Old December 5th 08, 07:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Photography at railway stations

In message ,
writes
In article ,
(Ian Jelf) wrote:

What I didn't say on my first reply on the subject was that quoting
the Network Rail guidelines would leave Marc open to not having
"reported in" when arriving on the station. The fact that he was
there merely to change trains and took an "opportunist" photograph
outlines this actually rather significant "hole" in the guidelines
themselves.

Nothing in what Marc quoted from Network Rail requires any form of
reporting in.

No, I realise that. It is mentioned in the full version at:

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/passen..._for_rail_enth
usiasts.html

though.

That said, it's unworkable in the circumstances described by Marc.

I was threatened with not being allowed on a rail replacement bus at
Royston this week because I suggested the member of FCC platform staff
hand out passenger charter forms to the waiting passengers to start
filling in while they were waiting

This is a very good example of companies (not just the railways)
misusing rules about "appropriate behaviour" to get ride of unwanted
complaints or problems. This happens a lot.

A few years ago a member of Central Trains' staff tried to get away from
being asked to sort out a problem by saying that I;d been abusive when I
followed the matter up. This was a tissue of lies but was a good way
out for him. (On that occasion, things developed as far as a
face-to-face meeting between me and two senior CT managers.)
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk

Old December 5th 08, 08:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message
, at
08:35:57 on Thu, 4 Dec 2008, " remarked:

{Network Rail Policy]

Taking photographs on stations is permitted providing it is for
personal use.

You are also not allowed to take photographs of security
related equipment such as CCTV cameras.

My own experience was of being told I could not take a photograph of an
M&S "Simply Food" store while standing in the public area of a station.

It would be interesting to explore whether or not Network Rail's
permission is binding upon all its tenants - including train operators.

Network rail's permission to do what? Something that you are already
legally allowed to do?

tim

Old December 5th 08, 09:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 09:40:35 on Fri, 5
Dec 2008, tim..... remarked:
My own experience was of being told I could not take a photograph of an
M&S "Simply Food" store while standing in the public area of a station.

It would be interesting to explore whether or not Network Rail's
permission is binding upon all its tenants - including train operators.

Network rail's permission to do what? Something that you are already
legally allowed to do?

I was having a "brown suede shoes" moment, and assuming that the
landowner was allowed to impose conditions on visitors, if they went to
the bother of advertising those conditions.
Old December 5th 08, 09:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
tim..... wrote:
Network rail's permission to do what? Something that you are already
legally allowed to do?

However, a landowner can (legally) ban photography on it's land
where a public right of way does not exist.

This would mean that photographers, who were aware of that ban,
become tresspassers when they take a picture.

--
Shenanigans! Shenanigans! Best of 3!
-- Flash
Old December 5th 08, 09:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 10:17:25 on Fri,
5 Dec 2008, Mike Bristow remarked:
However, a landowner can (legally) ban photography on it's land
where a public right of way does not exist.

This would mean that photographers, who were aware of that ban,
become tresspassers when they take a picture.

Interesting when the landowner's reaction is to attempt to stop the
trespasser leaving by the shortest and quickest route! (In this case a
train).

Does the landowner have the power to insist they leave by the
landowner's choice of route, when that is further and slower?

Old December 6th 08, 08:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message
I am going to reproduce below the entire Section 9 statement I have
made .......

Don't forget to keep us all updated as to any developments.

Old December 6th 08, 09:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london

EVENTS AT BIRMINHAM NEW STREET STATION, 28th NOVEMBER 2008

---------------------------------
Are there signs posted in the station saying, photography strictly
forbidden?
Why not contact the press someone like Richard Littlejohn in the Daily Mail
would have a field day with this one,
or Nick Ferrari at LBC radio who on his morning show quite often phones
these people up live to get an explanation.

Old December 6th 08, 11:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Dec 6, 9:41�am, "Albert" wrote:
wrote in message

I am going to reproduce below the entire Section 9 statement I have
made .......

Don't forget to keep us all updated as to any developments.

Thanks for all the replies!

I will certainly keep this forum updated: I have received a letter
from the P.A. to the Chief Executive of Network Rail today, promising
a full reply later.

I have certainly thought of contacting the press, but will first await
the outcome of the Railtrack and Police investigations.

At the Bar, a number of colleagues have experienced increasingly
asinine "security" behaviour, the latest being a middle-aged Q.C.
walking down Chancery Lane, stopped by City Police and asked a whole
load of pettifogging details (name, where are you going, height,
ethnicity - all of which were written on a form and handed back to
him, most of which was mis-spelled!), and when asked why he had been
stopped, the reply was "we are stopping every fifth person as a
routine check"! Just as well that Al-Quaeda suicide bombers don't come
in a groups of more than one, since only one of them would be stopped
and the next 4 at least would get through!

Marc.

Marc.
Old December 6th 08, 11:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Dec 4, 8:54�pm, Tom Anderson wrote:
Ian, surely by now it's common knowledge that many of Al Qaeda's top
fixers and quartermasters are rabid railfans? A photograph like this could
be traded for a hundredweight of ricin or two or three suicide bombings at
the current going rate!

tom

Brilliant, Tom!

My reply when accosted earlier this year at Clapham Junction for a
similar "offence", was "of course if I really were a terrorist, you
asking what I am doing would obviously bring the reply "It's a fair
cop, guv, you've caught me casing the joint for the bomb I was going
to plant later"!

Marc.