Old October 9th 03, 10:06 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Zone extensions with Oyster?

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003 10:59:14 +0100, Robin Mayes wrote:
I just hope
they iron out the "issues" that are already in evidence before PAYG is
introduced though.

What issues are those?

David

Old October 9th 03, 11:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 11:59:24 +0100, Steve Naïve wrote:
David Walters wrote in
:

wrote:
I just hope
they iron out the "issues" that are already in evidence before PAYG
is introduced though.

What issues are those?

For example, as someone just pointed out, that apparently you will be
charged 'full price' (possibly a full zone 1-6 travelcard)

I think it will be a highest price single (zone 1-D, 5.30 I think).

if your journey
appears to be incomplete. That is if the scanners aren't working, or if
the gates are open at the destination

Scanner reliability is yet to be seen but it's likely that the stand
alone units will be very reliable since they don't have any moving
parts or openings to get jammed. If the gates are open you need to
remember to scan your card at a validator. That requires learning
a new habit which wont take long for most people.

What else could Oyster do for an incomplete journey?

David
Old October 9th 03, 11:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003 09:56:42 +0100, "spammy" wrote:

LOL! "my lovelife has improved loads since i got my oyster...."

Or a variation of the "Love is..." series (not leaving litter, moving
down the carriage etc):

"Love is... an oyster"

Cheers,

Jason.
Old October 9th 03, 12:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 12:42:35 +0100, Jason Hobbs King wrote:
Yes - the OysterCard helpline advised me that a PAYG fare will be a
zone 1-6 single. If the journey is less than this, the right fare will
update overnight based upon the zone where the Oyster was scanned upon
exit.

I was lead to believe that the right fare would be updated on exit
and this would be shown on the exit gate. Looks like we will have
to wait until it goe slive to actually know.

Places like Finsbury Park with no barriers will be fun! I assume
scanners will be put in place, but many will be needed.

Finsbury Park has had validators for months. The only place I know
of that doesn't have them is one exit of Finchley Central and they
have been digging that up this week. Most of them are off or closed
but I assume that will be fixed before PAYG goes live.

David

Old October 9th 03, 12:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In Steve Naïve wrote:
David Walters wrote in
:

wrote:
I just hope
they iron out the "issues" that are already in evidence before PAYG
is introduced though.

What issues are those?

For example, as someone just pointed out, that apparently you will be
charged 'full price' (possibly a full zone 1-6 travelcard) if your
journey appears to be incomplete. That is if the scanners aren't
working, or if the gates are open at the destination

At the moment, it looks like even if the gates are open, the scanners on
the gates can still be active. Of course, LU would have to educate
customers to pass their Oyster card over the scanner whether or not they
needed to in order to open the gate.

Mark
Old October 9th 03, 12:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 12:10:00 GMT, Mark Etherington wrote:
At the moment, it looks like even if the gates are open, the scanners on
the gates can still be active. Of course, LU would have to educate
customers to pass their Oyster card over the scanner whether or not they
needed to in order to open the gate.

Which they do.

"On the Tube you must touch your card on the card reader
when you enter the gates and also when you exit, even if
the gates are open."

Seems fairly clear to me.

David
Old October 9th 03, 12:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

--

wrote:
I just hope
they iron out the "issues" that are already in evidence before PAYG
is introduced though.

What issues are those?

For example, as someone just pointed out, that apparently you will be
charged 'full price' (possibly a full zone 1-6 travelcard)

I think it will be a highest price single (zone 1-D, 5.30 I think).

if your journey
appears to be incomplete. That is if the scanners aren't working, or if
the gates are open at the destination

I have a 1,2,3 travelcard. I travel from Leytonstone to Stratford on the
tube and then get the Great Eastern train to Romford. I do not need to exit
the barriers for this interchange.

Are there Scanners on the platforms (There are at Walthmstow Central BR) ?
Otherwise my journey will appear incomplete.
Will it cause a problem on a monthly Oyster ?

Old October 9th 03, 01:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003 12:42:47 +0000 (UTC), simon wrote:
I have a 1,2,3 travelcard. I travel from Leytonstone to Stratford on the
tube and then get the Great Eastern train to Romford. I do not need to exit
the barriers for this interchange.

Are there Scanners on the platforms (There are at Walthmstow Central BR) ?
Otherwise my journey will appear incomplete.
Will it cause a problem on a monthly Oyster ?

Season tickets don't need scanning (although LT would like you to)
as you have paid a flat rate so they don't need your journey data
to charge you the relevant fare. Mainline stations that accept
non-Travelcard LT tickets[1] should have readers.

David

[1] Those listed in the Conditions of Carriage notes section B.