Old February 7th 09, 01:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default King's Cross entrance to Underground to close

On Sat, 7 Feb 2009, Roland Perry wrote:

airside

We have to come up with a better term for this!

I think i've seen fare-paid used in this way, but it's not as snappy.

How about railside?

tom

--
YOU CANT TAKE AWAY HATGUYS HAT. THEN HE IS JUST GUY -- The_Toad

Old February 7th 09, 01:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at
14:14:48 on Sat, 7 Feb 2009, Tom Anderson
remarked:
airside

We have to come up with a better term for this!

I think i've seen fare-paid used in this way, but it's not as snappy.

How about railside?

I use "airside" because restrictions initially imposed at airports (and
which establish these boundaries) tend to trickle down into the rest of
our lives, and the term is fairly well understood.
Old February 7th 09, 02:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 7 Feb, 11:36, Roland Perry wrote:
There's a lift to a mid level by the metropolitan line stairs (the set
leading from the tube ticket hall)

Yes, but the level it goes to is not deep enough to be called a
"sub-basement. If there was a sub-basement, that lift could be extended
(downwards), assuming the sub-basement extended to whole width of the
gatelines (and the lifts down to the Northern Line are at the opposite
end).

"Sub basement" in the sense of being below (ie. "sub") the basement
level (ie. the ticket office level).

http://www.perry.co.uk/images/kx-composite-b.jpg
So where the red-circle is.

No. Diagonally southeast of there. At the corner of the ticket hall

Can you give an X/Y grid reference (where the red dot is 3.4 across and
4.2 up)?
http://www.perry.co.uk/images/kx-composite-c.jpg

5 along by 3 up.
Old February 7th 09, 03:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
, at
07:44:09 on Sat, 7 Feb 2009, lonelytraveller
remarked:

http://www.perry.co.uk/images/kx-composite-c.jpg

5 along by 3 up.

Thanks. (But isn't that quite a long way from the recently closed
corridor?)
Old February 7th 09, 03:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 7 Feb, 16:07, Roland Perry wrote:
http://www.perry.co.uk/images/kx-composite-c.jpg

5 along by 3 up.

Thanks. (But isn't that quite a long way from the recently closed
corridor?)

No, its right in the middle of it, approximately at the point where it
turned left to go up a few steps to go to the second part of the
corridor (which had a couple of phones, and a sock shop, and the
junction with the branch to the side exit steps, which have been
disused for the last year or so)

Old February 7th 09, 03:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
, at
08:21:20 on Sat, 7 Feb 2009, lonelytraveller
remarked:
http://www.perry.co.uk/images/kx-composite-c.jpg
5 along by 3 up.

Thanks. (But isn't that quite a long way from the recently closed
corridor?)

No, its right in the middle of it, approximately at the point where it
turned left to go up a few steps to go to the second part of the
corridor (which had a couple of phones, and a sock shop, and the
junction with the branch to the side exit steps, which have been
disused for the last year or so)

So you are saying the first leg of that corridor is aligned approx "4
O'clock" from the ticket office (ie parallel to the Victoria Line
escalators? It feels to me more like "2 o'clock", but it's easy to get
disorientated under ground.
Old February 7th 09, 05:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 7 Feb, 14:14, Tom Anderson wrote:
I think i've seen fare-paid used in this way, but it's not as snappy.

Paid and unpaid [areas/passageways/etc] are common in official
documents.

Old February 7th 09, 05:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 7 Feb 2009, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 14:14:48
on Sat, 7 Feb 2009, Tom Anderson remarked:
airside

We have to come up with a better term for this!

I think i've seen fare-paid used in this way, but it's not as snappy.

How about railside?

I use "airside" because restrictions initially imposed at airports (and
which establish these boundaries) tend to trickle down into the rest of
our lives, and the term is fairly well understood.

Oh, absolutely! It's immediately obvious what the term means. There's just
this little bit of my brain that complains every time i read or write it!

tom

--
YOU CANT TAKE AWAY HATGUYS HAT. THEN HE IS JUST GUY -- The_Toad
Old February 7th 09, 05:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 7 Feb, 16:53, Roland Perry wrote:
So you are saying the first leg of that corridor is aligned approx "4
O'clock" from the ticket office (ie parallel to the Victoria Line
escalators? It feels to me more like "2 o'clock", but it's easy to get
disorientated under ground.

Now here's an interesting image:
http://www.casa.ucl.ac.uk/kxpem/images/KX_lul_3.jpg

The curved passageway on the left is the one that's closing, and it
does start by heading east.

There's what appears to be a lift at the north end of the tube ticket
hall stairs, and an opening in the north wall on the paid side of the
ticket barrier that could also be a lift, and appears to very near to
the curved passageway. I'd reckon the latter is the Northern Line
lift.

Here's another diagram:
http://www.casa.ucl.ac.uk/kxpem/images/KX_lul_2.jpg

There's a blue square that looks to be in the same place as that
supposed lift. And it shows the relative positions of the passageways
to the above ground stations.

Old February 7th 09, 05:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

So you are saying the first leg of that corridor is aligned approx "4
O'clock" from the ticket office (ie parallel to the Victoria Line
escalators? It feels to me more like "2 o'clock", but it's easy to get
disorientated under ground.

http://planningonline.camden.gov.uk/...df&pageCount=1

Page 5