Old July 26th 07, 05:22 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default St Pancras International

Peter Lawrence wrote:
Do I deduce from this post and Uriah's that there will be walking
routes both at platform/Champagne bar level and at undercroft/street
level? Having to use the higher level would be a pain for TL
passengers.

All walking routes will be at street/undercroft level, either south to
the western ticket hall or east to the stairs down to the new subway to
the northern ticket hall.

I don't think you can get anywhere useful at MML/E* platform level, and
the TL station looks to have exactly one way out, by going up escalators
that dump you at the NW corner of the undercroft level.

http://londonconnections.blogspot.com/
A blog about transport projects in London

Old July 26th 07, 07:32 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 17:09:45 GMT, "Peter Lawrence"
mangled uncounted electrons thus:

On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 21:29:07 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at 16:25:18
on Wed, 25 Jul 2007, MichaelJP remarked:
On a more mundane note, anyone know when the pedestrian tunnel opens from
the MML platforms allowing access south to the tube station? Sick of getting
soaked!

A few years I expect (when the northern ticket office opens).

Before then (not sure a date has been given, but probably before
November) you should be able to walk through the main shed (and past the
infamous Champagne bar) to the tube at the front of St Pancras.

Do I deduce from this post and Uriah's that there will be walking
routes both at platform/Champagne bar level and at undercroft/street
level? Having to use the higher level would be a pain for TL
passengers.

VBEG They're trying to replicate the airport experience - 'Walk
along here, up those stairs, along that corridor, down those
stairs...'

Martin D. Pay
Cynical? Moi?
Old July 26th 07, 08:11 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 17:09:45 on
Thu, 26 Jul 2007, Peter Lawrence remarked:
Do I deduce from this post and Uriah's that there will be walking
routes both at platform/Champagne bar level and at undercroft/street
level? Having to use the higher level would be a pain for TL
passengers.

There's a path through at both levels on the plans at:

http://www.stpancras.com/content.asp?Contentid=311

Although the position of the main escalators are such to persuade you to
go down to the lower level sooner rather than later.
Old July 27th 07, 12:29 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 17:09:45 on Thu,
26 Jul 2007, Peter Lawrence remarked:
Do I deduce from this post and Uriah's that there will be walking
routes both at platform/Champagne bar level and at undercroft/street
level? Having to use the higher level would be a pain for TL
passengers.

There's a path through at both levels on the plans at:

http://www.stpancras.com/content.asp?Contentid=311

Although the position of the main escalators are such to persuade you to
go down to the lower level sooner rather than later.

It doesn't look like you'll be able to transfer directly from MML trains to
Eurostar at platform level?

Presumably that would be because you'll have to go through border control?

Old July 27th 07, 12:40 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 13:29:41
on Fri, 27 Jul 2007, MichaelJP remarked:
It doesn't look like you'll be able to transfer directly from MML trains to
Eurostar at platform level?

Presumably that would be because you'll have to go through border control?

Yes, I imagine that would be the case. They would also want to keep you
in the lounge at the lower level until the inevitable "last minute"
scramble to board the train.
Old July 27th 07, 04:36 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Mr Thant" wrote in message
. uk...
Peter Lawrence wrote:
Do I deduce from this post and Uriah's that there will be walking
routes both at platform/Champagne bar level and at undercroft/street
level? Having to use the higher level would be a pain for TL
passengers.

All walking routes will be at street/undercroft level, either south to the
western ticket hall or east to the stairs down to the new subway to the
northern ticket hall.

Wrong see below please...

I don't think you can get anywhere useful at MML/E* platform level, and
the TL station looks to have exactly one way out, by going up escalators
that dump you at the NW corner of the undercroft level.

There is a route from the MML platform level all the way down to the front
of the station, on the west side, and then round towards the SE corner of
the train shed, where there is a level exit to the front of the station,
where I believe the cab entrance used to be. How else would they entice
people into the various pubs and restaurants, not to mention the champagne
bar? Exit here then leads either westwards down the old vehicle ramp towards
Euston Rd, or directly down a flight of steps to pavement level, immediately
to the south of the LU western ticket hall entrance onto Pancras Rd opposite
Kings Cross. Within the LU western ticket hall itself, there is (currently
boarded off) street level access to the St Pancras undercroft, immediately
next to the Eurostar ticket office, which is on the same level as the
combined ticket hall for the 3 domestic operators, although obviously some
distance away.

I suspect the Thameslink escalators are where they are firstly to allow easy
change between MML and Thameslink (FCC) services, and secondly, so that they
are about half way along the 12 car platforms, which aids loading the 24 tph
trains more evenly. Also, those critical of the distances between the
domestic and LU SSL platforms may find that they have been designed that way
to break up what could otherwise be large numbers arriving simultaneously
off 9 car long distance or12 car Thameslink services. Perhaps an expert on
queuing theory could comment?

Paul

Old July 28th 07, 12:50 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"A.Lee" wrote in message
David Thornhill wrote:

David (Who has yet to do Waterloo - Paris, despite several trips each
year
to Brussels.)

What is the exit from Brussels like now?
The only time I went, the queue seemed to go along half of the train,
and took around 40 minutes to get through the barrier, I only had a 1
hour connection, and needed to buy an onward ticket as well so was a bit
worried about getting it.
Then I saw the long queue for tickets - luckily there was 1 window for
'International' tickets with no queue, to which I went, and was berated
for asking to go to Rotterdam, when I should have queued in the
'domestic' queue. I was served though, and just made it.

It can be congested due to the somewhat narrow exit, but I have made five
minute connections. I'm usually going forward using my Eurostar ticket, so
no need to buy a local ticket. Try to get seat in high numbered coach, say
17, then you are next to exit at Brussels. One other tip is that masses
often queue at one exit gate, so jump the queue and go to other gate that
will open as you approach it, although on recent visits there was work to
relocate the exit gates away from platform end to just around corner that
should allow a better flow.

David