Old February 5th 09, 11:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london,cam.misc

Default UTLer in the news

In article ,
(Alan Braggins) wrote:

In article , Espen Koht
wrote:
A Honda based ambulance matching the general description today passed me
earlier today and I noted that the primary markings really are the
yellow and green on the right and left sides. The rear and front retain
mostly the underlying silver/grey colour of the vehicle, and the
low-profile light-bar could easily be confused with some arbitrary
roof-mount unless lit.

Basically, more like this:
http://www.ukemergency.co.uk/ambulance/P1150231.jpg without the yellow
bonnet.

An earlier post
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/cam...872659b40f31de
(which has X-No-Archive so will expire soon) linked to
http://www.eastanglianambulance.com/...EAAMB_240702.J
PG/image_view_fullscreen
"Which differs only in the registration number."

That's a good match (I hadn't paid much attention until I saw the
potential vehicle myself). From standing 1m in front of this I would be
more willing to assume some benefit of doubt IF the lights weren't
running at the time (or you were Leonardo da Vinci). Anything post the
initial encounter (which the driver does appear to describe as a minor
altercation in his initial complaint) shows a very poor show of
judgement which (in all honesty was no longer an emergency situation)
clearly aggravated the situation, which doesn't entirely surprise me
given Colin's general pig-headedness when he think he is right even when
proven wrong. However, apart from a well warranted reprimand, as an
elected official I feel the final verdict should be left to the voters
in this case, rather than some potentially politicised process.

Old February 6th 09, 07:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london,cam.misc

Espen Koht wrote:

In article ,
(Alan Braggins) wrote:

In article , Espen Koht
wrote:
[...]

Exactly. For a brief moment, that vehicle would have looked like the next in a sequence of bullying Chelsea tractor drivers trying to elbow their way on to the grass to save themselves a couple of quid parking fee and 5 minutes walking time at the expense of the vast majority of law-abiding attendees.

deep breath

IF the lights weren't running at the time

Even if they were. Consider which direction Colin would have been facing at just after 2 o'clock on that blazing summer's afternoon. Into sun?

Also consider that the ambulance driver had said that he'd turned off his siren. Might he have inadvertantly turned the lights off as well?

(or you were Leonardo da Vinci). Anything post the
initial encounter (which the driver does appear to describe as a minor
altercation in his initial complaint) shows a very poor show of
judgement which (in all honesty was no longer an emergency situation)
clearly aggravated the situation, which doesn't entirely surprise me
given Colin's general pig-headedness when he think he is right even when
proven wrong.

People with firm convictions do often stick with them when they shouldn't. I guess that's why they're called, y'know... 'firm'. g

But, do we want vacillators as our officials? Swaying with the wind? Bowing to whichever pressure group is the flavour of the month?

However, apart from a well warranted reprimand, as an
elected official I feel the final verdict should be left to the voters
in this case, rather than some potentially politicised process.

A referendum? Gosh, that would be interesting!

--
-blj-

Old February 6th 09, 09:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london,cam.misc

"Brian L Johnson" wrote in message
newsp.uow9x51m0v1caa@thedell...

That's a good match (I hadn't paid much attention until I saw the
potential vehicle myself). From standing 1m in front of this I would be
more willing to assume some benefit of doubt

Exactly. For a brief moment, that vehicle would have looked like the next
in a sequence of bullying Chelsea tractor drivers trying to elbow their
way on to the grass to save themselves a couple of quid parking fee and 5
minutes walking time at the expense of the vast majority of law-abiding
attendees.

All very well but the incident happened at about 8.00pm and to be facing the
traffic entering Jesus Green he would have had is back to the sun

Ian

Old February 6th 09, 09:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london,cam.misc

In article , Roland Perry
scribeth thus
In message . com, at
13:33:51 on Thu, 5 Feb 2009, Jules
remarked:
Right... I've not read the report, but I did look at the photo of the
vehicle - and it wasn't obvious that there *was* an ambulance sign on the
bonnet or sides.

There's also a certain degree of function creep in the use of the word
"Ambulance".

Is this a Fire Engine:

http://www.ukemergency.co.uk/fire/dcp00999.jpg

Perhaps it's intended or frying pan fires;?..
--
Tony Sayer

Old February 6th 09, 09:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london,cam.misc

In article op.uow9x51m0v1caa@thedell,
"Brian L Johnson" wrote:

Even if they were. Consider which direction Colin would have been facing at
just after 2 o'clock on that blazing summer's afternoon. Into sun?

I think it has been established the even took place much later in the
day, contrary to the drivers initial report, but either way I don't
think the sun would make a meaningful difference.

Also consider that the ambulance driver had said that he'd turned off his
siren. Might he have inadvertantly turned the lights off as well?

I guess it is possible, but it is also highly speculative.

(or you were Leonardo da Vinci). Anything post the
initial encounter (which the driver does appear to describe as a minor
altercation in his initial complaint) shows a very poor show of
judgement which (in all honesty was no longer an emergency situation)
clearly aggravated the situation, which doesn't entirely surprise me
given Colin's general pig-headedness when he think he is right even when
proven wrong.

People with firm convictions do often stick with them when they shouldn't. I
guess that's why they're called, y'know... 'firm'. g

There seems to have been a belief in the former US administration that
'firm' trumps 'wrong'; it doesn't.

A referendum? Gosh, that would be interesting!

What I had in mind was the normal process of elections.

Old February 6th 09, 09:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london,cam.misc

In article , magwitch wrote:
magwitch wrote:
Alan Braggins wrote:
In article , magwitch wrote:
Yeah but if he can't read... see what I'm getting (doggedly) at?

Have you considered a reading test? (And no, not for Colin.)

Careful Alan. Perhaps you ought to take a short course in etiquette.

I haven't forgotten your no show a couple of years ago, (those *free*
logs remember?) waited in all day with...

cat hit the send key :-/ increasing irritation on some people's
appalling manners these days.

I'm glad I phoned and emailed you beforehand to say I wasn't going to be
able to make it then, though I was sorry for the short notice, but fixing
the heating had to take priority.
Old February 6th 09, 10:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london,cam.misc

Brian L Johnson wrote:
Espen Koht wrote:

In article ,
(Alan Braggins) wrote:

In article , Espen Koht
wrote:
[...]

For a brief moment.

The initial reaction for someone as stupid and officious as Colin
appears, is possible.

The subsequent events are inexcusable.
Old February 6th 09, 10:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london,cam.misc

Ian Bidwell wrote:
"Brian L Johnson" wrote in message
newsp.uow9x51m0v1caa@thedell...

That's a good match (I hadn't paid much attention until I saw the
potential vehicle myself). From standing 1m in front of this I would be
more willing to assume some benefit of doubt

Exactly. For a brief moment, that vehicle would have looked like the next
in a sequence of bullying Chelsea tractor drivers trying to elbow their
way on to the grass to save themselves a couple of quid parking fee and 5
minutes walking time at the expense of the vast majority of law-abiding
attendees.

All very well but the incident happened at about 8.00pm and to be facing the
traffic entering Jesus Green he would have had is back to the sun

Not to mention his head in cloud cuckoo land.

Ian

Old February 6th 09, 10:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london,cam.misc

"Brian L Johnson" wrote:

Even if they were. Consider which direction Colin would have been
facing at
just after 2 o'clock on that blazing summer's afternoon. Into sun?

I think it has been established the even took place much later in the
day, contrary to the drivers initial report, but either way I don't
think the sun would make a meaningful difference.

Ah, yes. My confusion.

If anything, of course, it might have meant that the sun was reflecting
off the windscreen into Colin's eyes.

Also consider that the ambulance driver had said that he'd turned off
his siren. Might he have inadvertantly turned the lights off as well?

I guess it is possible, but it is also highly speculative.

Phil Lee seems to know the layout of the converted Honda CRV quite well
and he rules out any chance of turning the lights off by accident.

(or you were Leonardo da Vinci). Anything post the
initial encounter (which the driver does appear to describe as a minor
altercation in his initial complaint) shows a very poor show of
judgement which (in all honesty was no longer an emergency situation)
clearly aggravated the situation, which doesn't entirely surprise me
given Colin's general pig-headedness when he think he is right even
when proven wrong.

People with firm convictions do often stick with them when they
shouldn't. I guess that's why they're called, y'know... 'firm'. g

There seems to have been a belief in the former US administration that
'firm' trumps 'wrong'; it doesn't.

But you can be 'firm' and 'wrong' or 'firm' and 'right': they're not
mutually exclusive attributes.

--
-blj-

Old February 6th 09, 10:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london,cam.misc

Roland Perry wrote:
In message . com, at
13:33:51 on Thu, 5 Feb 2009, Jules
remarked:
Right... I've not read the report, but I did look at the photo of the
vehicle - and it wasn't obvious that there *was* an ambulance sign on the
bonnet or sides.

There's also a certain degree of function creep in the use of the word
"Ambulance".

Is this a Fire Engine:

http://www.ukemergency.co.uk/fire/dcp00999.jpg

No, it's a fire services vehicle.

A very good friend of mine in the States is a part-time firefighter.
His Subaru (his own car, by the way), has blue lights fitted front and
rear, and is officially a fire truck, so that he can get to the scene of
a fire at or before the pump engines do, which is quicker and more
efficient than holding back the pump while he makes his way to the fire
house.

I have precisely no problems with that idea.

I also have no problems with the idea that in the case of questionable
calls, a small fast car can get to the scene of a reported incident and
report back whether it requires attendance by the big (and costly to
drive) engines and firefighters.

Jon
--
SPAM BLOCK IN USE! To reply in email, replace 'deadspam'
with 'green-lines'.