Old May 23rd 10, 07:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default Extended East London Line opens fully today

On 23 May, 20:17, "Paul Scott" wrote:

Not so - they'll run through into the turnback siding thoughtfully provided
just beyond the station, as reported in Paul C's post elsewhere in the
thread.

Paul S

I see. I arrived at the station just before the train was due to
leave, so it was already in the platform, and I didn't see where it
had come from. I think this is the first time I have been in West
Croydon station since the Wimbledon branch closed. I never need to go
towards Sutton, and if heading towards London then East Croydon is
quicker.

Old May 23rd 10, 07:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

On 23 May, 03:14, E27002 wrote:

Network Rails local radial routes "belong" to commuters. *The
Underground is the railway of Commuters and Tourists. *In many ways
the Overground system is London's railway for Londoners. *I hope in
time we will see further development. *I look forward to visiting
London and checking out the new system for myself.

This will make it easier to get onto the DLR from Croydon. Until now
it's been very slow, via Lewisham, on either the 75, or Tramlink to
Elmers end, and then train. The East London still takes quite a time
to get to Shadwell, but at least the journey to most DLR destinations
will be shorter from there than from Lewisham.
Old May 23rd 10, 07:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Stephen Furley wrote:
On 23 May, 20:17, "Paul Scott" wrote:

Not so - they'll run through into the turnback siding thoughtfully
provided just beyond the station, as reported in Paul C's post
elsewhere in the thread.

I see. I arrived at the station just before the train was due to
leave, so it was already in the platform, and I didn't see where it
had come from. I think this is the first time I have been in West
Croydon station since the Wimbledon branch closed. I never need to go
towards Sutton, and if heading towards London then East Croydon is
quicker.

I should have added that I expect trains can arrive in platform 3 from the
Norwood direction, I believe there have been some additional signals to
allow all sorts of extra moves. But as I was suggesting earlier in response
to Paul C, it makes sense to have a normal plan for when the timetable is
doing ok.

I reckon the trains will have less than 10 mins in the turnback, so once
they are that late they may well arrive into platform 3.

Paul S

Old May 23rd 10, 08:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On May 23, 6:23 pm, MIG wrote:

On 23 May, 18:12, Paul Corfield wrote:
[snip]
You have to make allowances for us "north of the river people" for whom
the "Southern Region" is still a bit of a mystery.

From that fact that you survived, I assume that you had plenty of
garlic and silver bullets.

I took a day off drinking blood today and went for a ride on the ELL -
though I didn't actually venture north of the river this time (had
forgotten my passport).

Anyhow, great stuff - the ELLX proper is finally here! Got a number of
thoughts on it all, both the 'new' bits and the rest, how it all fits
together, and what it all means for Londinium (...er, that last bit
sounds like it has the potential for extreme pretentiousness!).

But it'll have to wait - which will likely come as a relief - as I'm
somewhat frazzled after a long day spent out and about in the sun.
(Oh, the sunlight things a myth, BTW.) And no, it wasn't a long day
coz I spent it all on the ELL - I'm not that obsessed! Indeed, I
actually managed to use the line to get somewhere too, shock
horror... ;-)
Old May 23rd 10, 08:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

On May 23, 8:38*pm, Stephen Furley wrote:

On 23 May, 03:14, E27002 wrote:

Network Rails local radial routes "belong" to commuters. *The
Underground is the railway of Commuters and Tourists. *In many ways
the Overground system is London's railway for Londoners. *I hope in
time we will see further development. *I look forward to visiting
London and checking out the new system for myself.

This will make it easier to get onto the DLR from Croydon. *Until now
it's been very slow, via Lewisham, on either the 75, or Tramlink to
Elmers end, and then train. *The East London still takes quite a time
to get to Shadwell, but at least the journey to most DLR destinations
will be shorter from there than from Lewisham.

33 mins or so from West Croydon to Shadwell - depends what you think
of as "quite a time" I s'pose. Of course the eastern end of the DLR is
easily accessible via a very easy interchange off the ELL onto the
Jubilee line at Canada Water (but see below), then a further v. easy
interchange at Canning Town. (The tube/DLR interchange at Canary
Wharf/ Heron Quays isn't quite so seamless.)

Of course that's not a new journey opportunity as such - it was
available under the old ELL (via a change at New Cross Gate) - but the
through service does make it so much easier.

Quick note re the Canada Water - the interchange is easy, but at peak
times the Jubilee line is sardines, so commuters might find the
Shadwell option more realistic (esp. now that Bank to Lewisham DLR
trains are becoming 3-cars long).

Old May 23rd 10, 11:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

On 23/05/2010 03:14, E27002 wrote:

Network Rails local radial routes "belong" to commuters. The
Underground is the railway of Commuters and Tourists. In many ways
the Overground system is London's railway for Londoners.

The cover of the new map seems to deliberately avoid mentioning the ELL.
Which budget controls the tube map - LUL, London Rail, or some sort of
joint budget?
Old May 24th 10, 07:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

"Stephen Furley" wrote in message
On 23 May, 03:14, E27002 wrote:

Network Rails local radial routes "belong" to commuters. The
Underground is the railway of Commuters and Tourists. In many ways
the Overground system is London's railway for Londoners. I hope in
time we will see further development. I look forward to visiting
London and checking out the new system for myself.

This will make it easier to get onto the DLR from Croydon. Until now
it's been very slow, via Lewisham, on either the 75, or Tramlink to
Elmers end, and then train. The East London still takes quite a time
to get to Shadwell, but at least the journey to most DLR destinations
will be shorter from there than from Lewisham.

==============
What is happening this morning? All CrPal trains seem to be terminating
Surrey Quays. I was planning to try it out today.

MaxB

Old May 24th 10, 09:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

In message , Batman55
writes

What is happening this morning? All CrPal trains seem to be terminating
Surrey Quays. I was planning to try it out today.

Live departure boards are currently (10.08) showing that the service is
running through to Crystal Palace.
--
Paul Terry
Old May 24th 10, 09:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

On May 24, 12:48*am, Basil Jet wrote:

On 23/05/2010 03:14, E27002 wrote:
Network Rails local radial routes "belong" to commuters. *The
Underground is the railway of Commuters and Tourists. *In many ways
the Overground system is London's railway for Londoners.

The cover of the new map seems to deliberately avoid mentioning the ELL.
Which budget controls the tube map - LUL, London Rail, or some sort of
joint budget?

I think you're looking for a conspiracy where there isn't one...
Old May 24th 10, 09:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

On May 24, 10:09*am, Paul Terry wrote:

In message , Batman55
writes

What is happening this morning? All CrPal trains seem to be terminating
Surrey Quays. I was planning to try it out today.

Live departure boards are currently (10.08) showing that the service is
running through to Crystal Palace.

Nothing showing on LO JourneyCheck at the time of posting (10:30):
http://www.jcheck.com/londonoverground

Wonder how busy it was this morning. Also wonder how many people might
have got stuck at Canada Water waiting for a sliver of space on an
eastbound Jubilee line train during the height of the rush... the
solution being go to Shadwell instead of course (well for those Canary
Wharf bound at least).

(Perhaps a bit of a shame that the riverbus service doesn't stop at a
pier near Rotherhithe or even Wapping stations, though I rather doubt
there'd really be the requisite demand to support it.)