Old January 26th 09, 09:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default King's Cross entrance to Underground to close

On 26 Jan, 21:32, "Paul Scott" wrote:
A few boxes overlaid on that drawing would have been useful, I reckon the
entrance to the St Pancras cross passage must be just above the word 'after'
in the title...

The St Pancras passageway is the yellow one in that corner with the
various "CTRL" labels.

Interestingly it shows the north end of the tube ticket hall is
apparently directly above the northern line platform concourse, which
must be where the lift that started this thread is going to be.

Old January 26th 09, 09:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
, at
14:06:14 on Mon, 26 Jan 2009, Mr Thant
remarked:
The St Pancras passageway is the yellow one in that corner with the
various "CTRL" labels.

No, that's the subway under Pancras Rd.
Old January 26th 09, 09:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message
Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 18:20:52 on
Mon, 26 Jan 2009, Paul Scott remarked:
Yes, I'm pretty sure that's the one which said the flows would be clogged
up by people not wanting to step out into the rain.

Yes, thats about right, anyway I've found the flow diagrams again now, they
are in 'Station Design and Passenger Movements', one of the LB Camden
drawings Mizter T has just linked to at :

http://tinyurl.com/cth9rq

Oh yus. It's all deliberate. It's to "animate the square"

It's for freemasons?

--
Graeme Wall
This address is not read, substitute trains for rail.
Old January 26th 09, 09:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
In message
,
at 14:06:14 on Mon, 26 Jan 2009, Mr Thant
remarked:
The St Pancras passageway is the yellow one in that corner with the
various "CTRL" labels.

No, that's the subway under Pancras Rd.

Yes, I think it extends somewhat further in the direction shown, of course
it is already complete at the St P end isn't it

Paul

Old January 26th 09, 09:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 21:32:26 on
Mon, 26 Jan 2009, Paul Scott remarked:
There are some drawings here that help with the relative layouts:

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/rail/pi/ct...oncapacity.pdf

Figure 12 is the one that I've been working with earlier today. The
entrance "under the greenhouse" outside the SW corner of the KX listed
frontage is the one marked "Kings Cross Mainline ECML".

I reckon the shed runs parallel to the long passageway between the old
ticket office and the northern one.

Sounds good to me, with the SW corner of the main train shed immediately
adjacent to the 'NE' side of that 5-sided purple 'junction' at the left of
the stairs.

A few boxes overlaid on that drawing would have been useful, I reckon the
entrance to the St Pancras cross passage must be just above the word 'after'
in the title...

I've done a composite, as best I can quickly, which shows it's not
completely to scale: http://www.perry.co.uk/images/kx-composite.jpg

Old January 26th 09, 10:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 22:27:42 on
Mon, 26 Jan 2009, Paul Scott remarked:
The St Pancras passageway is the yellow one in that corner with the
various "CTRL" labels.

No, that's the subway under Pancras Rd.

Yes, I think it extends somewhat further in the direction shown, of course
it is already complete at the St P end isn't it

Yes, it was used briefly as a way to exit through the building site in
that vicinity, when the Kent Domestic platforms were the "temporary"
home of MML (I've got some pictures inside the passage dated Oct 04).
Been mothballed now for several years.
Old January 26th 09, 11:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 26 Jan 2009, Mizter T wrote:

Perhaps it simply exposed a fundamental weakness in the basic design,
one which can only be mitigated against

pedant

Ooh, one of my favourite grammos!

http://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/20...-mitigate.html

tom

PS What, you were expecting a /pedant?

--
The term Nihilartikel for a fictitious entry originated at the German
Wikipedia but was later identified as a hoax. -- Wikipedia
Old January 26th 09, 11:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 26 Jan 2009, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 21:32:26 on Mon, 26
[...]

Oh, that's rather good.

It matches up well with the back-of-the-envelope workings-out i did a
while ago about the location of the old Thameslink station relative to the
eastern end of the Victoria line platforms; we wondered if they were close
enough for the station building to be a useful second exit - my workings
and your overlay agree that they are.

tom