Old November 24th 12, 06:19 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

Default Drivers telling passengers to use the emergency buttons...

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 15:35:23
on Sat, 24 Nov 2012, Portsmouth Rider
remarked:

But it's not a local bus service. It's an emergency bustitution.

Which is exactly what at least three posters to this thread have been
telling you for the last few days.

Unless the bus stop has a prohibition on "Stopping", other than local
buses (there are some of those, but generally only in very congested city
centres) then anyone can stop to let a passenger out.

As a car driver, I don't need to register with the authorities weeks in
advance to stop there.

Your car is not operated for hire or reward.
You do not need a PCV licence to drive your car.
Your car cannot carry more than eight people
Your car is not operated under an O licence
Your car is not subject to an MOT test at one year old
Your car is unlikely to fail an MOT because of a missing fire extinguisher,
or a torn seat, or even just for "being dirty".
Your car is unlikely to have a bell or buzzer so passengers can signal you
to stop.
Your passengers are allowed to chat with you whilst you are driving.
You are not (usually) allowed to charge fares in your car.
You are not allowed to operate your car with as little as 1mm of tyre tread.

In other words, your car is Cat M1.

A bus can be Cat M2 or more likely Cat M3

a.. Category M1: Vehicles designed and constructed for the carriage of
passengers and comprising no more than eight seats in addition to the
driver's seat.
b.. Category M2: Vehicles designed and constructed for the carriage of
passengers, comprising more than eight seats in addition to the driver's
seat, and having a maximum mass not exceeding 5 tonnes.
c.. Category M3: Vehicles designed and constructed for the carriage of
passengers, comprising more than eight seats in addition to the driver's
seat, and having a maximum mass exceeding 5 tonnes.

Old November 24th 12, 06:40 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

In uk.transport.london message bYGdnfZVAsq0yDPNnZ2dnUVZ7tmdnZ2d@brightv
iew.com, Thu, 22 Nov 2012 16:39:21, Portsmouth Rider
posted:

Absolutely. Same sort of thing happens on Rail Replacement trips...
passengers want to be let off all over the place, when the contract is for
either actual railway station forecourts, or suitable SPECIFIED bus stops on
the main road nearby. I've actually had passengers forcing the emergency
door at traffic lights. And once you allow one passenger a unspecified stop,
they all want one - when you have to get the bus (and through passengers) on
to the station where the train set has been nailed together again, with the
minimum of delay.....

An intelligent Rail Replacement system would have, defined in the
contract, a limited number of additional non-railway-station stops, at
existing major transport interchanges, where such existed on the best
route from station to station or another route almost as good. The
stops would be chosen to maximise the expected overall customer
satisfaction.

--
(c) John Stockton, nr London, UK. For Mail, see Home Page. Turnpike, WinXP.
Web http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/ - FAQ-type topics, acronyms, and links.
Old November 24th 12, 06:53 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

In message , at 18:38:46 on Sat, 24
Nov 2012, Graeme Wall remarked:

And you've got that bit wrong as well.

I'm tempted to ask why you think I've got it wrong, but you never
respond to such requests, so I won't.

Because the comments were about people alighting, not boarding.

I've not asked for anyone to be able to board en-route.
Old November 24th 12, 07:42 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
news
In message , at 18:38:46 on Sat, 24 Nov
2012, Graeme Wall remarked:

And you've got that bit wrong as well.

I'm tempted to ask why you think I've got it wrong, but you never
respond to such requests, so I won't.

Because the comments were about people alighting, not boarding.

I've not asked for anyone to be able to board en-route.

Doesn't matter - set down; board - still a local bus service subject to
local bus service legislation.

Contracts are different - they are operated under contract, and what the
customer wants, the customer gets. And, for clarity, customer in this
context is the rail operator. Who is unlikely to specify stops away from the
actual sattion, unless there are good reasons for it (like access, low
bridge, etc).

Why don't you just give up? after all, even YOU must be able to see that you
are on a hiding to nothing. Wibbling about it on Usenet won't change
anything. Write and complain to the rail operator, and waste THEIR time.

I don't intend to waste amy more of MY time on this topic - it has been
exhaustively explained to you.

Bye.

--
Portsmouthrider

Old November 24th 12, 08:02 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

In message , Roland Perry
writes
The thoughtless pratts are the people who think it's clever to make the
bus passengers walk a mile in the dark and the rain, rather than
dropping them off somewhere more convenient that they happened to be
passing.

I am not a thoughtless prat and I certainly don't think it clever to
refuse to stop wherever I'm requested. In fact, I find it quite hard to
say no. However, once a driver has said 'yes' to the first person to ask
he must then say 'yes' to every other request to drop passengers where
they want. To act in any other way would be totally unfair.

The first requester may be young fit and travelling without luggage so a
quick stop to drop them off would seem quite reasonable. But, as I
said, you can't then reasonably refuse the next passenger who may be
frail and travelling with luggage stored in the luggage space which then
has to be retrieved.

It may surprise you, but I promise it's true, that once passengers
realise that you will stop by request their requests become ever more
demanding. You drop one passenger and just as you pull away another
request is made for 'the next corner, please' which is less than 100
yards further on! It can become quite ridiculous but you can't then
start inventing rules like stops must be at least 800 yards apart!

Malcolm

Old November 24th 12, 09:09 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

In message , at
20:42:17 on Sat, 24 Nov 2012, Portsmouth Rider
remarked:
I don't intend to waste amy more of MY time on this topic - it has been
exhaustively explained to you.

That's my view too. The "can't do" attitude of the railways couldn't
have been more starkly demonstrated.
Old November 24th 12, 09:11 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

In message , at 18:39:12 on Sat, 24
Nov 2012, Graeme Wall remarked:

"Second tree from the station" then. Still a muddy grass verge.

But an official muddy grass verge.

I'd love to see the risk assessment that said it was safer for the
passengers than a lit bus stop on the High Street.
Old November 24th 12, 09:13 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

In message , at
19:11:06 on Sat, 24 Nov 2012, Portsmouth Rider
remarked:
A bus that is on Rail Work must stop at the place that is on the Con-tract,
and must not stop at any oth-er place to set down or pick up.

Why? They aren't in competition with local buses, and it's safer to drop
someone at a lit bus stop on the High Street than an unlit muddy grass
verge that just happens to be nearer the station.
Old November 24th 12, 09:15 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

In message , at 21:02:56 on Sat, 24 Nov
2012, Malcolm Loades remarked:
It may surprise you, but I promise it's true, that once passengers
realise that you will stop by request their requests become ever more
demanding. You drop one passenger and just as you pull away another
request is made for 'the next corner, please' which is less than 100
yards further on! It can become quite ridiculous but you can't then
start inventing rules like stops must be at least 800 yards apart!

You could always stipulate that the stops must be at marked bus stops.
Or if there are only three people on the bus at the time, not be so
pedantic.
Old November 24th 12, 09:47 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 19:42:31 on Fri, 23
Nov 2012, John Williamson remarked:

Clearing snow can leave you responsible for the consequences if you do
it and don't leave a safe surface.

Not since the "Snow Code" was introduced two years ago.

The Snow Code is not statute law, and it is not common law either. It is
advice to the public by an official body, that is all. The law has not
changed in any way because of it, The Snow Code even states that you can
be held responsible for the consequences if you do not do a good enough
job, while failing to define what a good enough job is.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.