Old July 25th 07, 01:04 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default St Pancras International

In article , Ar
wrote:

On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 13:22:32 +0100, MaxB scribed:

www.thebattens.me.uk/euro5(1040exwat).jpg

Still wondering what that scaffolding? is there for, looks like it's
hanging a net over the whole lot, looking at your picture.

Probably because the power lines above are being worked on.

Sam

Old July 25th 07, 01:30 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Ar" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 13:22:32 +0100, MaxB scribed:

www.thebattens.me.uk/euro5(1040exwat).jpg

Still wondering what that scaffolding? is there for, looks like it's
hanging a net over the whole lot, looking at your picture. Anyway,
excellent pictures you got.

I got a video of the section here.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=-NWCvM6IyGU

Thanks. The pictures would have been much better from that nice concrete
bridge!!

Yes, there is a matching scaffolding to the left with a net to catch the
wires if they fall !! There is a lot of building work going on on that side
but nets maybe a permanent feature.

Picture of the men climbing the pylon - this is the one on this side of the
track.

Regards,
MaxB

Old July 25th 07, 02:01 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Jul 25, 11:57 am, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

Both of these problems can only be rectified by changing the treaty
between the UK and France that allowed the tunnel to be built. While not
impossible, it would take a great deal of time and effort to make it
happen, and most discussion on these two newsgroups has come to the
conclusion that it is highly desirable from a railway perspective, it is
unlikely to happen any time soon.

Not forgetting that it suits Eurostar to have what is in effect a non tariff
barrier to competing new entrants to the cross channel route, so they aren't
likely to propose a relaxation of the standards. It will be interesting to
see eventually if that extends to buying high cost like for like
replacements for the existing trains, rather than 'off the shelf' units from
the then current range of TGV type trains.

We've since had EC Directives on interoperability. That is another
argument against maglev systems, especially those that use proprietary
technology, according to a report placed on the DfT website
yesterday. Possible implications for revising Tunnel regs?

Old July 25th 07, 02:17 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 07:01:15 -0700 someone who may be EE507
wrote this:-

We've since had EC Directives on interoperability.

That is a good point. It could be argued that discriminating against
an operator over the type of train they have is illegal.

However, that would not deal with the so-called security claptrap
and the Little Englander officials.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Old July 25th 07, 02:43 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Jul 25, 7:17 am, David Hansen
wrote:

On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 07:01:15 -0700 someone who may be EE507

We've since had EC Directives on interoperability.

That is a good point.

As I've posted before, I suspect any high speed train in current
production in Europe such as a TGV or ICE meets todays UIC safety
standards which I would suggest are in excess of those determined for
the channel tunnel set 15 years ago.

All that would need doing is tweaking traction packs and power car /
motor coach permutations and power/trailer ratios to fit in with the
split half train concept (which might be questioned anyway). There is
no need to worry about specifics like TVM430 since TGV and some ICE
are clearly fitted with it already.

Other details are trivial.

--
Nick

Old July 25th 07, 03:25 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Paul Scott" wrote in message
Reminder - bookings for Eurostar from St Pancras are now available via
their website

www.eurostar.com

Paul

On a more mundane note, anyone know when the pedestrian tunnel opens from
the MML platforms allowing access south to the tube station? Sick of getting
soaked!

Old July 25th 07, 03:44 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 07:38:59 on
Wed, 25 Jul 2007, A.Lee remarked:
What is the exit from Brussels like now?

Now that the "immigration" check for Belgium is done at Waterloo,
there's no queue to get off the platform, but often a queue for the
lifts down to the concourse. If you carry on past the lifts there's an
escalator (or maybe travelator, I forget which) down, which isn't
crowded, but dumps you quite a long way from anywhere you need to be,
necessitating a u-turn and walk back (a bit like MML at St Pancras at
the moment, but worse).

The only time I went, the queue seemed to go along half of the train,
and took around 40 minutes to get through the barrier, I only had a 1
hour connection, and needed to buy an onward ticket as well so was a bit
worried about getting it.

Was that when they were checking passports at Brussels?
Old July 25th 07, 04:50 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 25 Jul, 16:25, "MichaelJP" wrote:
On a more mundane note, anyone know when the pedestrian tunnel opens from
the MML platforms allowing access south to the tube station? Sick of getting
soaked!

There will be two routes from the MML concourse area to the
Underground:

1. A subway heading eastwards to the Northern Ticket Hall currently
under construction, and which will mainly serve the Vic/Pic/Northern
passengers

2. Southwards at street level inside the original St P trainshed to
the Western Ticket Hall, which will long-term mainly serve Met/Circle/
H&C passengers

The first route can't open properly until the new Northern Ticket Hall
is open. When the interim St P MML station opened a couple of years
ago the completed part of this subway, to the opposite side of Pancras
Road, was open for a little while. It was pretty useless however -
escalators to the concourse, but only stairs on Pancras Road - and it
was (is) much easier staying at street level.

The second route is through the construction zone in the trainshed,
past some of the shops, Eurostar departures/arrivals and ticket
office, so I wouldn't expect it to open until Eurostar starts on 14
November. To open any earlier would interfere with the inevitable last
minute fitting out works, a

The full plans (PDF) of the St Pancras International layout are on:
http://www.stpancras.com/content.asp?Contentid=311
and click the Retail Plan links.

Best Regards

Old July 25th 07, 04:51 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"EE507" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jul 25, 11:57 am, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

[...]

That's what I'm hinting at really - any revision of the regs is almost bound
to be led by a challenge under EU interoperability regs by a newcomer -
unless of course the EU bring the rules for any long distance tunnel into
line, which I guess has to be unlikely.

Paul

Old July 25th 07, 08:29 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 16:25:18
on Wed, 25 Jul 2007, MichaelJP remarked:
On a more mundane note, anyone know when the pedestrian tunnel opens from
the MML platforms allowing access south to the tube station? Sick of getting
soaked!

A few years I expect (when the northern ticket office opens).

Before then (not sure a date has been given, but probably before
November) you should be able to walk through the main shed (and past the
infamous Champagne bar) to the tube at the front of St Pancras.