Old August 1st 07, 06:24 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default St Pancras International

On Jul 30, 10:04 pm, "BH Williams" wrote:
"John" wrote in message

... In article ,
writes

"BH Williams" wrote in message
Yes, it does. Currently, both TVM signalling and OCS start just east of
Fawkham Junction, somewhat to the north of Ashford.

Do you mean to say that the entire line from St. Pancras will run this
type
of signalling and power source? What will happen to the contact shoes,
interestingly enough?

They'll be removed, there being no further use for them

Famous last words. Why don't they simply keep them just in case? Its
not like the extra few kilos will make much difference to a 400 ton
train. What is it with railways that as soon as something isn't needed
its immediately removed/ripped up/sold off with no thought given to
any possible future need. Any railway with passengers as the highest
priority would keep waterloo as a backup destination in case of
problems but I suppose its just easier to stop all the trains and tell
the passengers to hitchike home.

B2003

Old August 1st 07, 06:31 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Jul 30, 10:13 pm, "BH Williams" wrote:
Third-rail gear will be removed pretty sharpish, I imagine- it can be a real
pain if it decides to fail in the down position, as I discovered when one
took out some track-circuit- related equipment at the UK portal at the
beginning of a morning shift. They were still fixing it when I finished

What idiot decided to put the equipment where it could be fouled by
shoegear? Given a 319 traversed the tunnel when it first opened this
equipment must be an afterthought.

B2003

Old August 1st 07, 07:04 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 11:31:15 -0700, Boltar wrote:

On Jul 30, 10:13 pm, "BH Williams" wrote:
Third-rail gear will be removed pretty sharpish, I imagine- it can be a real
pain if it decides to fail in the down position, as I discovered when one
took out some track-circuit- related equipment at the UK portal at the
beginning of a morning shift. They were still fixing it when I finished

What idiot decided to put the equipment where it could be fouled by
shoegear? Given a 319 traversed the tunnel when it first opened this
equipment must be an afterthought.

In Continental Europe, that position is 'fair game' for line side
equipment.
They could have built the tunnel with all gear clear of the 3rd rail
shoe, but all that does is move the problem of fallen/non retracted shoe
gear to the French portal.

--
Matthew Geier
Old August 1st 07, 07:07 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Boltar" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jul 30, 10:13 pm, "BH Williams" wrote:
Third-rail gear will be removed pretty sharpish, I imagine- it can be a

real
pain if it decides to fail in the down position, as I discovered when

one
took out some track-circuit- related equipment at the UK portal at the
beginning of a morning shift. They were still fixing it when I finished

What idiot decided to put the equipment where it could be fouled by
shoegear? Given a 319 traversed the tunnel when it first opened this
equipment must be an afterthought.

ISTR 319s having trouble when they worked to Rugby, when their shoegear
fouled nice high ballast shoulders on the WCML.

Peter

Old August 1st 07, 07:08 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Boltar wrote:

What will happen to the contact
shoes, interestingly enough?

They'll be removed, there being no further use for them

Famous last words. Why don't they simply keep them just in case?

There will be no point. Eurostar drivers will very soon lose route
knowledge and therefore be unable to work away from HS1

--
Bob

Old August 2nd 07, 06:18 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In article , Peter Masson
writes
ISTR 319s having trouble when they worked to Rugby, when their shoegear
fouled nice high ballast shoulders on the WCML.

Memory says that when the 313s went to Clacton for a while, they had to
have the shoegear removed for similar reasons. And I'm sure I've seen a
notice that 313s were banned from certain tracks on Euston-Camden if
they had shoes.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:
Old August 2nd 07, 08:49 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Clive D. W. Feather" wrote in message
In article , Peter Masson
writes
ISTR 319s having trouble when they worked to Rugby, when their shoegear
fouled nice high ballast shoulders on the WCML.

Memory says that when the 313s went to Clacton for a while, they had to
have the shoegear removed for similar reasons. And I'm sure I've seen a
notice that 313s were banned from certain tracks on Euston-Camden if they
had shoes.

ISTR that the 377s that now work the Watford junction service have
retractable shoegear ...

D A Stocks

Old August 2nd 07, 09:13 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Aug 1, 8:08 pm, "Bob Wood" wrote:
Boltar wrote:
What will happen to the contact
shoes, interestingly enough?
They'll be removed, there being no further use for them

Famous last words. Why don't they simply keep them just in case?

There will be no point. Eurostar drivers will very soon lose route
knowledge and therefore be unable to work away from HS1

Ok , fair enough. But surely keeping the ability to move the stock on
the 3rd rail network for some sort of stock or emergency move would
outweigh the pennies saved in maintaining the equipment?

B2003

Old August 2nd 07, 12:55 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 2 Aug, 10:13, Boltar wrote:
What will happen to the contact
shoes, interestingly enough?
They'll be removed, there being no further use for them
Famous last words. Why don't they simply keep them just in case?

There will be no point. Eurostar drivers will very soon lose route
knowledge and therefore be unable to work away from HS1

Ok , fair enough. But surely keeping the ability to move the stock on
the 3rd rail network for some sort of stock or emergency move would
outweigh the pennies saved in maintaining the equipment?

Doesn't have any real advantages over towing them with a loco - there
won't be any drivers with 373 knowledge and 3rd rail route knowledge,
so you'd need to bring one in specially - at which point, you might as
well hire a 66-and-driver to do the move,

& it's not really about the pennies saved by maintaining the equipment
- it's more about removing the potential for it to go wrong and cause
major delays, whether by thwacking French lineside equipment or
[other].

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Old August 2nd 07, 09:54 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Aug 2, 1:55 pm, John B wrote:
Doesn't have any real advantages over towing them with a loco - there
won't be any drivers with 373 knowledge and 3rd rail route knowledge,
so you'd need to bring one in specially - at which point, you might as
well hire a 66-and-driver to do the move,

Don't suppose anyone knows what will happen to the junction north of
Ashford then when St Pancras goes live? Will the spur line onto the
3rd rail network be kept for maintenance trains or will it be lifted?

B2003