Old July 5th 17, 10:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Crossrail access to Heathrow still not settled

On 05/07/2017 21:32, tim... wrote:

Do many people use the train just to get between terminals, as opposed
to continuing on or changing to another train? I'd think that most
people changing terminals would use the airside buses.

I once had to use it when traffic congestion caused the airlink bus to
dump everyone at T5 and not carry forward to T123.

In fact, as that bus no longer serves T4, if that is your required
terminal you have to use HEx to make that journey every time

Airlink != Airside

Old July 5th 17, 11:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 05.07.17 20:04, John Levine wrote:
In article ,
Recliner wrote:
Of course, the system can be smart enough not to charge if someone does
touch in at a Heathrow station and touches out again a few minutes later at
a different, or even the same, Heathrow station.

The tube does that now, but I agree that gating the HeX and Connect will make life
for casual users far more exciting.

Do many people use the train just to get between terminals, as opposed
to continuing on or changing to another train? I'd think that most
people changing terminals would use the airside buses.

Remind me, BTW, please: All journeys on the Picc between T5, T4 and T123
are free, are they not?
Old July 6th 17, 07:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Someone Somewhere" wrote in message
news
On 05/07/2017 21:32, tim... wrote:

Do many people use the train just to get between terminals, as opposed
to continuing on or changing to another train? I'd think that most
people changing terminals would use the airside buses.

I once had to use it when traffic congestion caused the airlink bus to
dump everyone at T5 and not carry forward to T123.

In fact, as that bus no longer serves T4, if that is your required
terminal you have to use HEx to make that journey every time

Airlink != Airside

exactly

The statement:

"most people changing terminals would use the airside buses"
implies
"most people with a need to change terminals ARE already airside"

I was supplying cases where they were landside.

tim

Old July 6th 17, 08:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
tim... wrote:
The statement:

"most people changing terminals would use the airside buses" implies
"most people with a need to change terminals ARE already airside"

I was supplying cases where they were landside.

Right, that was my question. How many people need to change terminals
landside. The Airlink nonsense is a plausible case, as I suppose is
people connecting between T4 or T5 and coaches at the coach terminal.

But how many people is that, compared to people who connnect to
another flight, or arrive or leave in ways that don't require an
intermediate terminal change?

R's,
John

PS: fun fact: the Heathrow web site says about passenger counts:

* Daily average total number: 206,800 (51% arrivals / 49% departures)

Who are those 4136 people a day who arrive but never leave? Does this
have something to do with brexit?

Old July 6th 17, 08:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

John Levine wrote:
In article ,
tim... wrote:
[...]

Immigrants? People who arrive via Heathrow but leave via some other route?

Old July 7th 17, 07:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"John Levine" wrote in message
news
In article ,
tim... wrote:
The statement:

"most people changing terminals would use the airside buses" implies
"most people with a need to change terminals ARE already airside"

I was supplying cases where they were landside.

Right, that was my question. How many people need to change terminals
landside. The Airlink nonsense is a plausible case, as I suppose is
people connecting between T4 or T5 and coaches at the coach terminal.

But how many people is that, compared to people who connnect to
another flight, or arrive or leave in ways that don't require an
intermediate terminal change?

I think the point that it isn't very many is the reason why they advertise
HEx to transport them for free.

There's not enough to provide a dedicated bus for, and whilst there is the
possibility of directing people to use normal busses to make that connection
the huge plethora of options at LHR means that there is a large risk casual
visitors getting on the wrong one.

tim

Old July 7th 17, 09:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 20:19:05 on Thu, 6 Jul 2017,
John Levine remarked:

PS: fun fact: the Heathrow web site says about passenger counts:

* Daily average total number: 206,800 (51% arrivals / 49% departures)

Who are those 4136 people a day who arrive but never leave? Does this
have something to do with brexit?

It's complicated by the fact that they are probably double-counting
transit passengers, each one being logged as both an arrival and a
departure. So if I flew Paris-London-Longhaul-London then stopped over
using a different airport or Eurostar to get back to Paris, I'd skew the
stats.