Old August 31st 06, 04:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default South Kensington to Heathrow Terminal 3 on Tuesday

David of Broadway wrote:
Everything was fine until Hounslow East, where we proceeded to sit in
the station for 20-25 minutes due to a signal failure at Hatton Cross.

* * * CORRECTION * * *

That would be Hounslow Central, not Hounslow East.

So I probably should have gotten off at Hounslow East for the 111, but I
didn't know that at the time. Eventually, announcements at Hounslow
Central advised passengers for Heathrow to backtrack to Hounslow East,
but by then trains were moving, so I stayed put.

Now perhaps this paragraph makes sense.
--
David of Broadway
New York, NY, USA

Old August 31st 06, 05:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote:
I wonder if it was Mr Fitzgerald at the mic?

Oh, I had no idea he worked the Piccadilly. I hope I didn't get him in
trouble! (In New York, conductors are reprimanded for not making
announcements strictly according to the Blue Book, and some managers who
care about these rules monitor the various Internet message boards.)

Some very nice pictures there from your travels. Brought back some
memories of several European cities that I've visited. Thanks for
posting the link.

Glad you enjoyed them! I'm glad the paranoia over photography that has
taken over in the U.S. doesn't exist in Europe. The day of the fumbled
attacks last year, I was happily clicking away, and the day the
ultra-tight security measures went into effect at UK airports this year,
I took pictures of the DLR at London City.
--
David of Broadway
New York, NY, USA
Old August 31st 06, 06:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , David of Broadway
writes
Paul Corfield wrote:
I wonder if it was Mr Fitzgerald at the mic?

Oh, I had no idea he worked the Piccadilly. I hope I didn't get him in
trouble! (In New York, conductors are reprimanded for not making
announcements strictly according to the Blue Book, and some managers
who care about these rules monitor the various Internet message boards.)

Not at all. We're strongly encouraged to make PAs when things go wrong
(which is, of course, how it should be) and regularly at other times.
We are monitored from time to time by 'mystery shoppers' to ensure we do
this. There isn't really a script as such on LU - we're expected to be
proactive and give useful announcements (YMMV on what is useful of
course).

As I've only been a driver for 4 years or so, I still feel I think like
a passenger and tend to make those extra PAs if I feel it would be
helpful (ie. trouble ahead, heard on the train radio). For what it's
worth, I had my TD1 a couple of weeks ago (it's sort of like an annual
driving test for train drivers we have to do) and one of the comments I
got back in my feedback was 'helpful and confident PAs' smug git!!.
And if that nice Mr Delieu does mine next year, I'll expect nothing less
again
Old August 31st 06, 09:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 17:00:45 +0100, Steve Fitzgerald ]
wrote:

In message , Paul Corfield
writes

Everything was fine until Hounslow East, where we proceeded to sit in
the station for 20-25 minutes due to a signal failure at Hatton Cross.
Then the driver announced that the train would be returning to the West
End. (I will say, I very much enjoyed the driver's informal
announcements. Informal announcements are strictly forbidden here in
New York!)

Well as in all things there are good and bad. Some drivers don't bother
at all, some you can't hear even though they make the effort, some talk
in "railway speak" which I can understand but most passengers cannot,
some are overhelpful with microscopically detailed commentaries while
there is a small group who pitch it very nicely with good intonation,
friendly manner and simple, polite language. Humour usually works but
occasionally it jars - for me anyway as it can sound very unprofessional
even if the passengers are smiling.

I wonder if it was Mr Fitzgerald at the mic?

Afraid not - I'm annual leave for two weeks. Although, had it been me,
I would have made similar announcements - I do believe very much in
telling people what's going on (in plain speak too!), even if I haven't
an awful lot to tell them. I believe it to be reassuring.

On holiday again!? You're never at work.

Now we could have a discussion on all this 'everything is running fine'
rubbish

Well I get very annoyed when I've had to wait for 8 mins for a Northern
Line train and I'm told via the PA that there is a good service every
120 seconds. It makes my blood boil because a good service means I
wouldn't be waiting long enough to hear one announcement never 4 or 5 of
the damn things.

I do like the idea of the whiteboards / electronic screens with the
status info - neat and easy to use.

--
Paul C

Old August 31st 06, 10:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Paul Corfield
writes
Afraid not - I'm annual leave for two weeks. Although, had it been me,
I would have made similar announcements - I do believe very much in
telling people what's going on (in plain speak too!), even if I haven't
an awful lot to tell them. I believe it to be reassuring.

On holiday again!? You're never at work.

Well with holidays and one-unders it's been rather an easy year up to
now.

Old August 31st 06, 11:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Steve Fitzgerald wrote:
Not at all. We're strongly encouraged to make PAs when things go wrong
(which is, of course, how it should be) and regularly at other times. We
are monitored from time to time by 'mystery shoppers' to ensure we do
this. There isn't really a script as such on LU - we're expected to be
proactive and give useful announcements (YMMV on what is useful of course).

Oh, certainly, announcements are not only encouraged but are required in
New York when something's gone wrong. (If anything, the initial
announcement tends to be made much sooner in New York.) But there are
definite scripts that cover most routine issues, and even when there's
no specific script, there are certain things that are not to be said.

For instance, dedicated announcers (specially trained conductors who
have the task of making station PA announcement) are not allowed to
announce that a train is delayed. Instead, they announce that the train
is "running at slower speeds." Even though that means something
different entirely.

A few years ago, I discovered a conductor on the 1 who managed to make
even routine station announcements witty. Since the 1 is my home line,
I ran into him on occasion. Several months later I found myself back on
his train, but he was making the standard boring announcements. I asked
around and found out that he had been reprimanded for not following the
Blue Book.

Incidentally, conductors in New York are required to make routine
station announcements at all stations (except, of course, on newer cars
that make their own announcements). In London, on cars that don't have
automated announcements, it seems like many drivers don't bother. Are
routine station announcements not required? And, while I'm busy asking
questions, what's with the (seemingly) automated announcements over the
station PA's (i.e., outside the train) on the Piccadilly line that would
seem to be more appropriate on the train itself?

As I've only been a driver for 4 years or so, I still feel I think like
a passenger and tend to make those extra PAs if I feel it would be
helpful (ie. trouble ahead, heard on the train radio). For what it's
worth, I had my TD1 a couple of weeks ago (it's sort of like an annual
driving test for train drivers we have to do) and one of the comments I
got back in my feedback was 'helpful and confident PAs' smug git!!.
And if that nice Mr Delieu does mine next year, I'll expect nothing less
again

Sounds good!
--
David of Broadway
New York, NY, USA
Old September 1st 06, 10:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote:
[...]

Without wishing to appear vain or shallow, feedback could be affected by
weather or not you've learnt to spell my name correctly by then..;-)
--
Cheers, Steve.
Change from jealous to sad to reply.

Old September 1st 06, 06:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote:
[...]

And I would imagine other feedback to hallowed corners of Piccadilly
Line management would be affected by whether you can spell whether
properly ;-)
--
Paul C

Old September 4th 06, 02:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Paul Corfield
writes

[...]

Game, set and match I think
Old October 29th 06, 03:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

David of Broadway wrote, back in August:
I also filled out a Customer Charter form (another concept I'm
not used to from New York) -- do I have a valid claim, and does the
voucher expire? (I'm sure I'll be back in London at some point, but I
have no idea when.)

I still haven't heard a response. Does it usually take this long? Or
is my claim invalid because I gave an overseas address?
--
David of Broadway
New York, NY, USA