Old January 18th 06, 08:45 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.local.london,uk.transport.london
d d is offline

Default More HEX Shenanigans - ripoff Britain?

"John Rowland" wrote in message
"Ian F." wrote in message
"d" wrote in message
. ..

I think you've completely misunderstood what
tfl and HEX were doing that day. No wonder
the ticket agents laughed at you it's very funny.

He's just so typical of anyone who loves
to yell 'rip-off' at every possible opportunity.

He's right!

HEX is not a philanthropic society - it's there to make
money for its shareholders and to pay its staff.

HEx were presumably paid for all of the passengers who would use
travelcards
on that day, but then chose to lie to passengers in order to get more
money
from them.

Business is business

Obtaining money by deception is not called "business", it's called
"fraud".

They weren't deceiving anyone. The use of travelcards was permitted on the
service - travelcards didn't replace the HEX tickets.

I don't see why people are complaining they were allowed to travel on an
fast, expensive train for the cost of an underground ticket. No-one was
ripped off, no-one was defrauded. Some people just got a really good value
ticket, while others paid the correct fare. No-one was charged over the
fare - I don't get what the problem is.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old January 18th 06, 09:23 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

"d" wrote in message
. ..

I don't see why people are complaining they were allowed to travel on an
fast, expensive train for the cost of an underground ticket. No-one was
ripped off, no-one was defrauded. Some people just got a really good
value ticket, while others paid the correct fare. No-one was charged
over the fare - I don't get what the problem is.

You'll never get them to understand. Some people think businesses exist
solely to do them favours. I'd like to see how *they'd* run a business!
;-)

Ian

Old January 18th 06, 09:29 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

"d" wrote in message
. ..
"John Rowland" wrote in message
"Ian F." wrote in message
"d" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Can't you? The first choice cheaper route was closed. so there was no
alternative. All these rail services are operated with a subsidy from the
tax payer, so they should be a public service. Public services should be
operated in the interests of the public. Having private companies run a
service without competition is a farce.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old January 18th 06, 09:29 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

"John Band" wrote in message
oups.com...
CJB wrote:
snip
Then we saw a HEX train arriving at Paddington and it was
unsurprisingly full. We wondered how many tourists, visitors to rip-off
Britain, had also been conned into paying for full fare tickets into
London? Probably most of them.

/snip

Good. They don't contribute to TfL from their taxes, so why should they
benefit from a subsidy programme designed to reduce the financial
expense to Londoners of the Picc closure?

What a load of tosh. Tourists may not pay income tax, but they will be
paying VAT on everything they consume whilst in the UK, and they are also
one of the main forms of inward trade in the UK, so everything should be
done to treat them well.

--
John Band
e: john at johnband dot org

Old January 18th 06, 09:38 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

Mikael Armstrong wrote:
"d" wrote in message
. ..
"John Rowland" wrote in message
"Ian F." wrote in message
"d" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Actually, I don't think HEx receives any subsidy from the tax payer -
its construction and running costs were/are entirely funded by BAA, as
it's an "open access" operator.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old January 18th 06, 09:56 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

d wrote:
I don't see why people are complaining they were allowed to travel on an
fast, expensive train for the cost of an underground ticket.

They aren't. They are complaining that the information that may have
enabled people to do so was not available at all ticket outlets.

No-one was ripped off, no-one was defrauded. Some people just got a
really good value ticket, while others paid the correct fare. No-one
was charged over the fare - I don't get what the problem is.

There *may have been* some people charged over the correct fare. They
would have been the people who had intended to travel by Tube, turned up
at the Tube, found it closed, and went to HEx where they paid the full
HEx fare without being told that there was a cheaper fare available.
Having arrived at Paddington, they may even have bought a ODTC to
continue their journey, thus being overcharged by the entire amount of
the (unnecessary in their circumstances) HEx ticket.
--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p14104763.html
(37 689, 37 668, 37 712 and 37 710 at Warrington Arpley, 21 Apr 2005)
Old January 18th 06, 10:14 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

"Mikael Armstrong" wrote in message
news
"d" wrote in message
. ..
"John Rowland" wrote in message
"Ian F." wrote in message
"d" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Really? How much subsidy did/do HEX receive?

Old January 18th 06, 11:02 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.local.london,uk.transport.london
d d is offline

"Chris Tolley" wrote in message
d wrote:
[...]

And they can fill in a compensation form, submit it to TfL, and wait for
some money to be sent to them

Old January 18th 06, 11:02 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

Chris Tolley wrote:

No-one was ripped off, no-one was defrauded. Some people just got
a really good value ticket, while others paid the correct fare.
No-one was charged over the fare - I don't get what the problem is.

There *may have been* some people charged over the correct fare.
They would have been the people who had intended to travel by Tube,
turned up at the Tube, found it closed, and went to HEx where they
paid the full HEx fare without being told that there was a cheaper
fare available.

People who had intended to travel by Tube would have found the Tube
station *open* (for the service to Acton Town), but there would have
been lots of staff at the entrance to advise those who wanted to go to
central London that if they bought a Travelcard from LU, it would be
valid on HEx. At least, that's what happened last year. I wasn't there
this time, and it seems you weren't either.

If you want BAA to offer the concession to their passengers as well, who
do you propose should foot the bill and why?
--
Richard J.

HEX Ripoff .... CJB London Transport 28 December 2nd 14 11:38 PM
Ripoff tube fares [email protected] London Transport 9 September 12th 11 06:21 PM
What a ripoff. [email protected] London Transport 45 January 11th 10 10:12 PM
More shenanigans with Heathrtow Connect CJB London Transport 7 December 18th 07 01:54 AM
More HEX & Connect Shenanigans CJB London Transport 9 June 13th 06 08:57 PM