Old January 27th 09, 11:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default King's Cross entrance to Underground to close

In message
, at
04:06:25 on Tue, 27 Jan 2009, Mr Thant
remarked:
so presumably a lift to the Northern Line also opens up
interchange at Kings Cross which means you could travel from Woodside
Park to Wimbledon, for example.

Cross platform at Euston onto the Victoria, cross platform at Oxford
Circus onto the Bakerloo. At Waterloo there's step free access via the
JLE travelator and lifts, then SWT to Wimbledon.

Or via Thameslink at KX/StP (step free in its new location under St
Pancras).

Old January 27th 09, 11:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 21:32:26 on Mon,
26 Jan 2009, Paul Scott remarked:

A few boxes overlaid on that drawing would have been useful, I reckon the
entrance to the St Pancras cross passage must be just above the word
'after'
in the title...

I've done a composite, as best I can quickly, which shows it's not
completely to scale: http://www.perry.co.uk/images/kx-composite.jpg

10/10 - A 'must save' for future explanations of all this stuff...

Paul

Old January 28th 09, 01:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 17:48:20 -0800 (PST), Mizter T
wrote:
I note that the footbridge in the main trainshed was scheduled to be
removed over Christmas - I haven't been into KX lately so can't say if
this happened or not. It was fun walking over it when it was still
open, it was a distinctly forgotten corner of the station. It only
gave access to platforms 1 and 8 - was this always the case? I also
note that it's being/been taken into storage - any ideas for a new
home for it?

I had read somewhere (but I forget where) that it could end up he
http://www.universalorlando.com/harrypotter/

(disclaimer: If I'm wrong, don't let the truth get in the way of a
good story)
Old January 28th 09, 05:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jan 27, 12:45*pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:
"Roland Perry" wrote in message

I've done a composite, as best I can quickly, which shows it's not
completely to scale:http://www.perry.co.uk/images/kx-composite.jpg

Looks like one of those picyures if Russian missiles in Cuba:
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/...cY8hy/610x.jpg
Old January 28th 09, 09:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Some more pictures:

http://www.networkrail.co.uk/aspx/4059.aspx

If the result is half as beautiful as St Pancras International then
bring it on. The station redesign is part of a huge regeneration
project north of Kings X, Sainsburies head office is moving to the
site, and St Martins School of Art.

The gasometers that featured in The Ladykillers are going to be
executive flats.

Old January 28th 09, 12:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 28 Jan, 10:27, wrote:

The gasometers that featured in The Ladykillers are going to be
executive flats.

Have you seen those gazometers in Vienna? There's three of them, made
of brick. How did that work?
They are mini-villages, now, and they look fantastic. I believe you
have to be vetted before you can get a flat in one of them.

Old January 28th 09, 06:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 28 Jan 2009, Offramp wrote:

On 28 Jan, 10:27, wrote:

The gasometers that featured in The Ladykillers are going to be
executive flats.

Have you seen those gazometers in Vienna?

only from the air - and then only via the magic of the internet:

http://maps.google.com/maps?t=k&q=48...,0.004828&z=18

they really are rather remarkable:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasometer,_Vienna
http://europeforvisitors.com/switzau...meter_town.htm
http://www.phototravels.net/vienna/v...er-photos.html

There's three of them, made of brick. How did that work?

i assume the brick bit was a housing inside which the actual gas tank rose
and fell.

tom

--
It involves police, bailiffs, vampires and a portal to hell under a
tower block in Hackney.
Old January 30th 09, 09:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Mr Thant wrote:
On 27 Jan, 10:01, wrote:
Currently there are few such opportunities. The only other central
access from the north is the Jubilee Line at Westminster and Waterloo,
and then at Stanmore, Wembley Park and Kilburn, but that presumes
you're headed for Westminster. The map marks step-free access from
the sub-surface lines at Kings Cross, which could be boarded from
Wembley Park

If you change to the Met at Finchley Road the whole of the SSR is
available from the Jubilee, including the lifts at Kings Cross, and
cross platform interchange to trains in the other direction.

so presumably a lift to the Northern Line also opens up
interchange at Kings Cross which means you could travel from Woodside
Park to Wimbledon, for example.

Cross platform at Euston onto the Victoria, cross platform at Oxford
Circus onto the Bakerloo. At Waterloo there's step free access via the
JLE travelator and lifts, then SWT to Wimbledon.

(I'll admit I used the journey planner to discover this. It's
surprisingly good at it)

speaking of which what is the url for the level platform change on the
underground.
the beeb website whittled on about this the other week but i didnt see
a link