Old June 26th 07, 06:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default I pay for this ?

This morning I left Palmers Green and went to Highbury and Islington for
about 8 to get the Victoria Line.

The Victoria line had signal problems so we were advised to use
alternative routes. So I got back on the rail line to Moorgate to get
the Northern Line.

The Northern line train at Moorgate didn't go anywhere because of signal
problems near Stockwell.

Can you see a pattern emerging ?

So I got on the circle line to Kings Cross to connect with (well any
sodding thing still moving south).

I tried to change lines at Kings Cross but got turfed out onto the
street as they were closing Kings Cross because it was too busy......
try the Angel they said.

So I walked to the Angel............. nothing at all going south.

At this stage I would be forgiven for just sitting in a corner and
having a good hissy fit :-)

But I then walked to Highbury & Islington, where I'd been an hour before
and after a long wait got a Victoria Line train, and arrived at work
some 1 and a half hours late !!

So I'm thinking, why am I paying £33.20 a week to put up with this crap,
and why people keep voting for Ken, the guy who promised to transform
the Tube !!

--
Edward Cowling "Must Go - The Revolution Starts At 9"

Old June 26th 07, 06:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 19:24:18 +0100, Edward Cowling London UK
wrote:

This morning I left Palmers Green and went to Highbury and Islington for
about 8 to get the Victoria Line.

The Victoria line had signal problems so we were advised to use
alternative routes. So I got back on the rail line to Moorgate to get
the Northern Line.

The Northern line train at Moorgate didn't go anywhere because of signal
problems near Stockwell.

Can you see a pattern emerging ?

I could try to explain but I don't think that would help. It was a
particularly awful morning in terms of big signal problems so I'll say
sorry instead given that I work for LU.

I agree that it is unacceptable that you and others encounter delays
like you did today.

You probably won't like my next suggestion and I would agree that you
shouldn't have to plan like this. I make sure I have a number of
alternative routes already worked out to get me to where I want to get
to. This applies for home to work and the reverse journey in particular
but it can also help at other times. This typically involves using the
bus network in order to keep moving - it's when everything stops that
the frustration really builds.

I have only got stuck once in a number of years when trying to use my
alternative routes and it is much less stressful to be able to take a
firm decision to go to the stop to catch bus x to get to y. By being
able to decide quickly you can generally get ahead of the crowd of
people who may then be forced to head for the buses and then everything
gets very busy indeed.

I don't know where you were headed but from Moorgate you have several
good bus options to head south of the river - 76, 141, 133, 100, 43.

So I'm thinking, why am I paying £33.20 a week to put up with this crap,
and why people keep voting for Ken, the guy who promised to transform
the Tube !!

I think I can guess how you will be voting.

Once again - sorry for being mucked around this morning.
--
Paul C

Old June 26th 07, 06:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I could try to explain but I don't think that would help. It was a
particularly awful morning in terms of big signal problems so I'll say
sorry instead given that I work for LU.

Ah yes but signal failures would be down to the (privatised)
infracos!!!! I'm not sure about the Victoria line, but on the
Northern that's the second time in just over a week that there has
been a points failure at Kennington when I was on duty. I blame
Tubelines - and underinvestment in general.

So do I! And it wasn't my fault!!!

Old June 26th 07, 07:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jun 26, 7:54 pm, wrote:
I could try to explain but I don't think that would help. It was a
particularly awful morning in terms of big signal problems so I'll say
sorry instead given that I work for LU.

Ah yes but signal failures would be down to the (privatised)
infracos!!!! I'm not sure about the Victoria line, but on the
Northern that's the second time in just over a week that there has
been a points failure at Kennington when I was on duty. I blame
Tubelines - and underinvestment in general.

So do I! And it wasn't my fault!!!

You are spot on there Hannah,having said that at least money is being
spent and things are said to improve under the PPP Line Upgrades
(whith equipment that wont last anywhere near as long as the current
assets)

Tubelines are crap too, but dont but anywhere near as much stick as
Metromess, but then Tubelines must make an awful lot more money -
through Transplant, Emergency Response Unit and Refuse & Distribution
Services

Also Kings Cross was closed earlier because of concrete coming through
the tunnel roof on the Piccadilly line. Very Odd that!

Old June 26th 07, 08:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london
EK EK is offline

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message
On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 19:24:18 +0100, Edward Cowling London UK

This typically involves using the
bus network in order to keep moving - it's when everything stops that
the frustration really builds.

Normally I would agree as I've been using a bus to get to work over the past
year. It usually takes about an hour door to door. However for the past few
mornings, I've had to wait over 20mins for a bus and there's only been
standing room by the time I get on. A few more stops down the route and the
bus is packed to capacity because of the delay. People are standing on the
stairs, jumping on from the back doors and standing by the driver. The
driver then throws a hissy fit and turns off the engine until people get off
the stairs and causing more delays.

What happened to a bus every 8 mins ? With people going to work and children
going to school during rush hour, one bus every 30 mins isn't good enough.
I'm now averaging 1 hour 20 door to door !

Old June 26th 07, 08:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 11:54:55 -0700, wrote:

I could try to explain but I don't think that would help. It was a
particularly awful morning in terms of big signal problems so I'll say
sorry instead given that I work for LU.

Ah yes but signal failures would be down to the (privatised)
infracos!!!! I'm not sure about the Victoria line, but on the
Northern that's the second time in just over a week that there has
been a points failure at Kennington when I was on duty. I blame
Tubelines - and underinvestment in general.

I know a great deal about Tube Lines and the Northern Line as I am
involved in managing the contract with them. We have to deal with the
payment and attribution process so we know what happens with all of
these incidents and how much they cost.

To be strictly fair to Tube Lines (they'll never believe I said that!)
they have brought forward an awful lot of money from later in the
contract to repair Northern Line track and they are expending huge
efforts in trying to get the train reliability back where it should be.
They have spent an awful lot of money to do this and they are pressing
ahead with the signalling upgrade. In addition they have lost a great
deal of money in terms of contractual abatements on the Northern Line
which they are desperate to get out from under. This is why other
spending has been brought forward to repair worn out assets. There are
a lot of issues here and a hell of a lot of effort from people in LU and
Tube Lines to make the Northern Line work. To be strictly fair as well
not every incident or delay on the railway is down to Tube Lines or
Metronet. There is plenty that LU does not get right and LU is taking
the steps to improve its performance too. While I understand why
people wish to target a particular party for blame we must remember that
it is a system and people have to work together to make it all work no
matter we might think about PPP, money, the trade unions or
privatisation.

I'll now be called a TfL Spin Doctor for having written the above
comments!

So do I! And it wasn't my fault!!!

In one sense it wasn't mine in that I didn't go and cause the failures.
I am a senior manager and people who post here are our customers /
passengers (delete as applicable). If Tim O'Toole is prepared to say
sorry and I'm sure he would then there's nothing wrong in me doing it.
Whether people believe I am sincere in what I say is their own
judgement.
--
Paul C

Old June 26th 07, 08:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 21:20:48 +0100, "EK"
wrote:

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

What route out of interest?
--
Paul C

Old June 26th 07, 08:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

I could try to explain but I don't think that would help. It was a
particularly awful morning in terms of big signal problems so I'll say
sorry instead given that I work for LU.

That's the first and only apology from LU (ok, you're not a spokesman but
I'll accept it).

The first I became aware of it was getting into Euston from Watford at
08:05. Large crowds were queueing into the underground and after a 10 minute
pass by the deliberate bottleneck I got down from the concourse and onto a
northern line train (Bank) and thought that would be it. The train waited
for 10 minutes at Euston with the driver giving regular updates about a
train stopped at Kennington. Then most bizarrely he started repeatedly
shouting for people to get on the train or leave the station. I wish I could
have recorded it. The station was to be closed. A sort of weird panic ensued
and the train took off to Kings Cross. I think at that point we were told
Euston was closing down due to a power failure. At Kings Cross the platform
was totally full and we were going nowhere. After much faffing (driver was
telling people to get off, announcements were indicating otherwise), we then
overheard lines were stopped at Circle, Hammersmith and City, Metropolitan
and Victoria. Complete chaos. I then heard Kings Cross was to close. I got
above ground at 09:00 and paid £20 got get a black cab to Bank for the DLR
to Canary Wharf for 10am. Buses were not an option.

I have only got stuck once in a number of years when trying to use my
alternative routes and it is much less stressful to be able to take a
firm decision to go to the stop to catch bus x to get to y.

You should have seen it outside Kings Cross. Try competing with about 500
other people trying to get where they're going. No amount of planning ahead
can prepare you for that.

P.S. I know the staff were under a lot of stress but I heard on various
occasions people saying "well, at least they could apologise and not just
shout at us".

Old June 26th 07, 09:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london
EK EK is offline

wrote:

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

It's the 63 heading North to Blackfriars.

Been late 2 days in a row now and had to make up the time as well.

Old June 26th 07, 09:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

I could try to explain but I don't think that would help. It was a
particularly awful morning in terms of big signal problems so I'll say
sorry instead given that I work for LU.

That's the first and only apology from LU (ok, you're not a spokesman but
I'll accept it).

The first I became aware of it was getting into Euston from Watford at
08:05. Large crowds were queueing into the underground and after a 10 minute
pass by the deliberate bottleneck I got down from the concourse and onto a
northern line train (Bank) and thought that would be it. The train waited

A brompton is your friend ;-)

I got the 07:46 from Watford arriving Euston at 08:08 (I didn't notice
the exact time we got in)

I then cycled from Euston to Moorgate and got into work around about
8:30.

One option you've got when it's impossible to get down into Euston
underground is to walk to Euston Square, travel to Moorgate and then
walk to Bank (or catch a bus - I would guess pretty much anything
travelling south on Moorgate would be ok)

And despite the weather we've been having reported in the news recently,
I've had two journeys this year (2007) where I've put on waterproofs for
cycling across London.

Tim.

and there was light.