Old October 21st 04, 09:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default A406 upgrades

"Brimstone" wrote in message
John Rowland wrote:

Incidentally, I have just designed a grade separated
junction for Henlys on the back of an envelope.

Have you taken into account the topography

No problem, the envelope wasn't that crumpled.

and the geology?

No, why, should I have? I'm only talking about a few road bridges, not the
Petronas Towers.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old October 21st 04, 11:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote:
"Dave Arquati" wrote in message

The Government-approved scheme which was scrapped
recently was to build a tunnel at Henlys Corner. Although
much better for local residents than a flyover, it would
have been extremely expensive and that's why the
Mayor dropped it when he published his Transport
Strategy in 2001. Rather than making improvements
just for car users, it seems more appropriate to improve
safety for motorists and pedestrians at the junction
(given that the current footbridges are virtually unused as
pedestrians don't like being relegated to bridges and tunnels).

Where are the footbridges at Henlys?

Sorry, it's not at Henlys Corner itself but it's included within the
same scheme. It's down the road at the Brent St & Golders Green Rd
crossroads.

Incidentally, I have just designed a grade separated junction for Henlys on
the back of an envelope. It's easy - all it needs is two perpendicular
bridges and one somewhat skew bridge to give both the A1 and the A406 a
straight run through. All turns would be allowed, including A1 w/b to A406
e/b, which is currently banned. Land take would be small, and gradients
would be easy. Whether it could cope with the traffic flows is another
question.

I sense problems involved with Mutton Brook which runs directly
alongside the site. If you sink a foundation, won't it just fill up with
water there? (Bearing in mind I know nothing about engineering).

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old October 21st 04, 11:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"John Rowland" wrote in message
"Brimstone" wrote in message
John Rowland wrote:

Incidentally, I have just designed a grade separated
junction for Henlys on the back of an envelope.

Have you taken into account the topography

No problem, the envelope wasn't that crumpled.

and the geology?

No, why, should I have? I'm only talking about a few road bridges, not the
Petronas Towers.

Because if the geology isn't suitable the bridge will fall down, and a lot
of people will want to blame someone.

Old October 21st 04, 01:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Dave Arquati typed

Where are the footbridges at Henlys?

Sorry, it's not at Henlys Corner itself but it's included within the
same scheme. It's down the road at the Brent St & Golders Green Rd
crossroads.

9/10 of a mile down the A406, actually. Very convenient for a pedestrian, NOT!

The footbridge is on the side of the A502 I tend not to use, (west, I
think) so that I have to cross it twice to use the footbridge. (Parents
live south of A406 and east of A502, brother lives north of A406 and
east of A502). Foot bridge entails walk about EIGHT times as long as
walk across A406.

(There is a subway-type crossing by the Mutton Brook about halfway
between Finchley Road and Golders Green Road at Courtleigh
Gardens/Bridge Lane though)

Incidentally, I have just designed a grade separated junction for
Henlys on
the back of an envelope. It's easy - all it needs is two perpendicular
bridges and one somewhat skew bridge to give both the A1 and the A406 a
straight run through. All turns would be allowed, including A1 w/b to A406
e/b, which is currently banned. Land take would be small, and gradients
would be easy. Whether it could cope with the traffic flows is another
question.

I sense problems involved with Mutton Brook which runs directly
alongside the site. If you sink a foundation, won't it just fill up with
water there? (Bearing in mind I know nothing about engineering).

The A406 is parallel to the river Brent and *never* gets flooded ;-)...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old October 21st 04, 01:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote:

Where are the footbridges at Henlys?

It's down the road at the Brent St & Golders Green Rd crossroads.

I wouldn't call that virtually unused - there always seem to be at least one
person on it.

Incidentally, I have just designed a grade separated
junction for Henlys on the back of an envelope.
It's easy - all it needs is two perpendicular bridges
and one somewhat skew bridge to give both the A1
and the A406 a straight run through.

I sense problems involved with Mutton Brook which
runs directly alongside the site. If you sink a foundation,
won't it just fill up with water there? (Bearing in mind I
know nothing about engineering).

Neither do I, but if you look at the infrastructure a little further down at
Brent Cross and Staples Corner, I don't see why there would be
insurmountable problems. The official plan for Henlys involved two forked
tunnels each about a kilometre long, so I can't see three bridges, which are
in effect very short tunnels, being a show-stopper.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old October 22nd 04, 12:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"John Rowland" wrote in
message ...

[snip]

I sense problems involved with Mutton Brook which
runs directly alongside the site. If you sink a foundation,
won't it just fill up with water there? (Bearing in mind I
know nothing about engineering).

Neither do I, but if you look at the infrastructure a little

further down at
Brent Cross and Staples Corner, I don't see why there would be
insurmountable problems.

[snip]

Talking of bridges across the North Circular Rd, there's a plan,
which may well happen, for part of the London Cycle Network in that
area, which is well worth taking note of, even if you only walk

The original planned bike route was up the Edgware Road, but that
seems a dead loss. Going up the Edgware Road with a bike you can
either go over the North Circular on the flyover, or round the
roundabout underneath. While you get nice views from the flyovers,
and surfing roundabouts is quite fun if you are a competent cyclist,
nobody wants to make either of two alternatives an official bike
route, except to the extent that every street and road in the area,
except for the M1, automatically is an offical bike route already,
just as they are official car routes as well.

The new plan, devised by a friend of Helen Vecht's actually, would
cross the North Circular Road a bit west of the Edgware Road, and aim
at the Welsh Harp dam, to cross the Welsh Harp/River Brent on the
dam. It would be pretty scenic. Besides the Welsh Harp environs
there are a surprising number of other parks for the route to go
through, such as Gladstone Park and Roe Green Park

It looks as if the route even will be cheaper than the original
plans.

The bureaucrats seem to think its ok, although they don't exactly
welcome it, because, from their perspective, all it does is
complicate their lives, putting timetables into the wrong financial
year, and suchlike. Thus a groundswell of popular support would be
welcome.

Jeremy Parker

Old October 24th 04, 06:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Jeremy Parker" wrote in message

The original planned bike route was up the Edgware
Road, but that seems a dead loss. Going up the
Edgware Road with a bike you can either go over

under!

the North Circular on the flyover, or round the
roundabout underneath.

The new plan, devised by a friend of Helen Vecht's
actually, would cross the North Circular Road a bit
west of the Edgware Road, and aim at the Welsh Harp
dam, to cross the Welsh Harp/River Brent on the
dam. It would be pretty scenic.

Excellent! I'd love to be able to get on top of the dam. I've always thought
of it as a minor tourist attraction which wasn't being exploited.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old October 24th 04, 06:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Cycle tracks/lanes - was A406 upgrades

I'm a cyclist myself but I think far too much money and effort is being
spent on cycle lanes upon which a cyclist is hardly ever seen. The cost per
cyclist per mile must be astronomical - rather like the expense involved
with making all public buildings, particularly stations, wheelchair
accessible. The sentiments are admirable bit the cost per actual user is out
of all proportion. I do realise that what I've said is so politically
incorrect that I'll probably receive all manner of abuse and I shall
understand the reasons.
Baz

Old October 24th 04, 07:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Marratxi wrote:
I do realise that what
I've said is so politically incorrect that I'll probably receive all
manner of abuse and I shall understand the reasons.

Nah, you're safe. Surely it's politically incorrect to be abusive?

Old October 25th 04, 12:03 AM posted to uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote:
"RW" wrote in message

It is about time they did something about the A406.
It is absolutely ridiculous that such a strategic trunk
road linking east/north/west London has so many
bottlenecks, resulting in absurdly long journey times
and frayed nerves.

Is it? How can you justify completing the grade separation of the North
Circular, when the South Circular has not a single grade separated junction
and few dual carriageway sections?

The South Circular mostly does not even exist. That's the problem

--
Nick H (UK)