9.30 GBP

If you fit one of the Railcard categories 1/3 off so
CDR 4.20 Rail-ODTC 6.20

If I also take a bus or visit zone 2 (my favorite second hand book
place, Fantasy Centre, 157 Holloway Road) I am even better off compared
with the Oyster Z12 cap of 4.60

--
Mike D