Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 20th 04, 06:46 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Boscastle (global warming)

Greg Hennessy wrote in message . ..
On 20 Aug 2004 01:32:14 -0700, (Alex Terrell) wrote:

Colin McKenzie wrote in message ...
David Chorley wrote:
This, incidentally, is why "global warming through increased levels of
carbon dioxide in the atmosphere" was thought up as it is hogwash as
basic science and undisproveable, as it is unproveable.

If global warming is happening, it's a far more serious problem for
humanity than Islamic terrorism. Yet our politicians seem much more
exercised about the latter.

As to the theory, like all theories it cannot be proved 100%. But we
have warming, we have increased CO2, and we have a credible theory to
connect the two. Until a better theory comes along, intelligent people
without vested interests accept the hypothesis.

Colin McKenzie

Firstly, Global warming is happening, beyond reasonable doubt. It is
also beyond reasonable doubt that the chief cause of this is human
production of CO2.

Bull****, correlation != causation.

"!=" != "not always"

Which bit do you dispute?
1. Human activity is responsible for the unprecendentedly high levels of CO2
2. The high CO2 levels are largely responsible for global warming

For the last 700,000 years, CO2 concentration has varied between 180
and 300ppm.

http://www.daviesand.com/Choices/Pre...ning/New_Data/

In the last 100 years, it has risen from 280 to nearly 400 ppm.

Now I suppose that this unprecedented increase happening over the last
100 years could be a coincidence, and is perhaps nothing to do with
our CO2 production.

But more likely the additional 100 ppm is human production.